Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You
Selling My Great-Grandfather’s Masonic Pocket Watch
Posted: 08 January 2018 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2018-01-08

My name is Owen and I myself am not a Freemason but my Great-Grandfather was.  He was a 32 degree and was part of a lodge in Lake County, Ohio, where he was once the sheriff.  I don’t have a ton of information on his interactions with the lodge other than that.  He attained a Dudley Masonic pocket watch, one from the 1st series.  They are extremely rare.  It was placed in a safety deposit box a few years before he died.  It’s been in there (or another safety deposit box) for the last 60+ years.  My father asked me to help him sell it. 

The reason I came to your forum was to make sure it had a chance to stay in the Freemason community.  It is highly sought after both by Freemason’s and pocket watch collectors.  I always like to follow the rules, and I didn’t see anything about not being able to post something like this, so if for some reason it is against the policy of this forum I will remove it.  If no one here has interest in it, that’s okay too.  There’s plenty of interest in the ebay auction now.  I just wanted to make sure you knew it existed and give you a chance to purchase a rare watch.  In addition to being a first edition, this watch also has it’s original documentation and box.  This is quite uncommon.  I have also been in touch with a pocketwatch group.  They believe that the only reason it isn’t working at the moment is because the oil used back then wasn’t as good and it is probably gummed up.  I’m going to do a few tests and add that on to the auction site soon. 

If you have questions or if you just want to talk respond to this and I’ll get back to you. 

Click here to check out the auction

Blessings to you all! 

Posted: 09 January 2018 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Total Posts:  790
Joined  2007-03-18

Thank you for your post and for joining the forum. As you may have read, this Forum is designed to help men become Freemasons – it is not a general Masonic posting board, and we do not allow commercial postings.

On the other hand, over the years we couldn’t help noticing that many of our younger members came to Masonry because they discovered that while their Fathers were not Masons, their grandfathers were, and they were intrigued enough to check it out.  So while you obviously want to help your father sell the watch, the fact that you want to see it stay in the Masonic Family indicates some kind of heartstring pulling on you☺  And the fact that you took the time to join this Forum tells me something.

This does appear to be a beautiful pocket watch being listed on a legitimate Ebay site – the watch contains not only the square and compasses but also the working tools – so it would indicate to me that it was truly made to stay in the Fraternity.

In our Lodge we have a gold pocket watch that was given to the Lodge over 100 years ago by one of our members. I suppose he could have sold it, but he gave it to the Lodge instead.  We keep it in good shape and every new Master has the honor of wearing it for his time in office.  I’m sure your grandfather would have loved to have had his son become a Mason, and I’m sure he would be proud of you if as a Legacy you joined. But every man must make that decision on his own.

I do believe your Grandfather would have loved to see the watch remain with his Lodge somehow – and perhaps be used like our is. I’m not trying to guilt you into giving it back to your grandfather’s Fraternity, just trying to set some context around a watch like this.

We have had a bit of back and forth with our moderator group on letting this stay in—and we are a bit on the fence about it – but for now I think we can leave it in for this one time, if for no other reason that it shows the obvious pride that someone took a century ago to make something Masonic that was beautiful,useful, and made to last. 

If any our members or moderators disagree with me feel free to PM me or email me.  And perhaps someone on this Forum is from your Grandfather’s old Lodge and will contact you.

Thanks again. Bob

Bob Heruska
Past Master
Columbian Lodge
Boston, MA

Member of the York Rite, Scottish Rite, and the Mystic Shrine.

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.1878 seconds.