Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

How would a mason act and what is unmasonic behaviour?
Posted: 26 September 2017 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2017-09-25

I’m just wondering what tenants of masonry would be applied to life? I myself am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day saints and have been informed that masonry has many similarities. In contrast what type of behavior or conduct would be unmasonic? I’m just seeking enlightenment and further knowledge at this time

Posted: 27 September 2017 02:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  508
Joined  2012-01-30

Masonry teaches a variety of life and spiritual lessons.  They can be applied to aspects of life.  As part of the first degree we are taught time management and equality.  Unmasonic is generally not being a good person:  dishonest, cheat, thief, etc.

Sorry for the vague answers.  But with such broad questions it’s the only way to answer.  Please feel free to keep asking!!

Signature 

DeWayne
MM, RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF, Athelstan

I’m living in the DC area now.

There is no Gospel According to St. Youtube.

Posted: 27 September 2017 04:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2011-03-20

To such a broad and unlimited question can only be given a similar answer.

Freemasonry basically inculcates the golden rule in its members: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 27 September 2017 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  443
Joined  2014-03-28

My jurisdiction lists some specific Masonic offences in its constitution, but they are often very general. Essentially, they consist of three broad areas: adherence to or promotion of atheism, the intentional violation of one’s Masonic oath and offences against other people. As noted already, anything which hurts another could certainly be considered a Masonic offence.

So, pretty broad and sorry about that. Each case is of course considered on its own merits.

As to your broader question, which tenets of Masonry can be applied to everyday life, well, you’ve touched the very core of the brotherhood, but here’s where it gets harder to describe in a way an outsider can easily understand. A common definition of Freemasonry describes it in part as, “a beautiful system of morality.”  Everything we do is centred on morality, although it may not always be obvious how. Things such as virtue, morality and brotherly love are constantly emphasized in our ritual. Each of our symbols reminds us of proper behaviour. Does it always work? Of course not, anymore than any other course of study. But for a man who is willing to study and reflect on what he is presented, Masonry offers a solid set of tools.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 27 September 2017 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2014-04-04

In the Grand Lodge of California (and elsewhere to my observations) the Virtues taught - and which apply to everyday life - are
Brotherly Love, Relief, Truth, Faith, Hope, Charity, Respect, Temperance, Fortitude, Prudence and Justice

Masonic offenses would include any act of Moral Turpitude, which may result in Censure, Suspension, or Expulsion.

Posted: 27 September 2017 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2017-09-25

All of those things listed above which are of good character I agree with. brotherly love, charity, good works and so on and so forth. Thanks for the reply guys.

Posted: 29 September 2017 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  104
Joined  2014-08-22
Mike Martin - 27 September 2017 04:44 AM

To such a broad and unlimited question can only be given a similar answer.

Freemasonry basically inculcates the golden rule in its members: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

This sounds good to me!

Signature 

St. Matthews Lodge 906, Louisville,Kentucky.
Suburban Lodge 740, Louisville,Kentucky
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
Knights of St. Andrew, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter # 5, Royal Arch Masons
Louisville Council # 4, Royal and Select Masters
Louisville-DeMolay Commandery #12, Knights Templar

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3169 seconds.