Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

The Movable and Immovable Jewels
Posted: 03 April 2018 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2015-11-20

The EA Tracing board talks about Movable and Immovable Jewels.

Now in the Grand Lodge of India as well as in the United Grand Lodge of England, Grand Lodge of Scotland, Grand Lodge of Ireland, and Grand Lodges in Australia the movable jewels are the Square, the Level and the Plumb Rule whereas the immovable jewels are the Tracing Board, the Rough and Perfect Ashlars (based on the ritual charges gathered from these lodges)

The reasons for the same are:

The movable jewels are called movable because they are worn by the Master and his Wardens and transferable to their successors on the night of Installation.
The immovable jewels called immovable because they lie open and immovable in the Lodge for the Brethren to moralise upon.

While reading the book Freemasonry by Giles Morgan, I found that in US (or at least in some parts of US) the lodges have interchanged the jewels. So the movable jewels are the Tracing board, the Rough and Perfect Ashlars whereas the immovable jewels are the Square, the Level, and the Plumb Rule.

May I know what are/might be the reasons for such an interchange?

Signature 

The Learner…

Craft Lodge United Services No. 58; Royal Arch Chapter Mahadevan No. 52; Mark and Royal Ark Mariners Lodge Tech City No. 111; Conclave Unanimity No. 6; Consistory Unanimity No. 113; Southern Star Chapter Rose Croix No. 21

Posted: 03 April 2018 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2374
Joined  2011-01-20

This is not a tiled forum and the details of our ritual are something we consider to be private. I’m sure these kinds of questions can be answered by some of our moire learned brethren, but not here. I would suggest you ask in your lodge or lodge of research.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 03 April 2018 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2015-11-20

Is it possible for somebody to PM me the answer?

Signature 

The Learner…

Craft Lodge United Services No. 58; Royal Arch Chapter Mahadevan No. 52; Mark and Royal Ark Mariners Lodge Tech City No. 111; Conclave Unanimity No. 6; Consistory Unanimity No. 113; Southern Star Chapter Rose Croix No. 21

Posted: 04 April 2018 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  264
Joined  2014-06-15

Since the topic of the Movable and Immovable jewels is not one of the “secrets” in our jurisdiction (it is included in our written Monitor) I will give you MY take on it.

Immovable:

You must have a WM, Sr Warden, and Jr Warden at all times in an opened lodge and they represent Wisdom, Strength, and Beauty; so they are immovable. We don’t think about the person holding the position but rather the position/station itself. Think about this: If are doing a degree and the installed WM (or Warden) is not up to doing the part then does that mean you can’t do the degree? No, another qualified Brother can step in and temporarily assume that station. The Station did not change it just was. But the man sitting in that station can change.

As for the movable jewels…

The ashlars: we are constantly striving to reach the Perfect Ashlar which is not attainable until after death. So the process of MOVING from the Rough Ashlar to the Perfect Ashlar is a never ending process; hence moving/changing constantly.

Now the Trestle Board: The trestle board represents the Volume of Sacred Law that each Brother uses to align and keep his life on track and according to plan. But my Trestle Board may not be the same Trestle Board that you follow and means something to you. So therefore they are changeable or movable.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Sr. Warden - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 17 April 2018 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2015-11-20
Bro DHoward - 04 April 2018 06:18 AM

Since the topic of the Movable and Immovable jewels is not one of the “secrets” in our jurisdiction (it is included in our written Monitor) I will give you MY take on it.

Immovable:

You must have a WM, Sr Warden, and Jr Warden at all times in an opened lodge and they represent Wisdom, Strength, and Beauty; so they are immovable. We don’t think about the person holding the position but rather the position/station itself. Think about this: If are doing a degree and the installed WM (or Warden) is not up to doing the part then does that mean you can’t do the degree? No, another qualified Brother can step in and temporarily assume that station. The Station did not change it just was. But the man sitting in that station can change.

As for the movable jewels…

The ashlars: we are constantly striving to reach the Perfect Ashlar which is not attainable until after death. So the process of MOVING from the Rough Ashlar to the Perfect Ashlar is a never ending process; hence moving/changing constantly.

Now the Trestle Board: The trestle board represents the Volume of Sacred Law that each Brother uses to align and keep his life on track and according to plan. But my Trestle Board may not be the same Trestle Board that you follow and means something to you. So therefore they are changeable or movable.

WOW, WOW, WOW. This is by far the best answer that I got. Thank you very much for this.

Signature 

The Learner…

Posted: 17 April 2018 10:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2017-07-01

Bro Rinesh please remember that the way you do things in India is not going to be the same
way things are done in Texas-I would not answer any questions regarding work that is
done in a tyled meeting not even in a PM. Most brothers would feel the same-I’m not being
judgemental.

Posted: 17 April 2018 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2015-11-20
Engtony - 17 April 2018 10:42 PM

Bro Rinesh please remember that the way you do things in India is not going to be the same
way things are done in Texas-I would not answer any questions regarding work that is
done in a tyled meeting not even in a PM. Most brothers would feel the same-I’m not being
judgemental.

I completely agree with you, I would not ask anyone to share anything that they are not comfortable with. The explanation of certain symbols is, as per me, not something that is considered a secret in some jurisdiction, hence I tried asking for it. Obviously, if a brother is not okay with sharing them, secret or no secret, I will totally understand.

Pros - I will try to attend one of your meetings and ask as many questions or doubts that I have.
Con - the thirst for knowledge is so high that it is not easy to quench them.

Sorry in case if you feel I overstepped my line.

Signature 

The Learner…

Posted: 19 April 2018 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2374
Joined  2011-01-20

Our older brethren kept EVERYTHING secret. I figure anything not in cleartext in my cypher isn’t for public consumption.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

‹‹ Back to work

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3169 seconds.