Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Question about the progression of the degrees
Posted: 31 March 2017 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2017-03-13

Hello I have what I’m afraid is a stupid question but I haven’t been able to answer it myself through reading of books or the internet so I’ll ask here. The only fraternal organization I ever belonged to was the BSA so I was wondering if in masonry like the Boy Scouts you start and the base rank Scout / mason first and work to the degrees through the completion of study and work or if you start out strait as a first degree entered apprentice ?

Posted: 31 March 2017 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  82
Joined  2014-08-22

You start by being initiated into the first degree, Entered Apprentice. You are then passed to the second degree, Fellow Craft. You are then raised to the third degree, Master Mason.

Signature 

St. Matthews Lodge 906, Louisville,Kentucky.
Suburban Lodge 740, Louisville,Kentucky
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
Knights of St. Andrew, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter # 5, Royal Arch Masons
Louisville Council # 4, Royal and Select Masters
Louisville-DeMolay Commandery #12, Knights Templar

Posted: 31 March 2017 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  246
Joined  2014-06-15

And to add to what Warrior1256 has already stated…
You do not have to do projects or community work as you do in Boy Scouts to advance. But you will be expected to study and learn a lesson or exam before progressing to the next level. The method and amount of material learned varies by jurisdiction.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Deacon - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 31 March 2017 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-03-13

Thank you both for clarification.

Posted: 01 April 2017 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1448
Joined  2010-11-01
Sideshowthomas - 31 March 2017 11:04 AM

Hello I have what I’m afraid is a stupid question but I haven’t been able to answer it myself through reading of books or the internet so I’ll ask here. The only fraternal organization I ever belonged to was the BSA so I was wondering if in masonry like the Boy Scouts you start and the base rank Scout / mason first and work to the degrees through the completion of study and work or if you start out strait as a first degree entered apprentice ?

That is a good question.  There are three degrees in Masonry.  Regardless of what you may have read elsewhere, there are ONLY three.  In the general sense, you are initiated and become and Entered Apprentice first.  As an Entered Apprentice, you have work to do.  This work is explained to you and you learn what it is that you need to learn.  Outwardly, it is memorization of a few lines and most believe that this is the true measure of proficiency.  Once you satisfactorily prove that you can regurgitate back what you memorized, you take your Fellow Craft degree.  As fellow Craft you take what you learned as an Entered Apprentice and expand on it.  You are given a new piece to memorize and go through the same process.  After you memorize the Fellow Craft piece you take your third degree and are made a Master Mason.

The above is all what is outwardly regarded as progressing.  However; if you do not diligently study and do the work that is alluded to by the degrees and the memorization in them, you do not truly progress.  Freemasonry is not a race to be won, it is a journey meant to be enjoyed.  Yes the progression through the degrees in some lodges may take only a few months, the true level of your progression is never truly complete.  Those that believe they are done with the work, have more to do.

Signature 

W:. Bro. Paul Hulseapple
St. Georges Lodge #6
Worshipful Master for the 2016-17 A.D 6016-17 A.L. year

32┬░AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
Scribe

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S.
Schenectady NY

Posted: 01 April 2017 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2011-03-17

Well said, Brother Paul. We are never truly done with our progression, nor should we want to be.

Signature 

Jay Mathis
Past Master
Tuckerton Lodge # 4 F&AM;
Tuckerton, NJ

Posted: 01 April 2017 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-03-13

Thank you all very much , your answers have been truly helpful.

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.2795 seconds.