Required belief in a Supreme Being
Posted: 25 September 2017 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  508
Joined  2012-01-30
hanzer - 25 September 2017 09:06 PM
Bro DHoward - 25 September 2017 08:49 PM

[snip] YOU are asking to join Freemasonry [snip]

That seems to be a thoroughly entrenched assumption here.

Of course it is a thoroughly entrenched assumption here.  It is the stated purpose of the entire website (http://www.masonforum.com/viewthread/64/) “to allow non Masons to ask questions of real Freemasons and discuss topics relating to becoming a Freemason.”

It’d be like going to a restaurant and the staff assuming you are there to eat.

Signature 

DeWayne
MM, RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF, Athelstan

I’m living in the DC area now.

There is no Gospel According to St. Youtube.

Posted: 25 September 2017 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2017-09-10

As a consciousness expansion exercise, you could try to imagine at least three reasons why someone might Ask a Freemason a question other than “Can I join?”.

Posted: 26 September 2017 01:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1256
Joined  2011-11-10
hanzer - 25 September 2017 07:24 PM

Quibbling really isn’t my thing but it might be interesting to slightly change the focus a bit on this particular issue. There could be around a million Master Masons in the United Sates Grand Lodges. Other sources estimate about five million current members worldwide. That is an institution that has *significant* influence: it lives in five million people. There is also some brick & mortar infrastructure - libraries, museums, lodges. And many people who are not members are nonetheless aware of its presence and are affected by the influence it has on its participants.

5 million amongst 7.5 billion? Hardly a significant number. Yes it has an impact on its members, but not in the wider context of the world population.

What are you really here for?

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 26 September 2017 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-09-10

Hello Richard,

I guess quibbling is your thing. You’re not going to be a toxic little tumor like the other English guy posting in this thread, are you?

Sorry, Dick. I haven’t had coffee yet.

My goal here is to experience the quality of its members while I research the Institution. There are no secrets in the nature of my game ;)

Posted: 26 September 2017 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  788
Joined  2007-03-18

Well Hanzer

I have to admit that I am trying to decide if I am intrigued by this thread or just annoyed.  But you seem like a pretty smart guy, so you should know that using the phrase “toxic little tumor” in any context about one of our most senior and respected members is going to invite a little annoyance.  You did say you are sorry, but it certainly didn’t seem genuine.  And I guess that’s the crux of my message here. The members of this forum have been taking time out of their lives to help people who are interested in Masonry for many years. They are genuine.  They are not going to lie to you or try to fool you into becoming a Mason. At this point you don’t fit the criteria anyway, but even if you did you have to know that Lodges are fraternities.  With some fraternities you have to be invited in, and with some you have to ask. We are the latter.  But that doesn’t mean you get in. People have to like you and want to be around you. You won’t be joining a virtual lodge – you’ll be joining a lodge in one of those brick and motor buildings in the state where you live. And if just one of those guys thinks you’re a blowhard, or doesn’t think you’re a good man, the proverbial black ball is your exit out –before you can even see what it’s all about. 

As I said, you seem intelligent. And well read.  You even look a lot like my Lodge’s current Master, and he’s one of the best men I have ever seen sit in the East.  So I’m cutting you a little slack here.  But I can tell you that you’re not going to expand your knowledge here on this Forum, or even when you become a Mason, for that matter. Our messages come from antiquity, and they aren’t secret.  But they are taught in a way that each person takes something different from the experience.  That’s because what you really learn about in Freemasonry is who you really are.

If that intrigues you, I suggest you stop the rhetoric, dig deep, and really decide how you feel about the idea that a Supreme Being may have had a hand in your innate intelligence. And if you choose to believe that, then approach a Lodge near you.  Don’t try to impress anyone, because that will just make you unlikable.  And then see what you think. Judge the quality of the men in Masonic Lodges when you meet them in person.  Not in a forum.  At some point, if you ask and are accepted and you become a Mason, all of us on here will be your Brothers. And you might even be able to then investigate some of the more esoteric aspects of the craft – and use your intelligence and insight to help us answer questions from people like yourself.

But first, I would watch this little video below – and even some of the ones that follow. And while some of the folks on this forum produced the video, most of it is in Ben Franklin’s own words—after he had been a Mason for 60 years or so.

Anyway, that’s what I would do.  Because I have to tell you, if your responses keep going in the direction they seem to be headed right now, this thread will be closing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkwSjagNGXc

I wish you all the best.

Bob

Signature 

Bob Heruska
Past Master
Columbian Lodge
Boston, MA

Member of the York Rite, Scottish Rite, and the Mystic Shrine.

Posted: 26 September 2017 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-09-10

High Bob,

The forum activity [of this thread] is casual research guided by my interest and [a]musement, involving my humor [but not internally dishonest] - granted, my playfulness might appropriately <smirk> include something of a bitch-slap [if that is the demeanor of situation] - but rest assured, I know that I am a different variant of animal (human ape) than the folk here. 

I’ve been saving this thread’s pages for my record (I expected a significant possibility that the thread might be deleted or my account blocked at some point). Moving forward, I suppose you could delete or lock the thread, or just let it fizzle out. I’ve mostly been responding out of curiosity and no small amount of intrigue [and humor and interest and playfulness]. {It is a large, long-standing Institution, I imagine much could be learned - including what not to do and what doesn’t work (I hope that doesn’t seem like an overly harsh reality, or, worse to the extreme, a blasphemy)}.

Or the conversation could continue…

Posted: 26 September 2017 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

Quibbling. Mmm.  Not really no; you were the one saying that Freemasonry “has a significant impact” - I was pointing out that to fulfil your supposition our membership would have to be significantly larger (in the world context) than it is.

And I think you’ve amply answered my question about your presence here; this side of the pond we have a name for it, but I won’t be stooping that low to bother using it or indulging you further; I’ve better things to do with my time.

Signature 

Richard
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 26 September 2017 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-09-10
Richard George - 26 September 2017 02:45 PM

Quibbling. Mmm.  Not really no; you were the one saying that Freemasonry “has a significant impact” - I was pointing out that to fulfil your supposition our membership would have to be significantly larger (in the world context) than it is.

And I think you’ve amply answered my question about your presence here; this side of the pond we have a name for it - troll.  I’ll pay you the same attention I would to any other Troll - that is to say nothing - so don’t bother to reply as I won’t actually see it.

How do you not interpret this as the craft of a (deleted by Admin) <smirk> (Was he baiting me?) Either way, it’s bad craft. -[sorry]

Posted: 26 September 2017 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

Oh dear; you really think you’re getting to me? I can assure you I’ve been called a lot worse in my youth.  Childish.

Signature 

Richard
UGLE.

Posted: 26 September 2017 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-18

And here I went and deleted it. Sorry!

Signature 

Bob Heruska
Past Master
Columbian Lodge
Boston, MA

Posted: 26 September 2017 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-09-10

Technical difficulties?  :-/

Posted: 26 September 2017 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-09-10

<smirk>

Posted: 26 September 2017 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

Don’t worry Bob; the insults I heard at school were significantly more inventive than anything this guy has come up with.

Signature 

Richard
UGLE.

Posted: 26 September 2017 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-18

Interesting response to my post.  You know, it’s funny, due to some time constraints the last couple of years I mostly just monitor what’s going on in the Forum.  But I’ve been doing this for a while, so from where I sit, I think there is something more there with you than casual interest. (Richard will probably PM me that I’m wasting my time, and he’s usually right, but perhaps I’m just an eternal optimist.) But some of the best and most giving Masons I have met in my life started out with an intellectual curiosity that bordered on irritating. (That curiosity could, however, never be blasphemous, at least to Freemasonry, as we are not a religion.)  In any event, I would be more interested in your thoughts on my last post, and specifically, the Ben Franklin video.  And of course if you prefer to quote arguably the Sorbonne’s most eminent philosopher by just saying, “Soppy,” I won’t be offended. 

By the way in many parts of America Freemasonry is not only thriving but growing.  While the age range is still wide, it is getting progressively younger as forums like this are getting more and more attention. There are not many forums out there with 200,000 plus members.

B

Signature 

Bob Heruska
Past Master
Columbian Lodge
Boston, MA

Posted: 26 September 2017 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1460
Joined  2010-11-01

I would venture a guess that Hanzer is not really interested in anything we have to say.  If he is saving the pages, there is obviously some ulterior motive for it.  I encourage the members to remember their 1st degree and act accordingly.

Signature 

W:.Paul Hulseapple
Master St. Georges Lodge #6
Schenectady, NY
Feliciana Lodge #31
St. Francisville, LA

32°AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
Scribe

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S.

3 of 5

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3593 seconds.