Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Difference between York Rite and Scottish Rite & Sub sociological comments/questions
Posted: 02 December 2017 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2017-09-01

Well I’ve read a bit about the difference between the two. You know sites that I think are official mason sites or from masons.

I got questions on it.

I rarely research freemasonry probably once a week or every other week out of my daily hobbies and all that but this sparked an interest.

This is one of the only reliable sources of info on freemasonry I’ve found so I thought I might ask masons themselves.

Scottish rite:

This is the path I’m a bit sketchy about. I heard people are elected in officer/leadership positions for life (unsure if it’s true) as well there are 33 degree’s with ambitious sounding titles. The 33rd degree is talked about the most in elitist and tinfoil hat conspiracy theories.

I feel like more ambitous people would pursue this path? I’m unaware and I haven’t been indept at looking at the pro’s and cons of cycled electoral leadership and permanent leadership. Don’t think it would be productive either because these policies wherever placed in society have little chance of converting to the other.

However I find it really cool that I read that a lot of the degree rituals are theatrical plays. I didn’t see one of these plays but I randomly came across a play on a public masonic website and it looked really really good. Was on the origins of religion and talked a bit about the Temple Of Solomen.

York Rite:

This is the path I’m in more favor about but I’m not sure if there are really cool plays that are watched in rituals or in general.

Heard this was more of a military discipline styled path with similar awards while the scottish rite is more of a scholar like path?

However I see branches like the Knights Templar and aside from the word Cryptic may appeal to more noble masons? Though all masons I’ve met at the one time lodge visit I made and online through here are all filled with virtue.

Heard the rituals in this path resembled blue lodge more? I’m unsure of how the rituals work but I’d make an educated assumption that rituals at blue lodge are “hands on”?

Also heard of controversy on the whole uniform thing with the templars in this path it’s kind of funny. But I really could care less of the uniform.

Um is the York Rite path harder to get involved with then scottish rite?

Main questions:
Difficulty comparison of paths.
General opinion on electoral cycles vs permanant positions.
Comparison of the people’s character of both paths.

Lots of commentary on the two wanted as well.

It’d be really cool to get comments from 30-33rd degree scottish rite masons and Knights Templar masons of york rite.

Thanks again for answering questions and the masons and non masons who talked to me through PM.

Signature 

I’m not a mason, don’t ask me about freemasonry or take my posts as masonic knowing or perspective.

Posted: 02 December 2017 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1463
Joined  2010-11-01

As a member of both Rites, I can say that both are similar, yet different.  The Scottish Rite degrees are observed as mini plays that is true.  There are 29 additional degrees in the Scottish Rite and, at least in the Northern Jurisdiction, a Mason that joins the Scottish Rite does not necessarily see all 29, but there are those that do.  Every member in the Northern The 33rd is an honorary degree that is granted for exemplary service to the community and Freemasonry as a whole.  It is one where if you ask for or even mention wanting to receive, you won’t get it.  As for Officer positions, men are elected for definite terms, not life.  The 33rd’s are divided into Active and Honorary.  Active simply means that they have an active part of the governing body of the Scottish Rite.  At least this is how it works in the Northern Jurisdiction, Southern may or may not be different. 

York Rite Degrees are given in a similar manner to the Craft Lodge Degrees, at least in my experience in my jurisdiction.  These too are mini plays, but the candidates take a somewhat active role in them. 

Both Rites complete the story which is begun in the craft lodges.  The basis of which is is the story of the building of King Solomon’s Temple.  There is more to it obviously and there are many schools of thought on it.  I am in the crowd that feels there is a definite esoteric/philosophical aspect to all of Freemasonry and the rituals.  There are others who do not.  For both Rites, you apply and take the degrees.  Simple as that.  What you get out of it depends on your particular interest.  I did Scottish Rite first, but if I were to do it over, I would do York first as I feel York completes it in a more logical way.  Just my personal opinion and others feel the opposite. Neither is more right or wrong than the other.

I hope this gives you some of the information you are looking for.

Signature 

W:.Paul Hulseapple
W:. Master St. Georges Lodge #6
Schenectady, NY
Feliciana Lodge #31
St. Francisville, LA

32°AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
E:. High Priest

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S.

Posted: 02 December 2017 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2017-09-01
PDH825 - 02 December 2017 09:52 AM

As a member of both Rites, I can say that both are similar, yet different.  The Scottish Rite degrees are observed as mini plays that is true.  There are 29 additional degrees in the Scottish Rite and, at least in the Northern Jurisdiction, a Mason that joins the Scottish Rite does not necessarily see all 29, but there are those that do.  Every member in the Northern The 33rd is an honorary degree that is granted for exemplary service to the community and Freemasonry as a whole.  It is one where if you ask for or even mention wanting to receive, you won’t get it.  As for Officer positions, men are elected for definite terms, not life.  The 33rd’s are divided into Active and Honorary.  Active simply means that they have an active part of the governing body of the Scottish Rite.  At least this is how it works in the Northern Jurisdiction, Southern may or may not be different. 

York Rite Degrees are given in a similar manner to the Craft Lodge Degrees, at least in my experience in my jurisdiction.  These too are mini plays, but the candidates take a somewhat active role in them. 

Both Rites complete the story which is begun in the craft lodges.  The basis of which is is the story of the building of King Solomon’s Temple.  There is more to it obviously and there are many schools of thought on it.  I am in the crowd that feels there is a definite esoteric/philosophical aspect to all of Freemasonry and the rituals.  There are others who do not.  For both Rites, you apply and take the degrees.  Simple as that.  What you get out of it depends on your particular interest.  I did Scottish Rite first, but if I were to do it over, I would do York first as I feel York completes it in a more logical way.  Just my personal opinion and others feel the opposite. Neither is more right or wrong than the other.

I hope this gives you some of the information you are looking for.

Thank you but maybe some introspect on the community of york rite contrasted to the community of scottish rite. Dedicated members of either side at least disregarding masons who are in both paths.

This may be a touchy subject and you don’t have to answer it as well. Once again I do state that I have not interacted with one mason who expresses bad character or virtue. A matter a fact I find that a way to distinguish real masons from non masons is the way they act. When I watch youtube videos on masonry which I rarely do. Whether it’s a funny bad conspiracy I watch for entertainment and humour or a video made by a real mason. I can almost distinguish the fake mason comments by the way they act and compare them to how the real masons act online here.

Though I don’t call them out for my thoughts on them being what you guys refer to as “Cowans” directly at least maybe indirectly intentionally but in a polite way.

Yea I’d like to know what you think of the people on both sides how they differ mainly. The good traits of course which there are many. Disregarding the cons, but if you feel like cons have to be mentioned maybe pm them to me or put them in this thread? Either way express the cons in a very careful way but you all are good at that. As well I’m sure everyone knows mason or not that humans do have faults, and we are only mortal.

Signature 

I’m not a mason, don’t ask me about freemasonry or take my posts as masonic knowing or perspective.

Posted: 02 December 2017 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1463
Joined  2010-11-01
Athena - 02 December 2017 10:52 AM

Thank you but maybe some introspect on the community of york rite contrasted to the community of scottish rite. Dedicated members of either side at least disregarding masons who are in both paths.

This may be a touchy subject and you don’t have to answer it as well. Once again I do state that I have not interacted with one mason who expresses bad character or virtue. A matter a fact I find that a way to distinguish real masons from non masons is the way they act. When I watch youtube videos on masonry which I rarely do. Whether it’s a funny bad conspiracy I watch for entertainment and humour or a video made by a real mason. I can almost distinguish the fake mason comments by the way they act and compare them to how the real masons act online here.

Though I don’t call them out for my thoughts on them being what you guys refer to as “Cowans” directly at least maybe indirectly intentionally but in a polite way.

Yea I’d like to know what you think of the people on both sides how they differ mainly. The good traits of course which there are many. Disregarding the cons, but if you feel like cons have to be mentioned maybe pm them to me or put them in this thread? Either way express the cons in a very careful way but you all are good at that. As well I’m sure everyone knows mason or not that humans do have faults, and we are only mortal.

Generally, Both groups tend to be made up of the same guys.  The community, therefore really remains constant.  The lessons taught in both are basically the same, however the difference is in how they are communicated.  What you need to remember is that the basis of all of the concordant bodies is the craft lodge so your question is irrelevant.

Signature 

W:.Paul Hulseapple
W:. Master St. Georges Lodge #6
Schenectady, NY
Feliciana Lodge #31
St. Francisville, LA

32°AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
E:. High Priest

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S.

Posted: 03 December 2017 04:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  72
Joined  2013-08-19
Athena - 02 December 2017 09:24 AM

Well I’ve read a bit about the difference between the two. You know sites that I think are official mason sites or from masons.

I got questions on it.

I rarely research freemasonry probably once a week or every other week out of my daily hobbies and all that but this sparked an interest.

This is one of the only reliable sources of info on freemasonry I’ve found so I thought I might ask masons themselves.

Scottish rite:

This is the path I’m a bit sketchy about. I heard people are elected in officer/leadership positions for life (unsure if it’s true) as well there are 33 degree’s with ambitious sounding titles. The 33rd degree is talked about the most in elitist and tinfoil hat conspiracy theories.

I feel like more ambitous people would pursue this path? I’m unaware and I haven’t been indept at looking at the pro’s and cons of cycled electoral leadership and permanent leadership. Don’t think it would be productive either because these policies wherever placed in society have little chance of converting to the other.

However I find it really cool that I read that a lot of the degree rituals are theatrical plays. I didn’t see one of these plays but I randomly came across a play on a public masonic website and it looked really really good. Was on the origins of religion and talked a bit about the Temple Of Solomen.

York Rite:

This is the path I’m in more favor about but I’m not sure if there are really cool plays that are watched in rituals or in general.

Heard this was more of a military discipline styled path with similar awards while the scottish rite is more of a scholar like path?

However I see branches like the Knights Templar and aside from the word Cryptic may appeal to more noble masons? Though all masons I’ve met at the one time lodge visit I made and online through here are all filled with virtue.

Heard the rituals in this path resembled blue lodge more? I’m unsure of how the rituals work but I’d make an educated assumption that rituals at blue lodge are “hands on”?

Also heard of controversy on the whole uniform thing with the templars in this path it’s kind of funny. But I really could care less of the uniform.

Main questions:

It’d be really cool to get comments from 30-33rd degree scottish rite masons and Knights Templar masons of york rite.

Thanks again for answering questions and the masons and non masons who talked to me through PM.

I think you are very confused about Freemasonry, Scottish Rite, and the York Rite. What you are writing here is a nonsense to me. What you find on the internet and the conclusions you made are very different from the reality. If you want to have a simple and clear understanding, just read “Freemasons for Dummies”. The author explains pretty much everything you need to know about Freemasonry as a non-freemason.

Signature 

Member of Grand Lodge of New York.
32º AASR Valley of Washington

Posted: 03 December 2017 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2017-09-01
PDH825 - 02 December 2017 12:30 PM
Athena - 02 December 2017 10:52 AM

Generally, Both groups tend to be made up of the same guys.  The community, therefore really remains constant.  The lessons taught in both are basically the same, however the difference is in how they are communicated.  What you need to remember is that the basis of all of the concordant bodies is the craft lodge so your question is irrelevant.

Thanks.

Signature 

Posted: 03 December 2017 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2017-09-01
nymaso3 - 03 December 2017 04:45 AM

I got questions on it.

Scottish rite:

York Rite:

Main questions:

I think you are very confused about Freemasonry, Scottish Rite, and the York Rite. What you are writing here is a nonsense to me. What you find on the internet and the conclusions you made are very different from the reality. If you want to have a simple and clear understanding, just read “Freemasons for Dummies”. The author explains pretty much everything you need to know about Freemasonry as a non-freemason.

Well I would but not to be rude freemasonry is not my primary focus right now. Going to work on myself, my god, get back to working. Then maybe years from now it will be. For sure thank you though I’m interested in the craft and it will always be an interest to me but not my focus at this point of time.

This is the source of info I got on both paths.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-York-Rite-and-Scottish-Rite-in-Freemasonry-and-why-do-we-have-both

Then both wiki articles on them.

Oh and the perspective of what masons would appeal was my own not the internet. Like how more ambitious masons would be attracted to Scottish rite cause the titles. I was wrong though sorry. Basically all masons must meet the requirements to be masons and there character is all around the same no matter what path?

Thanks for clarifying.

Signature 

Posted: 03 December 2017 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  575
Joined  2012-09-18

I also caution you to be a bit wary of what you find on WIKI, it contains much erronious information on all subjects since anyone can add/edit content.

Signature 

Past Master, Dryden Lodge #472
Secretary, Caroline Lodge #618
Hudson,Fulton,Dryden Chapter #250 OES
32* A&ASR; Coudersport Pa.
RAM Fidelity #77

Posted: 03 December 2017 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2017-09-01
W Br Gleason - 03 December 2017 05:30 PM

I also caution you to be a bit wary of what you find on WIKI, it contains much erronious information on all subjects since anyone can add/edit content.

Yea for sure. I noticed it happens more often in less viewed pages. Like on a very poor detailed small article on Socrates father. Someone put in something about lil Wayne the rapper shooting guns in the air eh.

Signature 

Posted: 03 December 2017 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2017-09-01

I’d like to clarify that this statement I was referring to this site being a reliable source of info.

Signature 

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.5287 seconds.