Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

2 of 2
Hello All
Posted: 15 August 2017 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2341
Joined  2011-01-20

Well done, brother. Perhaps our paths will cross some day and we can greet each other as brothers.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 16 August 2017 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2017-05-15
Brother John - 15 August 2017 09:20 PM

Well done, brother. Perhaps our paths will cross some day and we can greet each other as brothers.

You never know. Boston is one of a few places I haven’t been to (aside from a layover in Logan, but that doesn’t count.) For sure I will reach out if I ever find myself in Mass.

Signature 

Petitioned: April 6, 2017
Initiated: June 5, 2017
Passed: July 24, 2017
Raised: November 13, 2017
Hiram Lodge #50 F&AM;, Madison WI

Posted: 09 September 2017 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2014-08-22

Let us know when you are raised to MM.

Signature 

St. Matthews Lodge 906, Louisville,Kentucky.
Suburban Lodge 740, Louisville,Kentucky
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
Knights of St. Andrew, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter # 5, Royal Arch Masons
Louisville Council # 4, Royal and Select Masters
Louisville-DeMolay Commandery #12, Knights Templar

Posted: 19 October 2017 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-05-15

So this past Monday I had my FC examination since we had a new guy become an EA and went through his FC. It was at his FC ritual that myself and another brother went through our examination to proceed to our 3rd Degree. We both passed and are now going to get raised. His Raising will be at the next stated meeting, mine will be almost a month from now. (My Lodge wants to give all the folks their time, and since my fellow FC started a bit before me, it was only right he gets raised first.) My date, therefore is November 13th and I’m truly excited. I got a Tungsten ring that has the square and compasses (looks nice…almost like a wedding band.) [No worries…it is just sitting on my shelf in its box until the big day…I only put it on in the comfort of my home just to see if it fit…it was ok.]

Once I get raised, I guess I’ll update my lodge information and such. But I really am excited! I waited twenty+ years…another couple of weeks won’t kill me. :)

On another note, I was asked if I would take one of the appointed positions once I get MM, I said sure. I figured by the time I receive my MBA (about 2 years), I should have been fully participated in Lodge and maybe even be in one of the appendant bodies…almost positive I will do Scottish Rite first, but York calls to me. But I want to see how Lodge is first before I consider that (that I got from reading here.)

Signature 

Posted: 23 October 2017 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2341
Joined  2011-01-20
AlwaysLearning - 19 October 2017 08:03 PM

So this past Monday I had my FC examination since we had a new guy become an EA and went through his FC. It was at his FC ritual that myself and another brother went through our examination to proceed to our 3rd Degree. We both passed and are now going to get raised. His Raising will be at the next stated meeting, mine will be almost a month from now. (My Lodge wants to give all the folks their time, and since my fellow FC started a bit before me, it was only right he gets raised first.) My date, therefore is November 13th and I’m truly excited. I got a Tungsten ring that has the square and compasses (looks nice…almost like a wedding band.) [No worries…it is just sitting on my shelf in its box until the big day…I only put it on in the comfort of my home just to see if it fit…it was ok.]

Once I get raised, I guess I’ll update my lodge information and such. But I really am excited! I waited twenty+ years…another couple of weeks won’t kill me. :)

On another note, I was asked if I would take one of the appointed positions once I get MM, I said sure. I figured by the time I receive my MBA (about 2 years), I should have been fully participated in Lodge and maybe even be in one of the appendant bodies…almost positive I will do Scottish Rite first, but York calls to me. But I want to see how Lodge is first before I consider that (that I got from reading here.)

Congratulations on your progress.

As master of my lodge, I always make it clear what I’m asking when I ask a brother to take on an appointed position.

First, you need to make it to every meeting if at all possible and notify the Master in plenty of time to replace you if you can’t make it. Every chair is important to the smooth operation of the lodge and even the lowest ranking Officers are very important to the meetings.

Second, and by far more importantly, you are not being asked to be a low-ranking officer, you are being asked to join a leadership training program that will lead you to become the Worshipful Master of your lodge in a few short years. You will be expected to memorize over 300,000 words of Ritual and perform the duties of each office to the best of your abilities. As you progress, you will be given more and more responsibility and your brothers will become more dependent upon your willingness to serve. The higher you go, the more of a servant you must become. This is not something to take lightly. Make this decision prayerfully and carefully.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 24 October 2017 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-05-15
Brother John - 23 October 2017 10:51 AM

As master of my lodge, I always make it clear what I’m asking when I ask a brother to take on an appointed position.

First, you need to make it to every meeting if at all possible and notify the Master in plenty of time to replace you if you can’t make it. Every chair is important to the smooth operation of the lodge and even the lowest ranking Officers are very important to the meetings.

Second, and by far more importantly, you are not being asked to be a low-ranking officer, you are being asked to join a leadership training program that will lead you to become the Worshipful Master of your lodge in a few short years. You will be expected to memorize over 300,000 words of Ritual and perform the duties of each office to the best of your abilities. As you progress, you will be given more and more responsibility and your brothers will become more dependent upon your willingness to serve. The higher you go, the more of a servant you must become. This is not something to take lightly. Make this decision prayerfully and carefully.

I have a personal rule…if I am paying money to any organization, I am going to participate on some level. My minimum level was always going to meetings. In my [college] Fraternity, if I was paying dues, I went to meetings…I held three offices, (highest Vice President) and participated, without knowing what it was called, in “Servant Leadership” [In essence, I would never ask someone to do something I would not do myself.] I don’t have a problem going to meetings twice a month and I believe once a month during the summer. There might be times I may have to travel, but barring any emergency, I would give proper notice.

I believe my Fraternity helped prepare me for whatever leadership duties I will be presented by the Brethren. Between that, and seeing how I can apply my leadership training to the world outside of Lodge, I think, me personally, I would welcome the duties and challenges that are to come, Brother John. I have seen folks that want to do stuff for the title, and there are folks that want to do stuff because they legitimately want to, altruistically, do stuff, title or not. I was always more of the latter.

Signature 

Posted: 24 October 2017 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2013-03-20
AlwaysLearning - 24 October 2017 12:28 PM

I have a personal rule…if I am paying money to any organization, I am going to participate on some level. My minimum level was always going to meetings. In my [college] Fraternity, if I was paying dues, I went to meetings…I held three offices, (highest Vice President) and participated, without knowing what it was called, in “Servant Leadership” [In essence, I would never ask someone to do something I would not do myself.] I don’t have a problem going to meetings twice a month and I believe once a month during the summer. There might be times I may have to travel, but barring any emergency, I would give proper notice.

I believe my Fraternity helped prepare me for whatever leadership duties I will be presented by the Brethren. Between that, and seeing how I can apply my leadership training to the world outside of Lodge, I think, me personally, I would welcome the duties and challenges that are to come, Brother John. I have seen folks that want to do stuff for the title, and there are folks that want to do stuff because they legitimately want to, altruistically, do stuff, title or not. I was always more of the latter.

Where’s that darned “like” button? You will do well in the Fraternity.

Signature 

John Ruggiero
Master, Ancient York Lodge AF&AM;, Lowell, MA, USA

“God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much.” - Mother Teresa

Posted: 24 October 2017 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  279
Joined  2013-04-04
AlwaysLearning - 19 October 2017 08:03 PM

Very well stated Brother John. As Worshipful Master of my lodge, I concur and judging from AlwaysLearning’s posts I think he will make a fine addition to his lodge.

Signature 

Bro.Ed Pickett Jr.
Worshipful Master 2017
La Belle Vallee Lodge No 232 F&AM;
Jersey Shore, Pa.
Initiated 1-14-13, Passed 2-11-13, Raised 3-11-13

Master of First Veil 2017
Lafayette RAC No. 163
Lock Haven, Pa.
Mark Master 1-16-14,Most Excellent Master 2-20-14, Royal Arch Mason 3-20-14

Posted: 14 November 2017 03:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-05-15

Brethren (and all), I have now been raised to the Sublime Degree of Master Mason! As promised, my signature has been updated with my lodge information and my profile has my real name and such.

Without ruining anyone’s experience, nor divulging anything about the degree (modes of recognition or even ritual…) I will say that it was a fun degree (both for the candidate and the Brethren.) There is a lot of knowledge and there are periods that are interesting. However, with my degree, there was certainly no BS. I can say that this is the degree that I liked because I felt the Masonic tradition. But speaking from the heart to my lodge afterwards had to be my favorite part. My brothers welcomed me when, in all honesty, I didn’t think they would. My jurisdiction does have a six month residency requirement (which in all honesty tends to get waived depending on circumstances…) But I went through my postings, and I still have go through one more in order to get elected to office one day or join an appendant body (Scottish Rite/York Rite/Shriners) But I really want to participate in lodge, go through learning and seeking more light…I had a cool discussion about Assassin’s Creed (folks really like that game…myself included.)

In any event, looking forward to participating in Lodge events, meetings, functions, etc. as well as visiting other lodges in my jurisdiction (especially for degree work…)

Now that I am a Master Mason, I really plan on continuing learning here as well as participating in lively discussion and answering questions.

Much Regards To All,

Bro. Cruz

Signature 

2 of 2

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 1.1228 seconds.