Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Question, if any of my family were ever Masons are they obligated to tell me?
Posted: 02 May 2018 05:17 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  75
Joined  2011-01-18

Sorry for coming back, just some strange things coming to light, if my father was a mason is he in anyway obligated to tell me?

Signature 

Si vis pacem, para bellum…

Posted: 02 May 2018 05:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-18
Damnral - 02 May 2018 05:17 AM

Sorry for coming back, just some strange things coming to light, if my father was a mason is he in anyway obligated to tell me?

Or do I only find out at the funeral when ya’ll show up?

Signature 

Posted: 02 May 2018 05:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1293
Joined  2011-11-10

Huh? He is your father; why would he compelled to tell you anything? What he chooses to tell you is entirely up to him!

Signature 

Richard
Past Assistant Grand Director of Ceremonies, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 02 May 2018 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  989
Joined  2011-03-20

No he absolutely does not have to tell you.

However, it would seem strange if he didn’t as he is your Father!

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 02 May 2018 05:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-18

Is it common practice for masons to tell their kids they are a son of a mason? Pass the torch so to say?

Or is it usually unheard of?

Signature 

Posted: 02 May 2018 06:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-18

I’ll just take that as a no, thanks for your time.

Signature 

Posted: 02 May 2018 07:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

Give us chance to reply! :)

Dunno really is the answer. In my case, whilst I’d been to Christmas dinners and my mother’s Ladies Night, and helped transport an organ to & from lodge, I wasn’t really aware of masonry until I hit 21 and my father said ‘when you want to join just say’. Up to that point, it was just my father ‘going out for a meeting’ every other month, I wasn’t aware of what it was all about.

Signature 

Richard
Past Assistant Grand Director of Ceremonies, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 02 May 2018 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  989
Joined  2011-03-20
Damnral - 02 May 2018 05:48 AM

Is it common practice for masons to tell their kids they are a son of a mason? Pass the torch so to say?

Or is it usually unheard of?

There is absolutely no “practise”, it is whatever an individual Freemason chooses/decides to do based on his own individual circumstances and the child.

For example if his son is a troublesome little turd who he wouldn’t actually welcome to meetings of his Lodge he probably wouldn’t go out of his way to mention it.

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 10 May 2018 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4074
Joined  2007-09-27

There is nothing obligating us to tell anyone anything. 
It’s no different than joining anything else.  If you joined a tennis or golf club, would you be obligated to tell anyone that you joined?  I would say it’s a pretty similar situation in this case.

So no….dad doesn’t have to tell his kids anything.  However, most members are proud of their membership and would be very unlikely to hide it from their family.  I imagine most Dads would like in their hearts to see their sons join, but many fathers don’t ask their sons to do so, in the hopes that they will come to the decision on their own…and many do.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 11 May 2018 01:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

Totally agree. My two sons (12 & 9) are already aware of my membership and have met a number of the senior members of our Province - the ProvGM, his predecessor, the Deputy, the secretary, and the (former) DC. The oldest has already asked me how old he has to to join, so he’s already impressed with the sort of people who are members.

Signature 

Richard
UGLE.

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.2977 seconds.