Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Can I Become One?
Posted: 18 November 2017 12:10 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  99
Joined  2012-11-10

Hello Member of the forum since November 10, 2012

I think i have signed up for this site when i was the age of 20 maybe 21? i am now 25 years old

I have a question when i signed up for this site i had no record… now sadly i do ... i live in north Carolina (black male) married with 2 kids expecting a third child * wife pregnant *

i have sadly gotten in trouble back in 2015 is when my * arrest date * back in 2015 and i guess this would be my day that i went to court and did my time for my stupid mistake 05/31/2016 ?

it’s my first time getting into trouble so i honestly don’t know how it all works.

Either way i went to court and pled guilty and i was pled with DWI and they sentence me to 30 days in jail but i have a job so i was doing weekends only..

so through out my probation period i was doing what i would normally do.. i would work come home and relax with wife and kids and just go to sleep work and etc… the only reason why i made this mistake is because i wanted to take a friend home on the 4th of july of 2016 and was worried his mother was going to make a big fuss that he wasn’t home…

which was kinda weird because he was like 30 something years old still living with his mother and had a job and everything just didn’t have him own place..

either way here is some information i pulled online from me getting in trouble ( DWI LEVEL 1
PRINCIPAL) Offense Date 07/05/2015 / Conviction Date:  05/31/2016

i have been off probation for a very long time i gotten two jobs now one job is 12 hours and the other one is over 17 hours i don’t know if that matters or not. but i have alot more better income then before… honestly i feel like freemasonry will better myself not just because it’s the largest fraternal because it will me become a better father husband and man overall i am just 25 i am still young and still have alot to learn and i think the people in the lodge can also help me to become a better person

i know if i do apply for a lodge that is PH i will have to let them know that of my history even though they will do a back ground check i know being honest is the best thing you can do. do you masons on the fourms think i have a shot at become a mason?

or it’s maybe to soon and i should at least wait 2 more years?

Posted: 18 November 2017 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  445
Joined  2014-03-28

Thank you for your question. It’s a fair one and you are not the first to ask it.

The problem is that there is no universal algorithm of acceptability, which is to say that every jurisdiction has its own rules and every lodge sets its own standards within those rules. I have seen statements by Masons arguing that even a speeding ticket should be enough to refuse an application. On the other hand, I know of at least one Mason with a DWI conviction who was accepted and progressed quite far.

In other words, each case is considered on its own merits and nobody here is going to be able to give you a 100% guaranteed-accurate response. I would respectfully suggest that you ask a lodge in your area.

Good luck.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979
WM Zetland Lodge No. 83 - 2017

Posted: 20 November 2017 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  512
Joined  2012-01-30
Dominique20 - 18 November 2017 12:10 AM

Hello Member of the forum since November 10, 2012

I think i have signed up for this site when i was the age of 20 maybe 21? i am now 25 years old

I have a question when i signed up for this site i had no record… now sadly i do ... i live in north Carolina (black male) married with 2 kids expecting a third child * wife pregnant *

i have sadly gotten in trouble back in 2015 is when my * arrest date * back in 2015 and i guess this would be my day that i went to court and did my time for my stupid mistake 05/31/2016 ?

it’s my first time getting into trouble so i honestly don’t know how it all works.

Either way i went to court and pled guilty and i was pled with DWI and they sentence me to 30 days in jail but i have a job so i was doing weekends only..

so through out my probation period i was doing what i would normally do.. i would work come home and relax with wife and kids and just go to sleep work and etc… the only reason why i made this mistake is because i wanted to take a friend home on the 4th of july of 2016 and was worried his mother was going to make a big fuss that he wasn’t home…

which was kinda weird because he was like 30 something years old still living with his mother and had a job and everything just didn’t have him own place..

either way here is some information i pulled online from me getting in trouble ( DWI LEVEL 1
PRINCIPAL) Offense Date 07/05/2015 / Conviction Date:  05/31/2016

i have been off probation for a very long time i gotten two jobs now one job is 12 hours and the other one is over 17 hours i don’t know if that matters or not. but i have alot more better income then before… honestly i feel like freemasonry will better myself not just because it’s the largest fraternal because it will me become a better father husband and man overall i am just 25 i am still young and still have alot to learn and i think the people in the lodge can also help me to become a better person

i know if i do apply for a lodge that is PH i will have to let them know that of my history even though they will do a back ground check i know being honest is the best thing you can do. do you masons on the fourms think i have a shot at become a mason?

or it’s maybe to soon and i should at least wait 2 more years?

If you petitioned my lodge these are the questions I’d want to ask based on your post:

Did you drive him home on July 4, 2016 or 2015?
When you drove had you been drinking?
How much had you drank?
What was your blood alcohol content?
Did you provide a breath sample? (if the above is I don’t know)
What was your driving record before and after the incident?
Whose fault was it?
Why did you feel it was ok for you to drive in this situation?
Do you know have a fully restored license?

To give you a background of where these questions are coming from.  I am law enforcement officer.  One of the first lessons in Freemasonry is to keep our passions in check.  I’d be on the fence for a 2015 date of offense.  I’d be a solid no for a 2016 date of offense.  Now around 2020-2021 if all things are above board then I’d be a much more willing to say yes.

The above is only my opinion and as was stated each lodge and grand lodge is different.  I do truly wish you well.

Signature 

DeWayne
MM, RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF, Athelstan

I’m living in the DC area now.

There is no Gospel According to St. Youtube.

Posted: 27 November 2017 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2014-08-22

Some jurisdictions, like mine (Kentucky) bans anyone with a felony conviction but will consider men with a misdemeanor on a case by case basis. Can the GL or PH GL of your state. They can give you the answer.

Signature 

St. Matthews Lodge 906, Louisville,Kentucky.
Suburban Lodge 740, Louisville,Kentucky
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
Knights of St. Andrew, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter # 5, Royal Arch Masons
Louisville Council # 4, Royal and Select Masters
Louisville-DeMolay Commandery #12, Knights Templar

Posted: 28 November 2017 05:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2016-10-06

I wrote a long post but I lost it for some reason. In nutshell: I think it’s too early for you to consider joining Freemasonry. You need to rehabilitate yourself in your own life first then only you can approach a lodge.

Posted: 02 December 2017 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2017-09-01

It’s really sad when someone judges another person based off of what they read on them in a paper. That’s like someone saying they know freemasonry by what they read without being a mason.

Signature 

I’m not a mason, don’t ask me about freemasonry or take my posts as masonic knowing or perspective.

Posted: 02 December 2017 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1463
Joined  2010-11-01
Athena - 02 December 2017 09:04 AM

It’s really sad when someone judges another person based off of what they read on them in a paper. That’s like someone saying they know freemasonry by what they read without being a mason.

Not really sure I understand your comment.  Freemasonry has rules and expectations of its’ members and potential members.  With that said, each lodge has its’ own standards based on and in addition to the standards of the jurisdiction it is in. The OP was giving some details looking for an answer.  The answers given were appropriate based on the standards in the jurisdictions of those answering.  No judgement was passed.  Each one said there would need to be further discussion, not an outright no.  The same would hold true if the gentleman approached my lodge.

Signature 

W:.Paul Hulseapple
W:. Master St. Georges Lodge #6
Schenectady, NY
Feliciana Lodge #31
St. Francisville, LA

32┬░AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
E:. High Priest

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S.

Posted: 02 December 2017 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2017-09-01
PDH825 - 02 December 2017 09:22 AM
Athena - 02 December 2017 09:04 AM

Not really sure I understand your comment.  Freemasonry has rules and expectations of its’ members and potential members.  With that said, each lodge has its’ own standards based on and in addition to the standards of the jurisdiction it is in. The OP was giving some details looking for an answer.  The answers given were appropriate based on the standards in the jurisdictions of those answering.  No judgement was passed.  Each one said there would need to be further discussion, not an outright no.  The same would hold true if the gentleman approached my lodge.

Oh no I was speaking on the general concept itself. Not anything to do with masonic qualification or on the bounds of freemasonry.

Sorry if I got off topic.

Signature 

I’m not a mason, don’t ask me about freemasonry or take my posts as masonic knowing or perspective.

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4747 seconds.