Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

1 of 5
Required belief in a Supreme Being
Posted: 19 September 2017 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2017-09-10

This page <http://www.grandlodge-nc.org/the-grand-lodge> says: “...are expressed outwardly through service to God, family, country, and self under the Fatherhood of God within…”

Given the effectiveness of the Age of Enlightenment and the Scientific Revolution, is it still necessary to outwardly placate and pander to the “God” myths? Inwardly, is the Supreme Being view meant to reflect or resonate with the individual person’s psychic architecture?

Posted: 19 September 2017 10:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2013-03-20

We require a belief in the Supreme Being to whom you are accountable as without that belief, a man is only accountable to himself and could go against his promises when it served him.

I would suggest you research the beliefs of many great scientists such as Einstein and Richard Feynman. They believed in both the scientific method and the Supreme Being.

Signature 

John Ruggiero
Master, Ancient York Lodge AF&AM;, Lowell, MA, USA

“God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much.” - Mother Teresa

Posted: 20 September 2017 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  239
Joined  2012-10-25

I would echo what Brother John said. As a Brother Mason, I must be able to trust you to keep your promises. It is no secret. We are not a secret society, we are a society with secrets. How am I to believe that you will keep our secrets? A man who believes in a higher power, be it Jesus, Mohammad, Mother Earth or any other deity, will have a belief that if they break their promise, there will be consequences, both earthly and spiritually. What consequences does an atheist incur if they break their promise? The answer would be none. Then tell us how we are to trust you to keep the promises you make to us and our lodge? You might be a fine man, a moral man, but without belief in a supreme being, we cannot trust you to keep your word or our secrets.

Signature 

Forte est vinum fortior est rex fortiores sunt mulieres super omnia vincit veritas
(Wine is Strong, the King is Stronger, Women are Strongest: but Truth Conquers All)

Barry Goen
Boyleston Lodge 123 AFM
Balentine SC

Columbia Chapter No. 5
Royal Arch Masons
Columbia, SC

Union Council No. 5
Royal and Select Masters
Columbia, SC

Columbia Commandry No. 2
Knights Templars
Columbia, SC

Posted: 20 September 2017 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-09-10
BrotherJohn - 19 September 2017 10:37 PM

We require a belief in the Supreme Being to whom you are accountable as without that belief, a man is only accountable to himself and could go against his promises when it served him.

I’m not here to challenge the Supremacy of anyone or their related beliefs, but rather, might I suggest that extortion maybe isn’t an optimal foundation for the development of a conscientious person? I suspect, for many people it is possible that they routinely engage broad considerations in their decisions and include many factors related to the health, hygiene, and happiness of self, other, and environment in their analysis and optimization of plans and actions. I imagine this can be expressed and experienced at the Feelings level, under the aegis of Truth, Beauty, and Goodness without compromising one’s capacity for either internal honesty or objective/social rationality. The people who are capable of this level of developmental sophistication could potentially be hampered or damaged or even mutilated by the more brutish methods of training and social organization that insult the development of a Noble person, IMO.

Posted: 20 September 2017 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  971
Joined  2011-03-20

So in view of this http://www.masonforum.com/viewthread/64/ which I feel sure you have read prior to posting could you tell me why you feel drawn to membership of Freemasonry?

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 20 September 2017 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-09-10

Generally, I imagine Master Masons as being people who necessarily are interested in discussing Architectural issues.

For the most part, I am fishing rather than petitioning.

Posted: 20 September 2017 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2013-03-20
hanzer - 20 September 2017 03:58 PM

Generally, I imagine Master Masons as being people who necessarily are interested in discussing Architectural issues.

Nope. We are far more interested in self improvement and helping each other. We are a Fraternity, not a trade union or a school.

Your question was answered twice now yet you continue to argue that you are right and we are wrong. That’s OK,  you are entitled to your opinion just as we are entitled to ours. We, as Masons, submit to a set of rules that were passed down to us from our ancient brothers called the Ancient Landmarks. They are documented in the Regis Document that dates to 1459. These rules include the requirement of belief in the Supreme Being.  If you cannot submit to these rules you simply cannot be a Mason and that’s OK,  too. It isn’t for everyone,  just those who are duly qualified according to our rules.

Signature 

John Ruggiero
Master, Ancient York Lodge AF&AM;, Lowell, MA, USA

“God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much.” - Mother Teresa

Posted: 20 September 2017 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-09-10
BrotherJohn - 20 September 2017 04:12 PM

Generally, I imagine Master Masons as being people who necessarily are interested in discussing Architectural issues. [snip]

[snip] We are a Fraternity, not a trade union or a school. [snip]

:) Okay.

Posted: 20 September 2017 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2015-11-25

Honestly, if you dont believe in God in some way, you’d probably be pretty disapointed in the Masonic experience.

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed-02-20-17
Raised-06-10-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

Posted: 20 September 2017 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-09-10

Will the real Slim Shady please stand up. <cringe> Sorry for that reference. Contact data is in the “hanzer” profile.

Posted: 21 September 2017 03:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-03-20

Then you would be confusing the original “Operative” Masons (the ancient medieval builders) from whom the Fraternity of Free and Accepted Masons (aka Freemasons) are descended. Freemasons utilise the tools and stories of those trades within an Initiatic and moralistic system that has been around for about 4 centuries so far.

I had my suspicions! :) Bearing in mind the link I shared with you, you’re probably in the wrong place for that.

Signature 

Mike Martin

Posted: 21 September 2017 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-09-10

Using components and aspects of the tradition as a metaphor doesn’t seem to be that unusual (outside of this thread).

Posted: 21 September 2017 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-03-20
hanzer - 21 September 2017 10:14 AM

Using components and aspects of the tradition as a metaphor doesn’t seem to be that unusual (outside of this thread).

There is absolutely no need to PM me links about metaphors, this is an open discussion! Although you should understand that Freemasonry is allegorical not metaphorical and they are different things.

Signature 

Mike Martin

Posted: 21 September 2017 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-09-10

My goal isn’t to get your goat, “Master Mason”.

Posted: 21 September 2017 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-03-20
hanzer - 21 September 2017 10:59 AM

I suppose that about sums it up really!

Signature 

Mike Martin

Posted: 22 September 2017 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1463
Joined  2010-11-01
hanzer - 21 September 2017 10:59 AM

Then what IS your goal?

Signature 

W:.Paul Hulseapple
W:. Master St. Georges Lodge #6
Schenectady, NY
Feliciana Lodge #31
St. Francisville, LA

32┬░AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
E:. High Priest

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S.

1 of 5

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.6165 seconds.