Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

1 of 2
About Morals and Dogma - Albert Pike
Posted: 25 April 2017 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2016-10-06

Hello

I started reading Morals and Dogma by Albert Pike.

Before joining Freemasonry, I believed that all masons know about this book. I found out that this is not true (At least in the British Freemasonry). Most brethren I asked about it never heard about it.

In my Masonic knowledge, where and how should I place the content of this book? Maybe it’s not even relevant to Freemasonry at all despite its reputation.

Any enlightenment would be more than welcome.

Posted: 25 April 2017 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  444
Joined  2014-03-28

Just my opinion…

Morals and Dogma can certainly be called influential, at least in the sense that hundreds of thousands of Masons, particularly in the USA, have read it (or at least parts of it). It is however by no means universal, nor mandatory, nor required reading, nor did Pike ever control anything but one small bit of the Craft, nor is M&D a central document in Freemasonry. Pike was an amazing scholar, but so much of M&D is so ponderous as to be uninteligible to all but the most serious Masonic scholar,

Read it, by all means, but remember that it is just one man’s spiritual journey, no more and no less valid than anyone else’s.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 25 April 2017 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2015-11-25

I’ve found a lot of similar misconceptions of outsiders towards their opinions and allegations of Freemasonry.

They claim all Masons hold Albert Pike as well as M&D in as the highest authority in Freemasonry. It just isnt true. But that doesnt stop them from saying it over and over.

They claim Masons are obsessed with the number 33. So they always find a way to connect anything that equals 33 in the most random way to be an obvious sign of Masonic control. Masons arent obsessed with the number 33, actually anti-Mason conspiracists are the ones obsessed. But it doesnt stop them from repeating their claims.

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed-02-20-17
Raised-06-10-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

Posted: 25 April 2017 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2016-11-06

It doesn’t surprise me that Masons in the UK are not as familiar with Morals and Dogma. Pike, it seems, is one of those American figures whose name can’t be separated from Freemasonry. He was incredibly bright and I’m sure there’s wisdom you’ll find in the book, but it’s not authoritative by any means.

Signature 

P. Cassidy

Initiated: 11/5/16
Passed: 12/28/16
Raised:  1/25/17

St George Lodge #33

Posted: 26 April 2017 02:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1257
Joined  2011-11-10

Just be aware that the full title is “Morals and Dogma of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry” and and that it’s really only applicable (if that’s the right word…) to the Southern Jurisdiction (Scottish Rite) of the US. It bears no real relation to Craft masonry - especially in the EC - which is why very few have heard of it - let alone read it (I haven’t).

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 26 April 2017 02:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2013-12-02

The Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite include as well the Craft Degrees, but agreements between supreme councils and Grand Lodges stated that craft degrees be only conferred in Blue Lodges.

Anyway, concerning Morals and Dogma, Pikes spiritual journey may be influential to some, and on the contrary to others, but the esoteric analysis in the material Pike presents is surely something very interesting and surely changed my understanding of the degrees on the personal level.

Good Luck!

Signature 

Nour Al Ayyash

Lodge Trinity #1846 / Founding Member / J.W
Lodge King Hiram #1351/ Secretary
(Under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge Of Scotland)

Lebanon
District Grand Director Of Music

Tripoly Chapter # 773 for the Holy Royal Arch

32° AASR S.J .Valley Of Washington (DC)

March on. Do not tarry. To go forward is to move toward perfection.
“Khalil Gibran”

Posted: 26 April 2017 03:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10
Nour.A.A - 26 April 2017 02:55 AM

The Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite include as well the Craft Degrees, but agreements between supreme councils and Grand Lodges stated that craft degrees be only conferred in Blue Lodges.

I don’t dispute that.

Signature 

Richard
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 26 April 2017 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  964
Joined  2011-03-20

Just for accuracy this is because the Craft degrees existed for many decades before the inception of the AASR and its French predecessor (see: https://scottishrite.org/about/history/ )

Anyway, concerning Morals and Dogma, Pikes spiritual journey may be influential to some, and on the contrary to others, but the esoteric analysis in the material Pike presents is surely something very interesting and surely changed my understanding of the degrees on the personal level.

Regarding the book itself you can read a review I did of it some years ago (having gone to the bother of buying it from America to read it) here: http://forum.thefreemason.com/Topic8963.aspx

It is particularly important to be aware of the preface which states that Pike actually copied around half of the content from other authors but as it was a book for private distribution he didn’t need to worry about plagiarism.

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 26 April 2017 07:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2016-10-06

Thank you Brethren!

So when I read the first 3 degrees in Morals and Dogma, it’s the sense the Scottish Rite give them?

This link doesn’t work:

http://forum.thefreemason.com/Topic8963.aspx

It redirects to the main page only.

Posted: 26 April 2017 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2013-12-02

Just for accuracy this is because the Craft degrees existed for many decades before the inception of the AASR and its French predecessor (see: https://scottishrite.org/about/history/ )

Sure it did, what i meant is that the system includes the first 3 degrees as well :)

Signature 

Nour Al Ayyash

Lodge Trinity #1846 / Founding Member / J.W
Lodge King Hiram #1351/ Secretary
(Under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge Of Scotland)

Lebanon
District Grand Director Of Music

Tripoly Chapter # 773 for the Holy Royal Arch

32° AASR S.J .Valley Of Washington (DC)

March on. Do not tarry. To go forward is to move toward perfection.
“Khalil Gibran”

Posted: 26 April 2017 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-03-20
mystic-tie - 26 April 2017 07:38 AM

So when I read the first 3 degrees in Morals and Dogma, it’s the sense the Scottish Rite give them?

It is the sense that \Albert Pike gave them interspersed with information from various non-Masonic philosophies spread across history.

This link doesn’t work:

Ah sorry, yes you’re quite right, the Masonic books section is restricted to members only.

Signature 

Mike Martin

Posted: 26 April 2017 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

You can get it for free on the kindle.

Signature 

Richard
UGLE.

Posted: 26 April 2017 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-03-20
Richard George - 26 April 2017 09:57 AM

You can get it for free on the kindle.

Ha ha, not back in 1990 you couldn’t :)

Signature 

Mike Martin

Posted: 26 April 2017 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-03-20

This link doesn’t work:

Here you go you can read the Preface at least here: http://www.sacred-texts.com/mas/md/md01.htm

Signature 

Mike Martin

Posted: 26 April 2017 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  444
Joined  2014-03-28

An open source: http://www.gutenberg.org

No less of a tome there than it is on paper, but it’s available.

Edit: For some reason, the direct link to the specific book won’t work but you can go to Gutenberg.org and search it (right under the word FREE).

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 30 April 2017 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  251
Joined  2014-06-15

However, in Louisiana there are Scottish Rite based craft lodges that use the Scottish Rite degrees to confer 1 - 3.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Warden - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

1 of 2

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.5095 seconds.