Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Am I obligated to speak at the Agape (dinner) after lodge if there is a subject discussion?
Posted: 10 November 2017 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2017-09-27

Is there an obligation to speak at the agape (dinner) after the masonic ceremony in lodge if there is a specific discussion?

Posted: 10 November 2017 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4055
Joined  2007-09-27

Could you provide a little more context?  I’ve never heard a Masonic dinner called an “agape”.  I know it means banquet in spanish, but is this something local to you?  I couldn’t tell where you were located because your profile doesn’t say.

Also….it’s very difficult to answer this question.  You have to understand that there are thousands of lodges, and they all have different traditions.  I think it is common for guests to stand and introduce themselves, but I also know of a lodge where if you are invited to dinner, a toast is mandatory.  I doubt that is the case for you, but it’s probably a question best asked by a member of that lodge.  As I said, every lodge has different processes and traditions, so there is no one single answer to your question.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 10 November 2017 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2017-09-27

We always get together after lodge and discuss a particular subject.  We take turns to speak in a clockwise manner.  Sometimes brothers who don’t want to speak just say “pass” but some of the members sometimes frown when that happens. 

My lodge is in Italy.

If any members in this forum have a similar tradition after lodge send me a message. 

Thanks,

Luca

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4151 seconds.