Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Why do we start a perambulation with our Left Foot?
Posted: 30 August 2017 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2015-11-20

Why do we start the perambulation with our left foot. I have been asking this question for quite sometime but never got or found any answer.

In Hindu culture, when we enter a Temple we always step of with our right foot so I am not sure if there are any religious significance to this?

Signature 

The Learner…

Craft Lodge United Services No. 58; Royal Arch Chapter Mahadevan No. 52; Mark and Royal Ark Mariners Lodge Tech City No. 111; Conclave Unanimity No. 6

Posted: 30 August 2017 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4046
Joined  2007-09-27

I’m not sure of an actual answer, but the following paper puts forth some interesting theories:

https://sites.google.com/site/pittmacorg/foot-forward

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 31 August 2017 02:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2015-11-20

Thank you very much Dan-O, the paper was very helpful. I learned something new today.

Signature 

The Learner…

Craft Lodge United Services No. 58; Royal Arch Chapter Mahadevan No. 52; Mark and Royal Ark Mariners Lodge Tech City No. 111; Conclave Unanimity No. 6

Posted: 31 August 2017 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2014-03-28

BE Jones’ Freemasons’ Guide and Compendium says the following:

If there is any symbolism implied in the Candidate’s starting off ‘with the left foot,’ it has now been forgotten, and it can only be supposed that the request to the candidate is nothing more than an attempt to ensure that he and his guide proceed in step. But this is a matter in which we might easily be wrong, for the custom might have been derived from folklore. James Grant, in his Mysteries of all Nations, states that “it is thought lucky to step out with the left foot first.”

There is always the possibility that the custom of starting off with the left foot was introduced in the military lodges of the eighteenth century. Bearing in mind that a right-handed man, in particular a soldier carrying arms at his left side, naturally tends to start off with the left foot, as otherwise he might lose balance, it is easy to see that what originally was a matter of drill might quite naturally have become a ceremonial detail in purely military lodges, which, from their migratory habits and their strongly ‘Antient’ sympathies, are known to have exerted marked influence on masonic ritual and custom from their institution in Ireland in 1732 and England in 1750 right on through the 1700s…

Perhaps it is worth while recalling, however, the extremely ancient superstition (based probably on an earliest religious idea) that a person entering another man’s house on his left foot took ill luck in with him, and the apparent contradiction of this when the masonic Candidate, who is undoubtedly crossing the threshold of a mystic building, starts his perambulation in the lodge on his left foot…  It may be conjectured as to whether the intention of instructing the Candidate to start with the left foot was that he should step over and not on the threshold of the symbolic lodge.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 04 September 2017 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2015-11-09

Brother Dan-O, that was a fantastic find with that paper, thanks!!
I think Lark may be on to it. I know that most modern militaries march starting with their left foot. Even though, many times, they call it out “by the right!!” The “right” merely indicates where the cadence caller is located though.
This may be a masonic mystery never to be solved. But, there was some fantastic reading about it!

Signature 

Petitioned September 2015
Ballotted November 2015
Initiated January 11, 2016
Passed February 8, 2016
Raised May 9, 2016

Caleb Butler Lodge.

Posted: 06 September 2017 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2014-08-22

I agree that it could be linked to the military custom of always stepping off on the left foot.

Signature 

St. Matthews Lodge 906, Louisville,Kentucky.
Suburban Lodge 740, Louisville,Kentucky
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
Knights of St. Andrew, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter # 5, Royal Arch Masons
Louisville Council # 4, Royal and Select Masters
Louisville-DeMolay Commandery #12, Knights Templar

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3954 seconds.