Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Do I qualify for being a Mason?
Posted: 08 October 2017 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2017-09-01

Hello I am asking because I am unsure if I qualify.

Basically the good person nature I am wondering of because I have done some bad things in my past primarily when I was 14 years of age and bellow. Some when I was 20. I am older now and I have completely reformed from these actions and honestly the last bad act that could be masonic misconduct was around 5 days ago where I offered money to people with knowledge of who had my jacket and threatened that anyone who had it might be met with violence. However I regretted that action and the threat was empty as I would have not done it I just really wanted that jacket it was given to me by a very special friend. However as testimony that I will never do such a thing again my costly shoes ended up stolen or missing a few days after and I mentioned it to people in the place that I live in (Identified in the application) and am currently moving out. Didn’t get upset or anything nor did I send staff scrambling to find them just simply mentioned it and then I left to lease my apartment came back and someone placed them in my room on the floor.

I have always had strong morals regarding honesty as being honest has gotten me through a lot of things in life. As well I’ve always had strong beliefs in philanthropy and a loving heart wanting to help others (Which is one of the main reasons i want to join) almost everyone that knows me can validate this.

However I have had questionable failures in life that I matched with mini-successes. For instance I got kicked out of highschool for a few minor physical altercations and got sent to an alternative school where I flourished. I achieved peer model status which only a handful of students to my knowledge have gotten in the schools history and you need to distribute profound moral character and be nice to the students and teachers and cooperate with them. You cannot get this status by being a teachers pet being nice to students is a requirement. As well I got some of the best grades in that school (It’s low populated with a lot of insubordinate students.)

I have no criminal history but I have a sealed record due to the crimes being done when I was a minor. I got off probation early for good behavior.

Also, I grew up in the church from attending after middle school and attended at my own free will. Hence why most of my bad actions were from a very young age and reformed after getting involved in the christian community. There was a point of time where I convinced a few others in my family to become regulars with me.

To summarize in my opinion I believe I am a good person and I believe in God and have morally good ambitions in life involving freemasonry and my life in general.

I sent in an application Sunday October 8 2017 around 12:15-12:30 please review it and use it to answer my question.

Currently I know I am not financially qualified as I am on SSI but it’s pretty much a guarantee that I will get a job again soon and I have learned how to handle money and budget very well. However I do have enough money to support myself (Family is N/A because I have no children nor wife)

Another question is regarding mental qualifications. I am diagnosed with ADHD, Bipolar, and Asperger Syndrome.  ADHD is hardly noticed as I am not hyper and I can concentrate way better then ever before. Bipolar mood swings range from extremely relaxed to a very well controlled manic. When it comes to Asperger syndrome the intelligence attributed to autism shine and social incompetence has almost been completely abolished however I still have very minor trouble identifying non verbal cues.

Answer any time you wish and also please put my interest in joining Freemasonry into consideration. I really want to join and believe in the moral values of it and I want to grow to become better then I already am. Thanks!

Edit: I am a male by the way.

Edit: Please mention to your brothers that I plan on reading a lot of masonic literature if I ever get accepted and earn my first degree of blue lodge masonry and will continue to do so.

Posted: 08 October 2017 04:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1256
Joined  2011-11-10

Whilst I can’t comment on your qualifications to join (I’m in the UK, not the US and our qualifications are slightly different), I can pass comment on one aspect of your post - that about sending in an application.  Note that sending ‘an application’ to someone on this site does not constitute making an application to join - to do that, you would need to contact a lodge local to where you live.  Joining (or ‘applying to join’) this site does not and will not make you a mason.  All it will do is give you the opportunity to ask questions about Freemasonry and perhaps point you in the right direction.  Be aware though, that even threatening violence is not going to go down well.

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 08 October 2017 04:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  572
Joined  2012-09-18

Is this a copy of a letter that you sent to a Lodge along with your application?
Simply based on what I read here, I would not disqualify you simply because of some youthful indiscretions and mental health issues.
Have you taken time to visit the Lodge that you wish to join and get to know the members thereof?

It will be up to the Lodge that you petitioned to make the final determination though.

Signature 

Past Master, Dryden Lodge #472
Secretary, Caroline Lodge #618
Hudson,Fulton,Dryden Chapter #250 OES
32* A&ASR; Coudersport Pa.
RAM Fidelity #77

Posted: 08 October 2017 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2336
Joined  2011-01-20

Masonry is not done on the Internet, it is done in person. The process of joining a lodge starts with making friends with a member. That may have already happened or may happen by contacting a lodge and meeting with a member. Your friend will then carefully consider if you would be someone he would be proud to sit next to in lodge. If that is the case, when and if you ask to join he will give you a short form to fill out called a “Petition” and sign it as your sponsor. This is the start of the application process. If these are the steps you took, congratulations, you are on your way to becoming a Mason. If not, you have either contacted a lodge or Grand Lodge to start the process or are being scammed.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 08 October 2017 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-09-01

I am very sorry for the miscommunication. I ment to say one of those interest in joining emails. I just gave out a list of people through all aspects of life there numbers and all that. I believe I have met two masons in life that I’ve known for years can I get a pm so I can give out the names for verification? Also yes I’m trying my best to seek out masons in real life and get to know them I think I have the numbers of one of them? I don’t plan on attempting to join let alone fill out a petitition until after a year. That last incident in my opinion and I’m sure other masons would agree prove I’m not ready.

Posted: 08 October 2017 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2011-03-20
Athena - 08 October 2017 09:53 AM

I am very sorry for the miscommunication. I ment to say one of those interest in joining emails. I just gave out a list of people through all aspects of life there numbers and all that. I believe I have met two masons in life that I’ve known for years can I get a pm so I can give out the names for verification? Also yes I’m trying my best to seek out masons in real life and get to know them I think I have the numbers of one of them? I don’t plan on attempting to join let alone fill out a petitition until after a year. That last incident in my opinion and I’m sure other masons would agree prove I’m not ready.

You have answered your own questions! Go and speak to the two Masons that you already know and ask them about how to join, you have no need of the Internet.

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 08 October 2017 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-09-01
Mike Martin - 08 October 2017 10:43 AM
Athena - 08 October 2017 09:53 AM

You have answered your own questions! Go and speak to the two Masons that you already know and ask them about how to join, you have no need of the Internet.

Thank you so much this makes me so happy! I will seek them out I have nothing more to add. I got slightly emotiomal and teared up a bit when I read this because it made me joyful and glad that there still is a chance. Its been a recent aspiration of mine to join and for all the right reasons as well. I really do have a heart and devotion to my God, other people, and freemasonry in general. I’ve met a few masons in life and they are really nice people and would enjoy such company. I kinda underexagerated.. I am crying quite a bit.

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3808 seconds.