Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Chamber of reflection
Posted: 30 March 2017 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2017-03-13

Hello I have been meeting with my local blue lodge ,and I’m going to be petitioning soon .  Before I had decided to petition. I did a lot of reading and came across the chamber of reflection. I’ve always been involved in the study of symbolism and I do meditate regularly so this practice sounded intriguing to me . But from what I see everywhere else online this piece of ritual is missing in the US, is that entirely true or if I continue on to Scottish rite ,which the building I e been going to is Scottish rite might they have the. Chamber ?

Posted: 30 March 2017 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1463
Joined  2010-11-01
Sideshowthomas - 30 March 2017 05:33 PM

Hello I have been meeting with my local blue lodge ,and I’m going to be petitioning soon .  Before I had decided to petition. I did a lot of reading and came across the chamber of reflection. I’ve always been involved in the study of symbolism and I do meditate regularly so this practice sounded intriguing to me . But from what I see everywhere else online this piece of ritual is missing in the US, is that entirely true or if I continue on to Scottish rite ,which the building I e been going to is Scottish rite might they have the. Chamber ?

Some lodges use the Chamber of Reflection, others do not, and some use a modified version thereof.  My lodge, for example, uses a modified version of it for degrees.  We arrange the preparation room in such a way that the candidate does sit by himself to contemplate prior to the degree.  We do not simply put him in there and say wait, we explain what he should do and approximately how long he can expect to wait before he is involved in the ceremony.  He is also told that if something should delay the ceremony, someone will inform him and explain what is going on.  That is how my lodge does it.  We also have an annual remembrance program where we set the lodge up similar to a COR and we have a program that one of our “more seasoned” members developed.  So the real answer to your question is, it depends.

Signature 

W:.Paul Hulseapple
W:. Master St. Georges Lodge #6
Schenectady, NY
Feliciana Lodge #31
St. Francisville, LA

32°AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
E:. High Priest

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S.

Posted: 30 March 2017 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  256
Joined  2014-06-15

Some traditional observant lodges use them, and a few non-TO lodges, but not many. Also, if you join the York Rite you will experience a variant of the Chamber of Reflection.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Warden - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 30 March 2017 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-03-13

Thank you both for your answers

Posted: 31 March 2017 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4058
Joined  2007-09-27

I’m not sure what state you are in, but in MA, the Chamber of Reflection is not widely used in blue lodges.  We do have one in Boston (shown here: https://static01.nyt.com/images/2009/08/21/arts/21anti_500.jpg) that is used for York Rite purposes.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 31 March 2017 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2014-08-22
Bro DHoward - 30 March 2017 07:14 PM

Some traditional observant lodges use them, and a few non-TO lodges, but not many. Also, if you join the York Rite you will experience a variant of the Chamber of Reflection.

Also the AASR SJ.

Signature 

St. Matthews Lodge 906, Louisville,Kentucky.
Suburban Lodge 740, Louisville,Kentucky
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
Knights of St. Andrew, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter # 5, Royal Arch Masons
Louisville Council # 4, Royal and Select Masters
Louisville-DeMolay Commandery #12, Knights Templar

Posted: 31 March 2017 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-03-13

If I am accepted and do become a MM would I be able to visit lodges that do have them?

Posted: 31 March 2017 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4058
Joined  2007-09-27
Sideshowthomas - 31 March 2017 01:32 PM

If I am accepted and do become a MM would I be able to visit lodges that do have them?

As a Master Mason you have the right to travel and visit any lodge that is recognized by your Grand Lodge.  You merely need an up to date dues card and be able to pass an examination to prove you are a Mason.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 31 March 2017 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-03-13

Ok wonderful,thank you.

Posted: 14 April 2017 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  72
Joined  2013-08-19

My suggestion is not to do any research about the degrees because it will spoil it. You will have a much better experience knowing nothing prior to the ceremonies.

Also, as other brethren said, the Chamber of Reflection is not always used, it depends of the ritual used by your Lodge.

Signature 

Member of Grand Lodge of New York.
32º AASR Valley of Washington

Posted: 14 April 2017 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  971
Joined  2011-03-20
Sideshowthomas - 30 March 2017 05:33 PM

Just to correct you a little, it isn’t “missing” as it wasn’t actually a part of the original Freemasonry but something that was added (in France) to the practises of antient Lodges. The French were a great bunch for innovating Freemasonry (during the late 17/ early 1800s), deciding that they didn’t like the original and modifying it to make it “better”.

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 14 April 2017 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-03-13

Thank you for the correction.

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.7974 seconds.