Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Sometimes the journey is long and testing…
Posted: 22 December 2017 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2015-06-22

Hello everyone,

First and foremost, Merry Christmas (if you observe it) or otherwise happy holidays.  It has been some time since I last posted and I wanted to give an update so that others who are on a similar path don’t feel so alone in their journey.  If you visit my previous posts you can catch up on my journey, thus far; however, I will briefly recap. 

In July 2015 I petitioned and was accepted to receive the degrees in a lodge close to where I [then] lived.  I was friends with a few members of the lodge and I was informed that the IC spoke highly of me at the stated meeting in which my ballot was cast.  However, two weeks later an objection was filed against me in private with the WM and I was promptly notified that I would have to wait a year to repetition.  That December I moved to a new city in order to both be closer to work and accommodate my growing family.  I was told by the lodge that I previously petitioned that since I moved into a new jurisdiction I would need to accumulate one year of residency prior to petitioning the new lodge.  So once again I waited patiently and continued on with life, learning and growing with the passing time and even enrolling in college (at the ripe age of 30) to further my education in hopes to become an even greater asset to my family and employer.  Once the year had passed, which brings us to December 2016, I submitted my petition to the new lodge with high spirits and great hopes of a new beginning!  However, I was once again told that I must continue to wait.  As it turns out, the masonic law of my new jurisdiction stipulates that if a petitioner was objected against (or otherwise black-balled) in another jurisdiction, a total time of three years must pass before the individual will be eligible to petition.  I was once again heartbroken, though now I was beginning to become familiar and even accustomed to the feeling. 

And here we are, present -time.  I still patiently await the date that I may be eligible to petition my local lodge.  Three years will have passed on July of 2018 (this is assuming they did mean three years from my objection and not three years from my change of residency).  To all the men that are facing similar paths as mine, don’t become disheartened.  For many varying reasons, these things just take time.  For some, it may take much more time than for others.  Just know that anything worth having or experiencing is worth patiently waiting for.  I have grown so much as an individual, as a husband, and as a father over the past few years.  And I feel no remorse, regret, hostility, or hard-feelings because of the events that have taken place along my journey.  I know that there is a being much greater than you and I in control of my path in life.  I also know that the events transpiring around me are all in accordance to a much greater purpose and plan than I can begin to fathom.  And regardless of the events that unfold in my future (and equally regardless if I interpret them to be in or against my favor), I will continue to learn and grow and I will make the very best use of the short amount of time that I am allotted on earth.  The only feelings that I hold towards the fraternity are positive.  They are warm feelings of brotherly love and the excitement that one day, if it is the creators will, I will be accepted as a friend and a brother into the fraternity.

So as we near Christmas (or which ever holiday you may choose to celebrate this time of year) do not let yourself be dismayed by the time that may have passed or the obstacles you may have encountered.  Please don’t waste your precious time and energy worrying, contemplating what could-have been, or harboring negative thoughts or emotion.  Not all of our own intentions are meant to be, and they certainly are not limited to “our” specified time frames.  Instead be thankful for the lessons learned and memories made and simply be hopeful for the future.  I wish everyone the very best in all your future endeavors and I hope that at very least my story can afford you a slight glimmer of encouragement and comfort. 

Warm Regards,

John A Treadway

Signature 

Montani Semper Liberi - Mountaineers Always Free

Character is what you are in the dark. -Dwight L. Moody

Posted: 23 December 2017 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2013-08-19
JohnATreadway - 22 December 2017 03:03 PM

However, two weeks later an objection was filed against me in private with the WM and I was promptly notified that I would have to wait a year to repetition.

That sounds very strange. Why someone want to object two weeks later? Did you ask the WM the reason of that objection?

Signature 

Member of Grand Lodge of New York.
32º AASR Valley of Washington

Posted: 23 December 2017 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2015-06-22

If I had to guess it was because they were not present the night my ballot was cast.  As for why they objected, I’m not sure either (my sponsors and the IC were all surprised).  Regardless, in my jurisdiction it is considered unmasonic conduct to disclose ones vote towards a candidates ballot - or at least it is unmasonic to inquire about ones vote.  For that reason I will never know, nor does it matter as it has already come to pass.

Signature 

Posted: 23 December 2017 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2013-08-19
JohnATreadway - 23 December 2017 08:52 AM

If I had to guess it was because they were not present the night my ballot was cast.

That is the bit that sounds strange to me. I don’t think it is possible to do so in my jurisdiction. If you are not there at the ballot then you can’t say anything.

Signature 

Member of Grand Lodge of New York.
32º AASR Valley of Washington

Posted: 23 December 2017 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2015-06-22

Again, I’m not sure of the particulars.  But as I said, it is in the past now.  Besides, I now live in another jurisdiction and will have another opportunity soon.  I hope that the previous objection does not hold me back from gaining entrance to this lodge, but if it does - all is well.

Signature 

Posted: 24 December 2017 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4089
Joined  2007-09-27

It’s all very strange.  I guess we may never know.  :(

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 24 December 2017 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2015-06-22
Dan-O - 24 December 2017 02:02 PM

At the time I didn’t know enough about the process to know what was normal and abnormal as far as the ballot process is concerned.  My sponsor did explain that it could have just been someone with a grudge, but I don’t know of anyone that would feel soo negatively towards me.  This is just an example of a situation that wasn’t meant to be I guess.  I’ll either get em next time or I’ll give another go further down the road.

Signature 

Posted: 24 December 2017 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2379
Joined  2011-01-20
JohnATreadway - 24 December 2017 05:09 PM
Dan-O - 24 December 2017 02:02 PM

At the time I didn’t know enough about the process to know what was normal and abnormal as far as the ballot process is concerned.  My sponsor did explain that it could have just been someone with a grudge, but I don’t know of anyone that would feel soo negatively towards me.  This is just an example of a situation that wasn’t meant to be I guess.  I’ll either get em next time or I’ll give another go further down the road.

The grudge was probably not about you. It could have been the master, your sponsor, or anyone else this person had a gripe with. I know it’s silly and you paid the price but some of us didn’t learn the lessons of the degrees and hide behind the honorable traditions of our order. I have no clue why they bother.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 25 December 2017 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  264
Joined  2014-06-15

...Regardless, in my jurisdiction it is considered unmasonic conduct to disclose ones vote towards a candidates ballot - or at least it is unmasonic to inquire about ones vote…

Except in this case your were not blackballed. Your vote apparently passed. It’s just that someone objected to you prior to your initiation. That is different, at least in my jurisdiction, and it is not a “vote” per se. You should be able to talk to the WM in private and find out what was objected to about you. He shouldn’t tell you who objected but what the objection was.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Sr. Warden - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 26 December 2017 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2015-06-22
Bro DHoward - 25 December 2017 02:30 PM

...Regardless, in my jurisdiction it is considered unmasonic conduct to disclose ones vote towards a candidates ballot - or at least it is unmasonic to inquire about ones vote…

Except in this case your were not blackballed. Your vote apparently passed. It’s just that someone objected to you prior to your initiation. That is different, at least in my jurisdiction, and it is not a “vote” per se. You should be able to talk to the WM in private and find out what was objected to about you. He shouldn’t tell you who objected but what the objection was.

When I had inquired with the secretary, he had stated that whoever disputed my “clear” ballot would not have to provide motive - as if it were a blackball.  I inquired with other masons I know (from different jurisdictions) and tried to make since of it all, but to no avail.  I appreciate everyone’s support and concern, but it’s all water under the bridge now.  I live in a different jurisdiction now and will be able to submit a petition with the new local lodge this summer.  The support of everyone here assures me that I am making the right decision by petitioning again.  I really appreciate everyone here and wish you the very best in life.

Signature 

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3042 seconds.