Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Initiated last night
Posted: 27 July 2017 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2017-06-07

Well after months of waiting and wondering what it would all be like, I was initiated last night into Evergreen Lodge #259 in California. The waiting in the foyer of the lodge building was surreal as I knew that inside the lodge itself were dozens of men gathered there just for me.

I was led into the room of preparation, and was able to exchange a few jokes and smiles with the men who were to lead me into the lodge. Being led through the lodge with a hoodwink on was definitely an experience that I feel heightened my other senses as I heard the other men going about their work.

It was quite an experience when the hoodwink was removed and I found myself among my new brothers. After the ritual had concluded we had refreshments in the dining hall and speeches were made from past masters and the current Worshipful Master. I was presented with a lapel pin of an entered apprentice and jokingly asked to read from the materials handed to me (which were of course in code).

I’m wondering about the apron as I was given one to use but not one of my own. I will ask my coach about this.

Overall it was an amazing experience and one I will never forget! Now to study for my next degree!

Signature 

Brother James Norwood
Evergreen Lodge #259 - Riverside, CA

Initiated: July 26, 2017

Posted: 27 July 2017 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  444
Joined  2014-03-28

Welcome to the Craft, Brother.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 27 July 2017 08:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2341
Joined  2011-01-20

Welcome. The working tools of an Entered Apprentice will serve you well in all that life sends you. learn their lessons well, brother.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 27 July 2017 10:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  510
Joined  2012-01-30

Welcome to the fraternity!  For me the the first degree is the greatest.

Signature 

DeWayne
MM, RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF, Athelstan

I’m living in the DC area now.

There is no Gospel According to St. Youtube.

Posted: 28 July 2017 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4055
Joined  2007-09-27

Welcome to the craft!

Yes, definitely ask about the apron.  I don’t know how it works in CA, but in case you are interested…in MA, EAs are given a white leather apron which they use for their degrees.  They don’t ever use it again after their degrees though, and are instructed to keep it in a safe place so that when the brother passes away, the family and lodge may put it in his coffin with him if they wish.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 28 July 2017 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  279
Joined  2013-04-04

Congratulations on your entrance into our ancient and honorable fraternity. Enjoy the journey.

Signature 

Bro.Ed Pickett Jr.
Worshipful Master 2017
La Belle Vallee Lodge No 232 F&AM;
Jersey Shore, Pa.
Initiated 1-14-13, Passed 2-11-13, Raised 3-11-13

Master of First Veil 2017
Lafayette RAC No. 163
Lock Haven, Pa.
Mark Master 1-16-14,Most Excellent Master 2-20-14, Royal Arch Mason 3-20-14

Posted: 02 August 2017 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  239
Joined  2012-10-25

Here in South Carolina, my lodge presents the apron to the brother once he has been raised as a Master Mason. Of course, the presenting of aprons to the newly made brothers is a tradition my lodge does. From my understanding, some lodges do not present aprons. Your lodge presented a lapel pin. My lodge does not present anything to EA’s or FC’s. I hope this helps.

Signature 

Forte est vinum fortior est rex fortiores sunt mulieres super omnia vincit veritas
(Wine is Strong, the King is Stronger, Women are Strongest: but Truth Conquers All)

Barry Goen
Boyleston Lodge 123 AFM
Balentine SC

Columbia Chapter No. 5
Royal Arch Masons
Columbia, SC

Union Council No. 5
Royal and Select Masters
Columbia, SC

Columbia Commandry No. 2
Knights Templars
Columbia, SC

Posted: 06 August 2017 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2014-10-16

Congrats brother and welcome to the Fraternity! I think all Lodges are different. Our lodge here in Ohio also present the apron after a candidate has been raised to MM degree. We present lapel pins in each degree depending on the Worshipful Master. I advise you to watch each degree from the sidelines. It will help you learn as you go through each degree. Take it all in and enjoy the experience!

Signature 

Bro. Dave Johnson, 32°
AASR,Valley of Dayton

Lima,Oh Lodge #205 F&AM;
Junior Deacon

Initiated 1-5-2015
Passed 3-16-2015
Raised 5-13-2015
1st EA Chg 03-20-2017

Posted: 06 August 2017 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2015-11-09

Congrats Brother!!!
As others have mentioned, your state may do it differently. I am assuming you have been assigned an instructor for your studies? Best to ask him.
As stated previously, here in MA we are given our white leather apron upon the EA degree. It is encouraged to put it in a safe place once you are raised, but I know some brothers who wear theirs to lodge (not when they travel, but in our home lodge).
A couple words of advice, as I am only a year into it:
Travel. If you can, go to other lodges and witness the degree you just did. I did this several times for each degree. It helps cement the lessons.
Ask. Ask questions. Ask about other appendent bodies. Ask about officer positions. Ask about how to be a better man, how to be a better mason.
Dont feel pressured. Dont do anything you dont WANT to do. I would suggest taking a full year once you are raised, and just experience the blue lodge. If you dont want to become an officer right out of the gate, dont. Its a lifelong learning experience. Take your time with it.
Lastly, you will meet brothers EVERYWHERE. Random strangers on the street will introduce themselves. Enjoy it.

Signature 

Petitioned September 2015
Ballotted November 2015
Initiated January 11, 2016
Passed February 8, 2016
Raised May 9, 2016

Caleb Butler Lodge.

Posted: 06 September 2017 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2014-08-22

Congratulations Brother! Very happy for you!

Signature 

St. Matthews Lodge 906, Louisville,Kentucky.
Suburban Lodge 740, Louisville,Kentucky
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
Knights of St. Andrew, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter # 5, Royal Arch Masons
Louisville Council # 4, Royal and Select Masters
Louisville-DeMolay Commandery #12, Knights Templar

‹‹ Hello All      UGLE- Universities Scheme ››

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4188 seconds.