1 of 2
Satanism in Freemasonry
Posted: 04 December 2017 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2015-09-25

Good afternoon Brethren,

I would be interested to hear peoples opinions on whether followers of satanism would qualify as Freemasons? Just out of curiosity.

From my teachings so far, I have been told anyone with a belief in a higher power (a supreme being) would be able to become a Freemason as there are masons from various religions.

Does anyone know of any freemason’s whom also are satanists and whats people’s opinions on such matter?

Yours sincerely and fraternally,
Michael

Posted: 04 December 2017 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2014-04-04

In my jurisdiction, the requirement is a belief in a Supreme Being, just like Scouting. We do not judge the quality of that belief, nor do we dictate how an individual may observe it.
That said, I have never heard of a Satanist who actually was a Mason, and cannot imagine any beine interested.

Signature 

:coolsmile:

Posted: 04 December 2017 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1261
Joined  2011-11-10

Er-no .. at least not in my opinion.
I can’t imagine a satanist would be comfortable with prayers that are directed at God (regardless of what individual religions call Him).

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 04 December 2017 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  72
Joined  2013-08-19

I personally think that Satanists should not be accepted.
I know a couple of Masons that are Satanists and in my opinion they should be kicked out big time. Although I highly doubt that they said they were Satanists when they first got in.

Signature 

Member of Grand Lodge of New York.
32º AASR Valley of Washington

Posted: 04 December 2017 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2014-04-04

“I personally think that Satanists should not be accepted. “
Does your jurisdiction have admission requirements?
Does your jurisdiction allow you to inquire as to the specifics of an applicants beliefs?

“I know a couple of Masons that are Satanists and in my opinion they should be kicked out big time.”
What grounds would you have for Expulsion? That you don’t like their religious beliefs?

Signature 

Posted: 04 December 2017 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-08-19
BrotherGene - 04 December 2017 11:47 AM

“I personally think that Satanists should not be accepted. “
Does your jurisdiction have admission requirements?
Does your jurisdiction allow you to inquire as to the specifics of an applicants beliefs?

“I know a couple of Masons that are Satanists and in my opinion they should be kicked out big time.”
What grounds would you have for Expulsion? That you don’t like their religious beliefs?

My jurisdiction have admission requirements.
Yes, we do inquire about specifics of an applicant belief because we need to know which Volume of the Sacred Law they wish to use. Which VSL Satanist are going to use? The Bible?

Among hundreds of things I could say, Satanists are very much against Brotherly Love, Relief and Truth.

We don’t even need to talk about Light…I just tell you that once one of those guys asked me if I was interested in the darkness and then asked me if I wanted to join the Temple of Satan.

Beside that, their tenets are included in my definition of “disgraceful conduct”, therefore against our Book of Constitutions.

Signature 

Posted: 04 December 2017 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2351
Joined  2011-01-20

The requirement of belief in a Supreme Being is only one of our basic requirements. A Satanist would be rejected, at least by me, based upon our requirement of the petitioner being “of good report” meaning having a good reputation.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 04 December 2017 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2014-04-04

So you would judge someone’s character based solely on their beliefs?

Signature 

Posted: 04 December 2017 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-08-19
BrotherGene - 04 December 2017 02:49 PM

So you would judge someone’s character based solely on their beliefs?

In this case, yes.

Identity, Belief and Character, in a sane person, are intertwined and are reflected in real life.

If your belief is Satanism, and your belief implies the tenet “If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat them cruelly and without mercy.”, you are supposed to live by it.
Their tenets are at least ‘unacceptable’ in a civilised society.

I believe you don’t know much about Satanism.

Have a look at the Order of Nine Angles. Would you accept one of their member in your Lodge? Or would you judge him solely on their creed?

Signature 

Posted: 04 December 2017 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2014-04-04

“I believe you don’t know much about Satanism.”
Interesting. I believe in music. So we have that.

“Or would you judge him solely on their creed?”
Actually, when it comes to membership in my lodge, I prefer to follow the rules in my jurisdiction.  Looking at some of the atrocities committed by christians, for example, it is obvious to me that a person’s beliefs are not a good basis for determining their character. I prefer to NOT Judge others, but instead form an assessment of their character based on their *actions*.
But that’s me. Obviously, some individuals do differently.

Signature 

Posted: 04 December 2017 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-08-19
BrotherGene - 04 December 2017 03:15 PM

“I believe you don’t know much about Satanism.”
Interesting. I believe in music. So we have that.

“Or would you judge him solely on their creed?”
Actually, when it comes to membership in my lodge, I prefer to follow the rules in my jurisdiction.  Looking at some of the atrocities committed by christians, for example, it is obvious to me that a person’s beliefs are not a good basis for determining their character. I prefer to NOT Judge others, but instead form an assessment of their character based on their *actions*.
But that’s me. Obviously, some individuals do differently.

Indeed. Maybe my idea of Satanism is wrong. I thought they were quite active and apply their tenets to real life but it could be that the average Satanist spends his time at home reading A Christmas Carol.

Just out of curiosity, which is your jurisdiction?

Signature 

Posted: 04 December 2017 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2014-04-04

Exactly my point. There are christians that live and breath Jesus’ teachings, and there are christians who murder, rape, and so on.  I would imagine the same is true for any belief system. The phrase “by their acts shall they be judged” comes to mind.
I am a member of the Grand Lodge of California.

Signature 

Posted: 04 December 2017 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-08-19
BrotherGene - 04 December 2017 03:35 PM

Exactly my point. There are christians that live and breath Jesus’ teachings, and there are christians who murder, rape, and so on.  I would imagine the same is true for any belief system. The phrase “by their acts shall they be judged” comes to mind.
I am a member of the Grand Lodge of California.

I was being sarcastic, brother :)
It is not exactly the same. The actions are not in discussion, since the ones you mentioned are under ‘criminal conduct’ therefore nobody with that background will be accepted in my jurisdiction.

Anyway, let’s agree to disagree. I don’t believe a Satanist would make a good Mason, that’s pretty much it.

What your jurisdiction says about it? Satanists are accepted? What VSL they use?

Signature 

Posted: 04 December 2017 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2014-04-04

“I don’t believe a Satanist would make a good Mason,”
Oh, ok. I don’t believe in Judging others according to what I *think* they believe. But that’s me.

“What your jurisdiction says about it?”
My jurisdiction has a requirement that an applicant expresses a belief in a Supreme Being. No requirement that anyone approve of the details of that belief, nor that we interrogate them beyond ascertaining that they meet the requirement.

Signature 

Posted: 04 December 2017 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-08-19
BrotherGene - 04 December 2017 04:45 PM

“I don’t believe a Satanist would make a good Mason,”
Oh, ok. I don’t believe in Judging others according to what I *think* they believe. But that’s me.

Yes, I got it. You judge others on what they do. Actually it’s on what *you think* they do, since you are not there while they are doing it…

Clearly you do not know what Satanism is.

All Masons are required to have a belief in a Supreme Being, i.e. God. Sorry, but believing in a leaf (like certain Wiccas…) certainly does not qualify, and Satan neither can be considered Supreme Being. This is because the historical Satan is a Christian concept. It was created by God and it is therefore subordinate to God and de facto, it is not a Supreme Being.  There can only be one Supreme Being if one deigns to believe in such; only one ominscient, ominpotent and omnipresent creator of the Universe. To imply that Satan is somehow on par with God is to argue that God is neither all-powerful nor supreme.  This would imply a situation where God is neither omnipotent nor unique and not worthy of the respect and adoration due to God by every Mason. It therefore becomes quite obvious why any Mason obligated to believe in God would not and could not call God by the name Satan. Hence why a Satanist could not join a Lodge.

Now, this is my thought and if I ever get across a Satanist (which I highly doubt it anyway) asking to be initiated in any Lodge I’m in, he will get a blackball, that’s it. Yes, I do judge Satanists ‘a priori’, that’s me.

Signature 

Posted: 04 December 2017 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2014-04-04

“Clearly you do not know what Satanism is.”
And how did you come to this misunderstanding whereby you think you are privy to what I know and what I do not know?

Signature 

1 of 2

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.8113 seconds.