Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

5 of 5
Required belief in a Supreme Being
Posted: 08 October 2017 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1256
Joined  2011-11-10
Athena - 08 October 2017 02:38 AM

I am not in any way shape or form or mason, but do I have permission to express my opinion on God from the perspective of my religion “Unitarian Universalism?” Not sure if it is allowed on this board because I know religion and politics cannot be discussed in the Lodge not sure if it apples on this forum.

You may need to expand on your beliefs in order to garner an opinion as to whether you qualify for membership as a Google search suggests that your religion can include atheists among its adherents.

From Wikipedia:
As such, UU congregations include many agnostics, theists, and atheists among their membership.

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 08 October 2017 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  508
Joined  2012-01-30

I am a member of a UU church and a Freemason. Granted I’m sure there are members of my church who wouldn’t qualify for membership.

Signature 

DeWayne
MM, RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF, Athelstan

I’m living in the DC area now.

There is no Gospel According to St. Youtube.

Posted: 08 October 2017 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2336
Joined  2011-01-20

While I in no way speak for any UU Congregation, let alone the denomination, I am a UU. Many people misunderstand what we believe because it doesn’t fit into a box like most other religions. We are bound by our Covenant(s), here’s one that is very popular in UU Churches:

“This is our great Covenant: To dwell together in peace, to seek the truth in love, and to help one another.”

Many may notice there is no mention of the Supreme Being there. The middle section, “to seek the truth in love”, is where He comes in to me. Others I sit next to in church may have a different opinion and that’s OK. We are all on a journey guided by our covenant and just like Masons, we are all somewhere between the Ashlars. 

One Minister put it to us this way:

“Here is the entire Dogma of Unitarian Universalism: Thou shalt find out for thyself.”

Part of what he was saying is that we are free to believe what we find to be true but must do the honest work of finding that out. I have read the scripture of every major faith (in translation of course) from Christianity to Zoroastrianism. I even delivered a sermon entitled, “We’re All Saying the Same Thing” pointing out the common ground of all major faiths. My research stretched as far as reading much of the work of Richard Dawkins, a well known Atheist.

I still find that my personal faith shows me the Supreme Being and that He loves me.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 08 October 2017 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2017-09-01
Brother John - 08 October 2017 09:10 AM

While I in no way speak for any UU Congregation, let alone the denomination, I am a UU. Many people misunderstand what we believe because it doesn’t fit into a box like most other religions. We are bound by our Covenant(s), here’s one that is very popular in UU Churches:

“This is our great Covenant: To dwell together in peace, to seek the truth in love, and to help one another.”

Many may notice there is no mention of the Supreme Being there. The middle section, “to seek the truth in love”, is where He comes in to me. Others I sit next to in church may have a different opinion and that’s OK. We are all on a journey guided by our covenant and just like Masons, we are all somewhere between the Ashlars. 

“Here is the entire Dogma of Unitarian Universalism: Thou shalt find out for thyself.”

Part of what he was saying is that we are free to believe what we find to be true but must do the honest work of finding that out. I have read the scripture of every major faith (in translation of course) from Christianity to Zoroastrianism. I even delivered a sermon entitled, “We’re All Saying the Same Thing” pointing out the common ground of all major faiths. My research stretched as far as reading much of the work of Richard Dawkins, a well known Atheist.

I still find that my personal faith shows me the Supreme Being and that He loves me.

That is so cool! I have never been to a UU church. However I read up on there beliefs and I love it! One question though.. Is there any Jehova witnesses that are freemason? I’m glad there are two people in this thread that are UU.

Posted: 08 October 2017 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-20
Athena - 08 October 2017 11:21 AM

That is so cool! I have never been to a UU church. However I read up on there beliefs and I love it! One question though.. Is there any Jehova witnesses that are freemason? I’m glad there are two people in this thread that are UU.

To be honest, I haven’t got a clue. A man’s religion is between himself and the Supreme Being and not something we are even allowed to discuss in lodge. Outside of the lodge room, we are free to discuss religion but I only know the faith of a very few members of my lodge.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 09 October 2017 04:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-09-01
Brother John - 08 October 2017 02:27 PM
Athena - 08 October 2017 11:21 AM

To be honest, I haven’t got a clue. A man’s religion is between himself and the Supreme Being and not something we are even allowed to discuss in lodge. Outside of the lodge room, we are free to discuss religion but I only know the faith of a very few members of my lodge.

They are nice people I went to a few of there bible studies and attended there watchtower meeting.. However being exposed to them in the kingdom hall I noticed they were very unacceptive of any other Christian denomination but there own. I do not dislike there religion I just don’t agree with there beliefs. I mean I have no negative interaction with them they have been nothing but nice to me and the guy that picked me up paid for my meal even though I was insistent that I paid for my own self. However I try to show little bias when judging others and based on what I seen it doesn’t look to good. This was all looking back at it all of course. Then I just heard yesterday that Jehovah witnesses don’t allow anyone that is involved with them to get into Freemasonry. When it comes down to it if they were very accepting of other denominations, religions and celebrated holidays I probably would have dropped interest in freemasonry and just stuck with them while going to a regular christian church. However what drew me in was there belief in free will over predestination and certain other aspects of there interpretation on God and the bible. Yea but I’m trying break off from them in a kind non condensending way. They were all very nice to me and I gave one of them my number I just don’t like them constantly talking negative about every denomination and holiday/celebrations but there own. I don’t hate them and I’m not bashing there religion it’s just from what I observed. That is the reason why I asked. Not because I suspect that there are some in that denomination as masons.

Posted: 10 October 2017 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  788
Joined  2007-03-18

Athena

Just wanted to make sure something was clear in this thread.  Freemasonry is not a religion, nor is it a substitute for religion. It is a fraternity of men from all religions, or if not members of a formal religion, men who have stated that they believe in a supreme being. “Do you believe in a Supreme Being?”—it’s a yes or no question, and that’s the only question about religion we are going to ask you on your application.  There is no other question or discussion. That’s as far as we get into religion. And once you are a Mason, as other Masons have explained, we don’t discuss religion in any form in the Lodge.

Hope that helps.

Bob

Signature 

Bob Heruska
Past Master
Columbian Lodge
Boston, MA

Member of the York Rite, Scottish Rite, and the Mystic Shrine.

Posted: 10 October 2017 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-20
Bob Heruska - 10 October 2017 08:50 AM

Athena

Just wanted to make sure something was clear in this thread.  Freemasonry is not a religion, nor is it a substitute for religion. It is a fraternity of men from all religions, or if not members of a formal religion, men who have stated that they believe in a supreme being. “Do you believe in a Supreme Being?”—it’s a yes or no question, and that’s the only question about religion we are going to ask you on your application.  There is no other question or discussion. That’s as far as we get into religion. And once you are a Mason, as other Masons have explained, we don’t discuss religion in any form in the Lodge.

Hope that helps.

Bob

Absolutely! One of my most treasured experiences in lodge was sitting between two brothers, one was Jewish and the other Muslim. I attended the initiation of a Sikh (the lodge got dispensation for him to wear his turban).

In Israel, there are always three books on the altar: the Tanakh, the Qua’ran, and the Bible.

The requirement is a belief in the Supreme Being. We don’t concern ourselves with what you call Him or how you worship Him.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°

Posted: 10 October 2017 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1256
Joined  2011-11-10

And I was in attendance when a friend of mine (a Jew) was Master and the candidate was a Parsee.

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 10 October 2017 10:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-09-01
BrotherJohn - 20 September 2017 04:12 PM
hanzer - 20 September 2017 03:58 PM

Generally, I imagine Master Masons as being people who necessarily are interested in discussing Architectural issues.

For the most part, I am fishing rather than petitioning.

Nope. We are far more interested in self improvement and helping each other. We are a Fraternity, not a trade union or a school.

Your question was answered twice now yet you continue to argue that you are right and we are wrong. That’s OK,  you are entitled to your opinion just as we are entitled to ours. We, as Masons, submit to a set of rules that were passed down to us from our ancient brothers called the Ancient Landmarks. They are documented in the Regis Document that dates to 1459. These rules include the requirement of belief in the Supreme Being.  If you cannot submit to these rules you simply cannot be a Mason and that’s OK,  too. It isn’t for everyone,  just those who are duly qualified according to our rules.

I hope you don’t mind but I read the Regis Document.
  It really does debunk the conspiracies on how they think that in some degree of freemasonry it is required to deny God and that they worship satan.
  If I were to get accepted in the coming years which might be unlikely and I were to find out that either of those accusations are true I would demit.

However I have one question in this text it makes the exact statement.
    “will no do so, the sheriff shall come them soon to, and put there bodies in deep prison”
I’m just curious is the text implying that someone could be falsely imprisoned without committing a crime due to breaking or dishonoring masonic conduct?
  Not that I’m worried for it I’m just asking because I couldn’t agree with it unless the person was really immoral. For the most part I’d disagree.

If I recall punishments are reprimands and temporary suspensions that could last years and at worst case expulsion?

The reason why I posted that thread about the guy from the reality show wearing a freemason hat is because I probably wouldn’t be interested if people like that were allowed to join. Don’t like people like that to be honest.

In the end I really got to find truth in myself and what is good in the eyes of God. Not sure if I should use the grand architect since I’m not a mason so I’ll use God I guess.

Posted: 11 October 2017 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2013-03-20

The Regis Document is not Scripture. We do not consider every word to be enforceable law. It is a whimsical rendering of the rules of a Trade Guild fron well over 500 years ago. The rules of Masonry today are contained in our rituals, the Grand Constitutions of each jurisdiction and the bylaws of each lodge. So, no, we aren’t going to call the sheriff if somebody behaves unmasonically.

Signature 

John Ruggiero
Master, Ancient York Lodge AF&AM;, Lowell, MA, USA

“God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much.” - Mother Teresa

Posted: 11 October 2017 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-09-01
BrotherJohn - 11 October 2017 05:49 AM

The Regis Document is not Scripture. We do not consider every word to be enforceable law. It is a whimsical rendering of the rules of a Trade Guild fron well over 500 years ago. The rules of Masonry today are contained in our rituals, the Grand Constitutions of each jurisdiction and the bylaws of each lodge. So, no, we aren’t going to call the sheriff if somebody behaves unmasonically.

Yea I mean some symbology people claim to be satanic but they really aren’t. As for the rituals I choose not to dig in because I don’t want any spoilers. Even though I’m sure someone could find out. A few say there is pagan worship but from my understanding of the allegoric nature of the craft they pertain to the teachings which I really admire.

Posted: 16 October 2017 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  443
Joined  2014-03-28
Athena - 08 October 2017 02:38 AM

I am not in any way shape or form or mason, but do I have permission to express my opinion on God from the perspective of my religion “Unitarian Universalism?” Not sure if it is allowed on this board because I know religion and politics cannot be discussed in the Lodge not sure if it apples on this forum.

Within a Lodge, whether or not there is a formal meeting in progress, any discussion of religion is inappropriate. Nobody can proselytize for his own nor criticize another’s beliefs.

On the forum,  it would be up to the moderators. If it was in terms of a question along the lines of, “Would this belief be acceptable for admission?” then I would think yes. If it was a discussion as to why your beliefs are correct and others’ are not, then probably not.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

5 of 5

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4238 seconds.