Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

I was a highly involved Mason but a number of bad things happened to me and I left, just want to talk about it.
Posted: 04 December 2017 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2017-11-12

Hi All

I was very involved in masonry, received my MM degree and did hold an officer role. Along with this I visited lodges all around the globe and set on a committee that organised charity events in my country.

I was young and worked for a fellow mason, I was promised a salary etc and even though the brothers company went public he never paid me a cent for 10 months work (Technically owes me a minimum of €83,333 [€100,000 salary agreed for 12 months and 10 months accounted for] and this is the minimum based on agreed terms, there should be an additional €25,000 if I talk about the other promises). This along with a number of other things such as conversations with masons who claimed to do not so ethical things and in certain countries I visited the experience of illegal things (I was gifted a prostitute for my second degree which I obtained abroad, I did not take the “gift” but I do know very senior brothers who did, I do know the laws in said country on prostitution are sketchy) led me to leave.

After all this and subsequently not being able to find a job (I worked for the brother in question during and just after college, meaning I never took internships so my ability to get into a conventional career path after college was greatly hindered) I lost my apartment, even spent a few nights on the street and eventually had a complete mental breakdown. I had great opportunities and although it all set me back a few years I am not exactly back on my feet yet but I am back in college doing an MBA in a good school.

I honestly believe in Masonic values and one of the reasons I left is I felt that to be a mason was not being part of the masonry I saw, I know it sounds strange but I left as I thought that the most masonic thing I could do was leave after everything I experienced. I do want to also note that I had many friends in Masonry and I honestly believed they were my friends not because I was a mason but because we liked each-other, since I left I never hear from any of them and those I do contact might reply out of courtesy but its just one email with no further replies.

I’m not naming names of people or lodges/countries on purpose but I can.

I honestly miss being a mason and being in lodge (as I said, I was very active) but I know, considering I don’t even get replies from brothers, that I’m not welcome anymore. When I left I was told I could come back and never told anything to the contrary for the record but I just don’t feel like I could, god do I want to but there is so much wrong with it and I feel so unwelcome. It’s not masonry that has a problem it’s the people in it.

Truthfully I’m still a bit messed up after my mental breakdown, I’m doing great and excelling in some areas but I have no trust in anyone and drive people away. I have no friends anymore because I won’t let anyone in and I have been in solitude, just working and studying for nearly 2 years now. The honest truth is I’m at a stage where I don’t want people in my life anymore and have accepted I will be alone for the rest of my life, the sad part is this actually makes me happy now and I’m only 28. I had a business coaching session and my coach asked me what I had learned in the last few years, my answer was trust no one, there are no good people in this world. I actually believe that but I wasn’t always like this.

I was very involved in a number of groups and I have probably talked to some of you before on LinkedIn and Facebook back when I was a mason…

Guys, it’s been hell. I don’t even know what I want to achieve by writing this, maybe its because I believe that this fraternity attracts some good people, maybe I just want that taste of masonry back in my life, I don’t know.

Anyway, there are my 2 cents, on the level and honest.

Posted: 05 December 2017 12:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2017-09-01

Hey man cheer up. No one is perfect we are all human you can’t prejudice an entire group for a bad experience. Please get well I’ve been through a similar experience but nothing to do with freemasonry or masons at all. People will be people and you can’t give up on them. There are many a great good people in the world and many a great bad. If you don’t like how it is try to make the world a better place but not always on a grandiose level. For the people around you in your life to begin with.

Feel better I hope this helps.

Signature 

I’m not a mason, don’t ask me about freemasonry or take my posts as masonic knowing or perspective.

Posted: 05 December 2017 02:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2017-11-13

Be positive about everything and all shall be well

Posted: 05 December 2017 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  72
Joined  2013-08-19
BeBoyle - 04 December 2017 07:42 PM

I was gifted a prostitute for my second degree which I obtained abroad, I did not take the “gift” but I do know very senior brothers who did, I do know the laws in said country on prostitution are sketchy) led me to leave.

This, along with all the rest you said, sounds very weird to me and it’s hard to believe it. What was your Grand Lodge?

Signature 

Member of Grand Lodge of New York.
32º AASR Valley of Washington

Posted: 05 December 2017 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2351
Joined  2011-01-20

I, too, smell something fishy here. No real Mason would consider prostitution acceptable in my opinion and no real brother would defraud a brother especially so great an amount. I suspect you may have become inadvertently involved with a clandestine group. While you do not wish to name the people involved, at least tell us where in Europe you had these issues and which Grand Lodge you were under.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 05 December 2017 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  72
Joined  2013-08-19

Hi All

...a prostitute for my second degree which I obtained abroad…

You don’t obtain your second degree abroad. I am sure you were involved in a clandestine group. Irregular and bogus to say the least.

Signature 

Member of Grand Lodge of New York.
32º AASR Valley of Washington

Posted: 06 December 2017 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2017-09-01
nymaso3 - 05 December 2017 04:06 PM

Hi All

...a prostitute for my second degree which I obtained abroad…

You don’t obtain your second degree abroad. I am sure you were involved in a clandestine group. Irregular and bogus to say the least.

This. I also found it hard to believe I was so confused not sure if he’s trolling but I was trying to show support.

Every mason I met which aren’t many were all pleasant to talk to.

Signature 

I’m not a mason, don’t ask me about freemasonry or take my posts as masonic knowing or perspective.

Posted: 13 December 2017 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  256
Joined  2014-06-15

...The honest truth is I’m at a stage where I don’t want people in my life anymore and have accepted I will be alone for the rest of my life, the sad part is this actually makes me happy now and I’m only 28…

You kind of contradict yourself. In one sentence you say you miss freemasonry, and in another (See above quote) you state you don’t want people in your life and are actually happy alone. There is nothing “alone” in freemasonry. It is a group of men who are active and responsive in each other’s lives.

I am saddened that a “brother” may have treated you in a very unmasonic way and frankly, in my opinion, he should have been held liable by his masonic brothers if these allegations were true. But you were alos acting very immature in the fact that you let one individual ruin your masonic life experience. If you were as highly involved (your words) in your lodge as you stated then you would have been around many more masons than just this individual and should have seen true masonic brotherhood demonstrated through the other brothers. But apparently this was not the case.

My advice to you is this: First, get you life and mental state in order first. Once that has happened and you are ready then you can slowly reach out to your lodge and see about becoming active again.

Good luck.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Warden - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

‹‹ Satanism in Freemasonry      appreciation ››

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 1.4715 seconds.