Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Quick question regarding showing symbols
Posted: 27 September 2017 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2017-09-12

Good afternoon gentlemen!

I recently had my prove up for EA and obtained my Fellowcraft, but I have one question!  At which point is it acceptable for me to start wearing the square and compass?  I have an old patch of my grandfathers that I would like to sew onto a jacket of mine, but I also want to be sure that I don’t offend any brothers in or outside of the lodge by not currently having the degree of Master underneath me.  Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!!

Sincerely,

Brent
Lodge 19
Minneapolis, MN

Posted: 27 September 2017 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  443
Joined  2014-03-28

Technically, the ‘normal’ square-and-compass is a Master Mason symbol. In Europe, where advancing in degrees can take much longer than here in N America, there are actually EA and FC rings, key chains, etc.

Will anyone object? That would depend on your lodge. I would suggest that you ask your sponsor.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 27 September 2017 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2011-03-20

My answer is slightly different.

I would suggest that you shouldn’t wear an emblem of the Craft until such time that you can guarantee that your general behaviour and disposition lives up to its ideals and that you have enough of a knowledge and familiarity with it to be able to explain it (without making stuff up) to a non-Mason who may question you about it.

Sometimes our “newer” brethren forget that when they don emblems of the Craft outside of a tiled Lodge that they have made themselves Ambassadors of Freemasonry to non-Masons and their behaviour needs to uphold the good name of Freemasonry.

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 29 September 2017 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  104
Joined  2014-08-22

In my jurisdiction the S & C is only to be worn by a Master Mason.

Signature 

St. Matthews Lodge 906, Louisville,Kentucky.
Suburban Lodge 740, Louisville,Kentucky
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
Knights of St. Andrew, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter # 5, Royal Arch Masons
Louisville Council # 4, Royal and Select Masters
Louisville-DeMolay Commandery #12, Knights Templar

Posted: 29 September 2017 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-09-12

Wonderful, thank you gentlemen for your wonderful insight on this topic!

Posted: 01 October 2017 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2336
Joined  2011-01-20

Just one more thing to keep in mind. When you wear the symbol of a Master Mason before you have been Raised you do not have the knowledge to answer some questions that constitute public “trial”. When that happens, you may inadvertently be labelled a cowen.

Some brothers take this very seriously even to the point of stripping you of the symbols you are wearing be that a patch or ring. While I don’t agree with this, it does happen.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 02 October 2017 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-09-12

I definitely would not want to offend or overstep boundaries with anyone.  I will just hold off until I obtain my third degree!  I have my MM degree on November 11th and I am quite excited for it! 

Thank you all for your insightful wisdom and thoughts on this topic!

Posted: 17 October 2017 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  373
Joined  2012-03-05

I’m not concerned about a FC using a MM Square & Compasses as a jacket patch or car emblem.

However, I recommend that you wait because for now, you’re not really qualified to answer questions from the general public about being a Mason yet.

Signature 

Dave

Worshipful Master, Garden City Lodge A.F. & A.M., Newtonville, MA—Entered: 4/12/01; Passed: 5/10/01; Raised: 6/14/01
Treasurer, Boston University Lodge A.F. & A.M, Boston, MA
Mount Lebanon Lodge A.F. & A.M., Boston, MA
Boston-Lafayette Lodge of Perfection, Scottish Rite Valley of Boston
Aleppo Shrine, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Wilmington, MA

Posted: 19 October 2017 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2017-05-15
TheNinthChevron - 02 October 2017 11:22 PM

I definitely would not want to offend or overstep boundaries with anyone.  I will just hold off until I obtain my third degree!  I have my MM degree on November 11th and I am quite excited for it! 

Thank you all for your insightful wisdom and thoughts on this topic!

FWIW, I’m going to be raised two days after you. I was given a Grand Master’s PIN at Lodge that I wore during FC Degree Work and my FC examination before I could proceed to my Raising. However, I have the pin with my S&C ring on my bookshelf until I get my 3rd. Once I get my 3rd, the ring goes on, and will stay on my finger until I get another ring… :)

Signature 

Petitioned: April 6, 2017
Initiated: June 5, 2017
Passed: July 24, 2017
Raised: To Be Determined

‹‹ Thanks to Administrator!      I want to join ››

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3867 seconds.