Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Wanting to join
Posted: 26 September 2017 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2017-09-25

Hello everyone I am currently serving in the navy and beginning the process of transferring to my next command which will be in Bahrain. Are there any lodges on the military installation in Bahrain? I have spoken with a few masons here in Nebraska where I am currently stationed and I was told I can go through the process of joining here before I leave through the Scottish rite in Omaha who has a expedited program although I leave in less than 3 weeks and would like to be able to be active in the lodge rather than just joining and leaving. If there are no lodges in Bahrain are there corespondence lessons to continue learning if I were to join before I go? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you all for your time.

VR
John Gutschow

Posted: 27 September 2017 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  510
Joined  2012-01-30

With only three weeks your chances are almost zero to join before leaving.  It is possible to be part of a one day class.  Your best bet would be to contact the GL of Nebraska (http://www.glne.org/contact.html).

Correspondence courses as a form of distant learning isn’t really possible in Freemasonry.  Our degrees are experiences that you must be present for.  With that said there are books and some online resources but these are for personal Masonic growth and not “degrees”.  I’d argue the personal Masonic growth is more important than any degree other than the 1st degree.

I’ll give a story I’ve told often regarding service members.  When I lived in Alabama there was a Marine who was retiring and he was currently a Fellow Craft (2nd degree).  He turned in his Alabama proficiency and was getting ready to become a Master Mason (3rd degree).  About two years before this he was stationed in Hawaii and was initiated into a Hawaiian lodge.  The day after his initiation he was given orders to deploy to the middle east in roughly the same time frame you mentioned.  After deployment he was stationed in Alabama.

The Alabama lodge, via official channels, contacted the Hawaiian lodge he was initiated into.  Alabama asked if they could preform courtesy work for Hawaii and they said yes.  So the Grand Lodge of Alabama had the Hawaiian Entered Apprentice go through Alabama’s advancement and Hawaii accepted this.  So when the brother became a Master Mason he was a Master Mason of a Hawaiian lodge with the help of Alabama.  He then transferred his membership to Alabama.

The point of the story is this:  So long as the lodge is regular a sister jurisdiction can assist you.  We are a world wide brotherhood.  Now there may not be an quick solution for you to become a Mason but Freemasonry is a life long journey.

We, American Grand Lodges, place a huge emphases on the 3rd degree but in reality the 1st degree is the most important.  An entered apprentice is just as much of a Mason as a Master Mason. 

As far as I know there is no regular Masonic lodge in Bahrain.  But you best bet would be to ask when you get there.  Check with MWR, your chaplain, and coworkers who are known to be safe.  In some places in the world Freemasonry is illegal and can get you killed.

DeWayne, US Army vet and Freemason

Signature 

DeWayne
MM, RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF, Athelstan

I’m living in the DC area now.

There is no Gospel According to St. Youtube.

Posted: 27 September 2017 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  444
Joined  2014-03-28

As a vet myself, I would suggest that you wait a bit.

Even if it is possible to be made a Mason before your departure, it would be of little benefit to you without an opportunity to practice your new experience. On the other hand, if you found a lodge in your new destination, you would almost certainly be able to petition them for membership and be initiated there.

(Personal opinion - the one-day-does-it-all programs are not good ones. Others may disagree, but to me they lack the emotional impact of doing it in a normal fashion.)

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear, but reality is always better.

By the way, thanks for your service. Good luck with your posting.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 24 October 2017 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2017-05-15
Lark - 27 September 2017 09:37 AM

(Personal opinion - the one-day-does-it-all programs are not good ones. Others may disagree, but to me they lack the emotional impact of doing it in a normal fashion.)

I’m not a Master Mason, but a Fellow Craft, but since it will only be a couple of weeks before I am Raised, I wanted to add that I too agree with your opinion, and I highly doubt that this opinion will change upon me becoming a Master Mason. In my time, I was settling in a new state, settling in a new job and home, working more than a 50 hour work week, spending time with new friends, spending time with my wife, going to various conferences related to work, and starting a new semester of graduate school with TWO classes that takes much of my time. I still made time for postings, learning and absorbing the Craft and participating in various social gatherings, plus volunteering my time at Lodge with certain functions (doing security-type work while a huge function was taking place at Lodge.) I will always love and respect Brethren who goes/went the one-day route but I feel it takes away from much of the process of truly understanding the Craft. If I ever hear “I was too busy to go through that *stuff*” to do it regularly…what does that say about Brethren like myself? That I wasn’t busy?

End Rant, and my apologies if I broke the rule about only Master Masons posting on issues that are Masonic, but I did feel this was appropriate to share my opinion on this.

Signature 

Petitioned: April 6, 2017
Initiated: June 5, 2017
Passed: July 24, 2017
Raised: November 13, 2017
Hiram Lodge #50 F&AM;, Madison WI

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3767 seconds.