Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Spiritual Experience involving an Appearing/disappearing Square And Compass. Need help.
Posted: 02 May 2017 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2017-04-19

Hey guys! I joined this site to seek clarification for an experience I had while I was in jail 6 years ago following an arrest I did not know I had been taken in for. I will probably spare the details for the sake of getting to the main point.  First, I have never been affiliated with masonry, nor do I know of any relatives. I found out about your organization a few years after starting college. It wasn’t until October of 2010 that I began considering petitioning, so contrary to the belief of many people I’ve spoken with about the preceding matter, including my therapist, that I’m about to disclose, I don’t consider what happened a sign of infatuation. All I had done was shown interest by asking a member. However, right after my 3 day “incarceration”, I was diagnosed with Bipolar. While in jail, I was mentally out of it already,due to me fasting for the first time a week before, but I remember the significant events that transpired. One of which was the appearance of the square and compass, etched ruggedly into the small double paned window that was covered by a green veil. It was as if someone carved it with a sharp object. But there was no time for a human to do that without me seeing it happen. I didn’t see it as it was forming, but only after it was already there. This was all while I was walking around in circles when I stopped midway through a revolution around the solitarily confined room I was in. Upon seeing it, immediately, I hit it with my hand, walked around once more, looked at the window again, and it was gone. I’m clueless. Another incident in the same room happened later, but this involved a certain glowing light that entered into the room slowly from behind the wall, where the wall meets the ceiling. It hovered over my head for about 35-45 seconds and slowing exited the way it came in. I don’t know if this was God, an angel, or the devil transforming as an angel of light. I couldn’t make this up, and the experience was very real. I’m not sure if this is the right forum, but I’m hoping that this website is the place to gain clarification. Upon speaking to a member and close friend, I was told that my questions would be answered if I joined. He was so sure of this, but I’m not sure if I’m supposed to be a member. I’ve researched a lot in the six years, with the majority of info cautioning men not to join because of this or that. But I’ll always be stuck not knowing why my experiences happened unless I seek real honest men. If someone could please assist me with the discovery of why and what I’m supposed to do now because of the events, I’d be very appreciative as well as relieved. I just want my life back or the life I’m supposed to have. Thanks for reading!

Posted: 03 May 2017 01:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2016-11-06

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Let me start off by saying that while Masons share common principles and beliefs, there is still much diversity amongst us in terms of varying opinions on many different things. This is one of those things. The experience you describe, whether it was a dream, vision, hallucination, etc. is something I would be prayerful about to learn its meaning and/or interpretation.

The square and compasses are well known Masonic symbols, but each Mason may interpret the symbols differently. That’s why it wouldn’t do much good for me to tell you what I think they represent, or why they are connected to your experience—there isn’t just one or even a few interpretations for symbols—there are many. That’s part of the beauty of symbols—there isn’t one definitive meaning. As we learn, symbols make take on new meaning or interpretation.

While your friend seems well intentioned, I respecttfully disagree with his comment to you about joining and having your questions answered. Joining will not suddenly make you privy to the answers to life’s greatest questions. For me, it enhanced and strengthened my existing beliefs. I wouldn’t want to impose on you my own interpretation of your experience—it’s yours and yours alone to discover. If your search brings you to Masonry, we’d be glad to answer all that we can, but it seems like you may be searching for something else. I commend you for reaching out to us for answers, but none of us can tell you if Freemasonry is for you—you must come to that conclusion on your own.

Signature 

P. Cassidy

Initiated: 11/5/16
Passed: 12/28/16
Raised:  1/25/17

St George Lodge #33

Posted: 03 May 2017 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4054
Joined  2007-09-27

What you saw was almost certainly a hallucination, as things don’t just appear and disappear on windows (except for condensation).

When there are chemical imbalances in the mind, very strange things can happen that SEEM real to you at the time, but are nonetheless merely results of internal illness.  I’m not diagnosing you with anything in particular, just want you to understand that what happened in your mind has absolutely nothing to do with our Fraternity.

We don’t make visions appear, we don’t “call to people” through our symbols, and we would not be able to tell you what your experience meant any more than we could tell you why you suddenly think of a cat or a car.  I would hate for you to go through the process of attempting to join and still not find answers to such questions because there are none to be had, with regard to your experience, within our fraternity.  Sometimes people see things that aren’t there, and when they do, medication and therapy is often the solution.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 03 May 2017 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-04-19
Squared - 03 May 2017 01:56 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Let me start off by saying that while Masons share common principles and beliefs, there is still much diversity amongst us in terms of varying opinions on many different things. This is one of those things. The experience you describe, whether it was a dream, vision, hallucination, etc. is something I would be prayerful about to learn its meaning and/or interpretation.

I agree, but just to let you know I have been praying about this since my relationship with God has gotten better.  In fact, that’s the best thing about this whole experience - my relationship getting better.  But still, He hasn’t revealed to me why it happened or how to handle moving on, so I just can’t shake the memory.

The square and compasses are well known Masonic symbols, but each Mason may interpret the symbols differently. That’s why it wouldn’t do much good for me to tell you what I think they represent, or why they are connected to your experience—there isn’t just one or even a few interpretations for symbols—there are many. That’s part of the beauty of symbols—there isn’t one definitive meaning. As we learn, symbols make take on new meaning or interpretation.

In that case, I dare not pick your brain on that

While your friend seems well intentioned, I respecttfully disagree with his comment to you about joining and having your questions answered. Joining will not suddenly make you privy to the answers to life’s greatest questions. For me, it enhanced and strengthened my existing beliefs. I wouldn’t want to impose on you my own interpretation of your experience—it’s yours and yours alone to discover. If your search brings you to Masonry, we’d be glad to answer all that we can, but it seems like you may be searching for something else. I commend you for reaching out to us for answers, but none of us can tell you if Freemasonry is for you—you must come to that conclusion on your own.

Thanks for your feedback it was greatly appreciated.  I hope I do come to a conclusion.  I really believe there were people involved that were around me who were up to no good because of my positive influence on the students around me. Because of that I can’t trust a lot of people these days. But I hope to be released from this mindset by the Holy Spirit.  Thank you once again!

Posted: 03 May 2017 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-04-19
Dan-O - 03 May 2017 08:06 AM

What you saw was almost certainly a hallucination, as things don’t just appear and disappear on windows (except for condensation).

When there are chemical imbalances in the mind, very strange things can happen that SEEM real to you at the time, but are nonetheless merely results of internal illness.  I’m not diagnosing you with anything in particular, just want you to understand that what happened in your mind has absolutely nothing to do with our Fraternity.

That’s interesting, and though it may sound like I’m in denial about my illness, I must also note that a lot of occurrences took place the night before that I didn’t talk about in my post.  I just hope above all else that I wasn’t hallucinating. But after hearing sentiments like yours from the doctors and therapists over the years, I understand your point clearly.

We don’t make visions appear, we don’t “call to people” through our symbols, and we would not be able to tell you what your experience meant any more than we could tell you why you suddenly think of a cat or a car.  I would hate for you to go through the process of attempting to join and still not find answers to such questions because there are none to be had, with regard to your experience, within our fraternity.  Sometimes people see things that aren’t there, and when they do, medication and therapy is often the solution.

I didn’t vocalize it as such, but that’s definitely how it felt - “a call”.  But from who, I never imagined it to be a human.  I’ve given credit to God a few times, but pertaining to it being a call or a warning I don’t know.  So, I believe as long as we call them hallucinations in this generation, we will never know what they were called in Bible days.  I’ve heard that some people thought Jesus to be Bipolar, before ever believing the Father spoke to and through Him. 

This doesn’t mean that I’m trying to see myself as a special person, but then again, having the mind of Christ might be a better way to view it, IF His mind can work the way mine was in jail.  In my case, I wasn’t spiritually prepared to undergo this experience, but thankfully I haven’t had any since 2015. I just ask that you guys pray for me while I’m on this journey that seems to lead nowhere, or parts unknown. But I believe something great has come of this experience, and is going to continue to come from this. It’s part of my testimony. I have completely given myself to my gospel music songwriting career as well as looking to graduate this fall with my BA in Music Performance. I welcome any further dialogue about this, unless you all feel there’s no point. Thanks for your help!!!

Posted: 04 May 2017 02:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2016-11-06

I’m open to the idea that perhaps this was a spiritual thing, but given the history you’ve provided I’m leaning more towards this being a drug-induced side affect of bipolar medication. If it was happening regularly and then it stopped, could it be because of a medication change? Also, jail is an extremely stressful atmosphere, so the likelihood of having an episode such as this is much higher, especially if you were isolated.

All I can offer is encouragement for you to continue to seek answers, be patient, and don’t be too hard on yourself. Much more could be said about this, but to stay true to the goals of this forum, the dialogue from here on out needs to pertain to Masonic things.

Signature 

P. Cassidy

Initiated: 11/5/16
Passed: 12/28/16
Raised:  1/25/17

St George Lodge #33

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3800 seconds.