Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

2 of 2
Question regarding the Widows Sons MRA
Posted: 26 May 2017 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  373
Joined  2012-03-05
Brother Joseph - 11 May 2017 03:12 PM

Thanks, but I never relinquish my God given right to question anything and everything, even as a Mason.

I understand that none of this ramble has anything to do with the intended function of this forum so for that reason I will let it go.

I just thought it was interesting conversation that I am qualified to speak on; being a Mason and a biker.

Thank you, I’m glad I’m not the only one concerned by the suggestion that blind obedience is expected of us. I wouldn’t be a Mason if I thought that was true.

Signature 

Dave

Worshipful Master, Garden City Lodge A.F. & A.M., Newtonville, MA—Entered: 4/12/01; Passed: 5/10/01; Raised: 6/14/01
Treasurer, Boston University Lodge A.F. & A.M, Boston, MA
Mount Lebanon Lodge A.F. & A.M., Boston, MA
Boston-Lafayette Lodge of Perfection, Scottish Rite Valley of Boston
Aleppo Shrine, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Wilmington, MA

Posted: 26 May 2017 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2338
Joined  2011-01-20
DB32 - 26 May 2017 12:18 PM
Brother Joseph - 11 May 2017 03:12 PM

Thanks, but I never relinquish my God given right to question anything and everything, even as a Mason.

I understand that none of this ramble has anything to do with the intended function of this forum so for that reason I will let it go.

I just thought it was interesting conversation that I am qualified to speak on; being a Mason and a biker.

Thank you, I’m glad I’m not the only one concerned by the suggestion that blind obedience is expected of us. I wouldn’t be a Mason if I thought that was true.

The edict in question does not require blind obedience. It requires men to make a choice between being a Massachusetts Mason or being a member of the Widow’s Sons. We are all free to make that choice. You are more than welcome to ask the Grand Master anything you like, he is your brother after all.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 26 June 2017 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2015-11-09

Not to resurrect an older thread I started, but I am reading the winter 2016/2017 Trowel, and came across this (paraphrased for brevity):
“At the BoD meeting, discussion was held regarding MCs. The following was decided:
GLMA will NOT (my emphasis) prohibit Masonic MCs from participating in their respective activities in MA, unless there is SOME SPECIFIC RULING OR EDICT prohibiting such body or members acting in an unmasonic manner which MIGHT subject them to disciplinary action. The substance of this policy is to allow Masonic motorcycle organizations to exist, without formal recognition, unless that organization is excluded by specific ruling or edict”.

Now, here is the initial discussion:
““It is the Grand Master’s responsibility to protect and uphold the principles and prerogatives of the fraternity. Any club, association, or group that requires membership in the fraternity as a pre-requisite falls under the authority of the Grand Lodge.
“In 1931, at the March Quarterly Communication, M.W. Herbert W. Dean put it best when he said “the attitude of this Grand Lodge towards {clubs} has… been one of neutrality, as long as their {actions do} not intrude upon {the principles and} prerogatives {of our} Fraternity, or {that} their conduct in any way bring discredit to {the Fraternity.}”
“The time has now come when it is necessary to protect our fraternity’s principles and prerogatives. Recent activities in connection with the Widows Sons Masonic Riders Association have underscored a divergence between the practices of their association and the principles and prerogatives of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.
“By its own rules, the Widows Sons Masonic Riders Association permits no Chapter to be formed in a Masonic jurisdiction without the consent of its local Grand Lodge. The Widows Sons Massachusetts Grand Chapter never requested or received the permission of the Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts to operate in this jurisdiction.
“Therefore, it is my edict that no member of the Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts be a member of any Chapter of the Widows Sons Masonic Riders Association. Failure to comply with this edict shall subject the offending member to the disciplinary action of suspension or expulsion.””

I am not entirely sure what to make of this. It seems that they are trying to allow for masonic riding clubs, and only excluding the WSMRA due to the edict. And, it also seems, at least to me, that this edict can be rectified, by simple asking permission from the GLMA.
One could also read the BoD discussion as one of now allowing the WSMRA to exist as unrecognized provided no FURTHER edict restricts them.
Anyway, I thought this quote in the Trowel was worth posting here. It seems that the GLMA is more tolerant about it now.
Again, I dont know why the decision was made. I have read on other sites that the patch was inappropriate (the old one with the woman), which I can completely understand. The new one is a masonic symbol (a stylized pyramid with wings), and I have to wonder if that, at least in part, played a role in the initial decision.
Either way, it was interesting to see that quote. And it looks like the GL is more tolerant of these MRAs, so long as they keep their noses clean.

Signature 

Petitioned September 2015
Ballotted November 2015
Initiated January 11, 2016
Passed February 8, 2016
Raised May 9, 2016

Caleb Butler Lodge.

Posted: 14 July 2017 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2015-11-25

Thanks for the clarification.

I find it very hard to to prove / view / accuse the entire chapter / organization of unMasonic conduct and thereby all members guilty by association.

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed-02-20-17
Raised-06-10-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

2 of 2

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3163 seconds.