Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

I want to become a Freemason.
Posted: 26 May 2017 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2017-05-23

Hello I want to know one thing specifically before I join and I plan on joining once I am done with my education. Do you all practice spirituality like meditation and metaphysics like mediumship?

I want to become a better person and do a lot charity work before I leave this world.

Posted: 26 May 2017 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  430
Joined  2014-03-28

Short answer, no. Individual Masons may be interested in such, but meditation and ‘mediumship’ (to be honest, I had to look that up) have no part in Freemasonry. Sorry.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 27 May 2017 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2014-08-22
Lark - 26 May 2017 10:05 PM

Short answer, no. Individual Masons may be interested in such, but meditation and ‘mediumship’ (to be honest, I had to look that up) have no part in Freemasonry. Sorry.

What he said. The things that you describe are individual pursuits.

Signature 

St. Matthews Lodge 906, Louisville,Kentucky.
Suburban Lodge 740, Louisville,Kentucky
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
Knights of St. Andrew, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter # 5, Royal Arch Masons
Louisville Council # 4, Royal and Select Masters
Louisville-DeMolay Commandery #12, Knights Templar

Posted: 28 May 2017 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1448
Joined  2010-11-01
1smartalec - 26 May 2017 09:25 PM

Hello I want to know one thing specifically before I join and I plan on joining once I am done with my education. Do you all practice spirituality like meditation and metaphysics like mediumship?

I want to become a better person and do a lot charity work before I leave this world.

As a group or as part of our regular meetings no.  Those topics MAY come up as part of a discussion depending on the lodge and what their program is for the evening but it is not practiced in lodge.  There is a spiritual aspect to the fraternity, but it is for the individual Mason to decide what that means to him.

Signature 

W:. Bro. Paul Hulseapple
St. Georges Lodge #6
Worshipful Master for the 2016-17 A.D 6016-17 A.L. year

32°AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
Scribe

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S.
Schenectady NY

Posted: 30 May 2017 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  371
Joined  2012-03-05

I’m going to address this part of your post because others have already (correctly) answered your question about spirituality.

Freemasonry will help you become a better person and it teaches the importance of charity and may provide opportunities for charitable fundraising and community service, but it should be stressed that it is not a self-improvement program, nor is it a charity or service organization.

Freemasonry is a fraternity. It is, first and foremost, a social organization.

Yes we get together and perform acts of charity. But if that is your primary motivation, a Masonic lodge might not provide what you were looking for.

Signature 

Dave

Master-Elect, Garden City Lodge A.F. & A.M., Newtonville, MA—Entered: 4/12/01; Passed: 5/10/01; Raised: 6/14/01
Treasurer, Boston University Lodge A.F. & A.M, Boston, MA
Mount Lebanon Lodge A.F. & A.M., Boston, MA
Boston-Lafayette Lodge of Perfection, Scottish Rite Valley of Boston
Aleppo Shrine, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Wilmington, MA

Posted: 02 June 2017 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-03-28
DB32 - 30 May 2017 03:08 PM

...it should be stressed that it is not a self-improvement program, nor is it a charity or service organization.

Freemasonry is a fraternity. It is, first and foremost, a social organization.

I must respectfully disagree.

The classic definition of the Craft is, “Freemasonry is a beautiful system of morality, veiled in allegory and illustrated by symbols.”

From your own Grand Lodge site: “Being a Mason is about a father helping his son make better decisions; a business leader striving to bring morality to the workplace; a thoughtful man learning to work through tough issues in his life.”  Morality is clearly central. 

And again, “Freemasonry, sometimes just called Masonry, is the world’s oldest and largest Fraternity. It aims to promote Friendship, Morality, and Brotherly Love among its members — men from every race, religion, opinion, and background — who are brought together as Brothers to develop and strengthen the bonds of friendship. There are more than 3 million members meeting in nearly every free country in the world. Freemasonry proposes to “make good men better” by teaching — with metaphors taken from geometry and architecture — about building values based on great universal truths. And of course, charity and community service is fundamental to Freemasonry and something we actively take part in.”  Friendship, yes, but again morality is at the heart.

It is very true that each man can gain different things from Freemasonry. Some are fascinated by the ritual, some become interested in Masonic history, some in the charity and benevolence aspects. And the chance to keep company with like-minded men cannot be overvalued. But all those things can be found elsewhere. Freemasonry is singular, to my mind, in that it embraces all those things, but always built on the foundation of morality. Without that, Freemasonry would be nothing more than any of the hundreds of fraternal organizations which have appeared and disappeared over the centuries. The moral effects of Masonry are subtle and take a long time to work, but they are central.

My two kopeks.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 02 June 2017 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4036
Joined  2007-09-27

I think the intention of Brother Brown’s post was to point out that we aren’t a charity group.  The main purpose of our brotherhood is to rally around that system of morality in a fraternal brotherhood, and to enjoy those bonds.

I agree that we are more than just a social fraternity, but also agree that if someone is merely looking for charity work opportunities, Freemasonry may not be for them.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Senior Deacon, Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 03 June 2017 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-03-28

I may have been mistaken. If so, my apologies. We are certainly not, first and foremost, a charitable institution.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 05 June 2017 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-03-05
Dan-O - 02 June 2017 07:10 PM

I think the intention of Brother Brown’s post was to point out that we aren’t a charity group.  The main purpose of our brotherhood is to rally around that system of morality in a fraternal brotherhood, and to enjoy those bonds.

I agree that we are more than just a social fraternity, but also agree that if someone is merely looking for charity work opportunities, Freemasonry may not be for them.

Yes that’s it, thank you.

Signature 

Dave

Master-Elect, Garden City Lodge A.F. & A.M., Newtonville, MA—Entered: 4/12/01; Passed: 5/10/01; Raised: 6/14/01
Aleppo Shrine, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Wilmington, MA

Posted: 05 June 2017 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-03-05
Lark - 03 June 2017 11:57 AM

I may have been mistaken. If so, my apologies. We are certainly not, first and foremost, a charitable institution.

It’s cool. But yeah…what Dan said.

Signature 

Dave

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3803 seconds.