Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Need some advice. Assist the OES or join Knights Templar?
Posted: 31 March 2017 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2014-12-23

At a recent district meeting, we were informed that OES chapters in our jurisdiction were in desperate need of more participation from the Brothers. Some chapters only have 1 Mason participating.

I would really like to help but our Chapter happens to meet on the same night as Knights Templar (which I was hoping to join next January). Now I truly believe that we should support our OES Chapters. I will help out anyway that I can (fundraisers, charity events, etc.)but I’m not really looking to hold a title. I’m concerned that with so few Masons participating, that they may be looking for Patrons. We have Associate and Worthy Patrons that are both Past Worthy Patrons. As the SD of my lodge (my tenure will be over in November), I don’t want to hold any additional titles at this time. I just want to contribute, do my part and go home ( I know that probably sounds bad).

My heart is with both but I can only participate in one. Would it be selfish of me to join Knights Templar next January when our Stars need help now?

Signature 

Initiated 2/19/15
Passed 4/16/15
Raised 5/21/15

Posted: 31 March 2017 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  503
Joined  2012-01-30

It is your Masonic journey.  Join what you want.  A saying I’ve adopted that is not popular is:  If blank was worth joining people would.

Signature 

DeWayne
Kensington-Bethesda Lodge No. 198 - Senior Warden
RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF, Athelstan

I’m living in the DC area now.

There is no Gospel According to St. Youtube.

Posted: 31 March 2017 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2331
Joined  2011-01-20

Both are great organizations.  Perhaps the OES group is unaware of the conflict. They could change their meeting night.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 01 April 2017 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2014-08-22
goomba - 31 March 2017 10:44 PM

It is your Masonic journey.  Join what you want.  A saying I’ve adopted that is not popular is:  If blank was worth joining people would.

Brother Goomba makes good points. It IS your Masonic journey. Only you can decide. It seems that you really want to join the KT. You will just have to look at everything and follow your head and heart. I’m a little prejudice as I belong to the KT and love it.

Signature 

St. Matthews Lodge 906, Louisville,Kentucky.
Suburban Lodge 740, Louisville,Kentucky
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
Knights of St. Andrew, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter # 5, Royal Arch Masons
Louisville Council # 4, Royal and Select Masters
Louisville-DeMolay Commandery #12, Knights Templar

Posted: 01 April 2017 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  249
Joined  2014-06-15

Do you have a significant other that would be joining OES with you? Is so then that might be the way to go. However, a lot of the Commanderies also have a Beauceant (http://www.knightstemplar.org/soob/) order attached which allows the wives of sir Knights to join.

As others have said, it is your journey. You go/do whichever is truly calling to you.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Warden - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 02 April 2017 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2014-08-22
Bro DHoward - 01 April 2017 07:16 PM

Do you have a significant other that would be joining OES with you? Is so then that might be the way to go. However, a lot of the Commanderies also have a Beauceant (http://www.knightstemplar.org/soob/) order attached which allows the wives of sir Knights to join.

As others have said, it is your journey. You go/do whichever is truly calling to you.

Thank you for the information on the Supreme Assembly. I was not aware of this.

Signature 

St. Matthews Lodge 906, Louisville,Kentucky.
Suburban Lodge 740, Louisville,Kentucky
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
Knights of St. Andrew, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter # 5, Royal Arch Masons
Louisville Council # 4, Royal and Select Masters
Louisville-DeMolay Commandery #12, Knights Templar

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3806 seconds.