Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

1 of 2
Responding to a toast and given addresses.
Posted: 20 December 2017 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2011-04-28

Brethren, i am an English Mason and a district officer. Mostly when I’m on a delegation to other lodges, it’s a requisite to speak to the WM or give an address to the wardens or even given a toast or responding to one. My challenge is that I finds it difficult with my MASONIC addresses. It has been an hindrance to my MASONIC career and it’s not making me visit other lodges because of the speeches. Though I’m a chartered accountant and working with Pwc or Price Waterhousecoopers as a senior Auditor but I realized that when it comes to MASONIC things it’s different . Is there any help on this or any recommendations or a book i will be recommended to read on MASONIC speeches so I will be abreast with the MASONIC terminology in expressing myself well. Thank you

Posted: 21 December 2017 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1300
Joined  2011-11-10

Hi ph - can you just clarify which bit you find the most difficult? - Where to stop with the “WM, DistGM, etc” or just speaking in general? (I’m a PProvJGW in UGLE and had to respond to the visitors toast on a number of occasions).  What rank do you hold? (it might help in knowing on this occasion).

Signature 

Richard
Past Assistant Grand Director of Ceremonies (UGLE)
PProvJGW, PProvGReg, PProvAGSec (Craft)
PProvGTreas, PProvGReg, PProv1stAGSoj (Royal Arch)
Mark (PProvGIWks), Royal Ark Mariner (ProvRAMGR)
Ancient and Accepted Rite; (30°), Knights Templar (PStdB)
Knight Templar Priest (PGBB), Royal Order of Scotland
Order of Secret Monitor (Brotherhood of David and Jonathan - unattached)

Posted: 21 December 2017 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2016-10-06

I am sorry it’s becoming such a mountain for you. Do you feel judged or something?

When the visiting officer responds to a toast, we don’t expect a speech out of the ordinary.

Is it finding the right words or do you feel awkward when you talk at the festive board?

Posted: 24 December 2017 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-04-28

@George, I’m a IPM in my lodge and DGTr. There’re times you need to visit private lodges on delegation and either say something about your visit as a delegate. I think I’m always afraid to be call upon to say something. Is like I’m always being careful not saying something that I will be laughed about. I’ve realize that masonry speeches isn’t like any other speeches you can easily joke with. I just need help on how I’ll always be ready whenever I’m called upon on such situation.

Posted: 24 December 2017 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-04-28

@Mystic-tie, thank you for feeling sorry for me though I feel being judged at times as you said because the position you are in has been filled before and you are being marked by senior brethren whether you can play that role very very well. That’s how you will earn your respect and hold you in high esteem as a senior mason because the younger ones are watching and learning. I wish I can get a coach on how to give speeches or how to speech in public without feeling tensed especially when it comes to MASONIC activities.

Posted: 24 December 2017 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  581
Joined  2012-09-18

There are online resources for that, but there is no subsitute for experience with lots of practice.
Choose a responce for toasts and practice it the same as you would for a Degree part.

Signature 

Past Master, Dryden Lodge #472
Secretary, Caroline Lodge #618
Hudson,Fulton,Dryden Chapter #250 OES
32* A&ASR; Coudersport Pa.
RAM Fidelity #77

Posted: 25 December 2017 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-04-28

Thank you my brother.

Posted: 27 December 2017 02:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

Just because it’s been filled before shouldn’t make you feel judged, rather consider it an honour as you will have been given the position because you deserve it for what you’ve done during the past year. Any toast response is not expected to be long, and some find it easy and others don’t - I didn’t to begin with, but it gets easier. Don’t worry about laughter, they won’t be laughing at you, rather WITH you and that’s a good thing. The only rule to any jokes is this; any joke you tell should be one you’d be comfortable telling your grandmother, so no off colour ones - keep them clean.

Remember everyone else (or most of them) you are out with will be in the same boat - most of them will be holding office for the first time as well and will be feeling the same uncertainty as you. So just enjoy your year as you deserve it.

Signature 

Richard

Posted: 27 December 2017 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-04-28

Thank you once again for the advice. It is well taken and will be well applied.

Wbro. P. A. Nyarko
IPM of Tema Lodge # 7718 EC, Ghana
Dist. Grand Treasurer, DGL Ghana (Craft and Chapter)
Concordia Chapter
Ghana Mark Master Mason
http://www.districtgrandlodgeghana.org

Posted: 28 December 2017 02:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

And you’ll notice I hold the same rank as you in Chapter😊 (in one of the Provinces)

Signature 

Richard

Posted: 29 December 2017 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-04-28

You are right senior 😊
Please senior, what’s the Order of Secret Monitor all about. We don’t practice it here in Ghana. I wish to join such Order though I have heard a little bit of it. Thank you

Posted: 29 December 2017 01:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

It’s based round the story of the friendship between David and Jonathan.  It’s the only order i know of where (unintentionally)  your life can be in genuine danger!  Not one of my favourite orders I’m afraid. Whilst I’m still technically a member, I’m unattached.

Just referring back to your original posts, I see you’re the Treasurer in both craft and chapter.. Is it a ‘working’ position? And have you been given the position because you are an accountant or something? If so, you may find that you’ll get reappointed. Districts and Provinces are often on the lookout for suitably qualified brothers to fill some of the more ‘permanent’ positions like Secretary, DC, Treasurer, Janitor and so on so there’s some continuity from year to year. Such people get those positions not just because of their work in the lodge, but because their expertise can help the Province or District. I can speak with some experience on this as I’ve held two active roles in craft (Registrar and AssSec) and three in Chapter (AssSoj, Reg andTreas). 6 years as ASec and I’m now the editor for the Province’s yearbook.  If that’s the case, you should worry even less as you’re not being judged, trust me on this! That’s already happened and you’ve not been found wanting! 😁

I’ve no idea if you’re planning on getting over for QC in March, but if you do, you’ll notice my signature will be changing as I’ve been given PAGDC as part of the Tricentenary appointments.

Signature 

Richard

Posted: 29 December 2017 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-04-28

You are right senior. My appointment was based on the fact that I’m in the accounting field and I was helping the district financials since I became a mason. So since my predecessor was given a promotion as assistant district grand master, he recommended me to the District to hold that appointment. Also looking at things I will be reappointed on our next annual communication. I loved the profession and playing my role well looking at the policies drafted for the district to follow in terms of their finances. I’m happy with the appointment as a young mason. Though at times there’s fear I encounter when advising the senior masons on how they can’t spent the District money on a project I think it isn’t necessary or not needed due to the fact that private lodges aren’t paying their annual subscriptions in time. It makes it looks like you are being too difficult not understanding the system and you are being hated for. In so doing, any little thing you do would attract hatred and it looks like other senior brethren wouldn’t like to take an advice from this young mason who doesn’t even deserve the position. Masonry have its own challenges when it comes to promotions but there’re certain positions that comes with the profession. Any advice on this is welcome senior.

Posted: 29 December 2017 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

Hi Philip.

My first recommendation would be to speak candidly to the DistAGM about your concerns - he was the one who recommended you for the job.  I think you’ll find that your concerns are unfounded.  What you have to remember is that the appointment is the sole prerogative of the DistGM (after taking advice from his Deputy and Assistants); no-one else, so the other senior members of the District actually have no say in the matter - the DistGM has put you in the position of looking after the District’s money; that’s what he has asked you to do, so that’s what you do. 

Now, strictly speaking, your job is to monitor and control those finances and to make recommendations to the DistGM and District Grand Lodge as to what you believe the District can afford to do and what it can’t - and to recommend the level of annual subscriptions that would be needed to meet existing commitments and any plans the District has.  But you also need to remember that you can only recommend; at the end of the day, it’s down to the DistGM and/or how the voting goes in District Grand Lodge whether or not your recommendations are accepted.  If they are not, then you still have the option to resign the position as untenable (remember that Masonry is, at the end of the day, a hobby) - but I doubt that it would come to that .. my experience during my time as ProvAGSec has shown that the Treasurer’s recommendations are listened to, even if we as individuals may not necessarily agree or moan about any increase - but remembering that the ‘extras’ ultimately come out of our individual pockets, so the moaning tends to be about increase in District subs - only to be expected!

The situation regarding late payment of lodge dues however, is something else entirely.  That’s something that you need to bring to the attention of the DistGM, Deputy, Assistants - and the DistGSec, as the latter really aught to write to the individual lodges reminding them that subs are due.  If I take UGLE itself as an example (certainly over here!), lodges get 3 warnings for non/late payment and then get summoned to London (along with the ProvGM and ProvGSec) to explain why they haven’t paid - and the 3rd warning leaves them in dire proximity of having the lodge erased!  Given the geographical extent of the Districts, I think I’d be suggesting to the other members of the District Executive that something similar is put in place for District subs (remembering though, that the District doesn’t AFAIK have the power to erase!).  Being summoned to appear before the District for non-payment strikes me as something the lodges would be keen to avoid as the District would, I suspect, have the power to recommend erasure.

BTW - my name’s ‘Richard’ - ‘senior’ is just something the forum ‘assigns’ based on the number of posts you’ve made!

Signature 

Richard

Posted: 29 December 2017 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-04-28

Thank you so much Richard for the advice. I really appreciate it and your advice is well taken.

Posted: 29 December 2017 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

I forgot; technically the Treasurer is elected by the members of the District, but as normally there is only one nomination (and that’s made by the DistGM), it can really be regarded as an appointment by him.

Signature 

Richard

1 of 2

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3513 seconds.