Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Death of a FreeMason ????
Posted: 29 March 2017 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2017-03-28

First, I want to thank everyone for having me here . I have a few questions that I hope can get answered. My father was a FreeMason who passed away this weekend - 82 years old.  His association with the masons was something that was never discussed with our family. When I was little boy I would admire his ring and would ask what the G stood for. He would tell me that it stood for “good” and that I always needed to be good.. I’m sure he was just telling me that to satisfy me but it has always stuck with me and the only thing I ever heard him say concerning the Masons

Anyhow , when the funeral director was asking the family was my father part of any organization to be included in the obit , my mother said yes - the Masons and that he had things that are suppose to be buried with him.  Another family member spoke up and said absolutely not, that they wouldn’t stand for that because the Masons are satanic ... my mother looked at me and I wanted it noted in the obit and to give my father what I know he would have wanted but at that difficult time me and my mother didn’t want to argue the fact . 

So, now I have all of his Mason stuff and I’m not sure what if anything to do with it. I would love to wear his ring but that just doesn’t seem proper to me. I also found his Mason Bible where he has kept cards showing where he has kept current with paying his dues.  So I know he still supported the organization .

Your help would be greatly appreciated and whatever needs to be done with his Masonic stuff I will comply because I have a deep respect for the organization . 

Thank you,

Jerry D

Posted: 29 March 2017 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1261
Joined  2011-11-10

There are two things here;

First, if you are thinking about joining, then keep it for you - I wear my late father’s gear and am honoured to do so.

Second, if you have his dues cards, then it will say which lodge he belonged to - contact them as they can easily make use of regalia .. new members sometimes prefer ‘second-hand’ stuff as it carries some history.

I would say that it’s sad that a family member felt they had a right to dictate what you and your mother can and can’t do regarding your father .. that should have been your decision - not theirs.  If they didn’t like what the two of you decided, then that’s their problem - if it was your late father’s wish to be buried in his apron, then what right did they have to gainsay.  But what’s done is done.  If you decide to join, I suspect that he would be looking down and giving you his full support.

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 29 March 2017 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  256
Joined  2014-06-15

First of all, I am very sorry for your loss. I do hope you and your family are doing well.

You have a few options and all of which are totally up to you.

1. If you are interested in Freemasonry yourself then you can talk to a local lodge and see about joining. Then you can honor your father by wearing his ring and maybe apron if that is one of the things he left behind. If you live close to your dad’s lodge you can maybe approach them. I’m sure they would be glad to meet with you.

2. You can just keep the items for sentimental value for yourself. However, I would caution you about wearing the ring around. In most jurisdictions, only Master Masons are allowed to wear a masonic ring. If you wear it then someone may think that you consider yourself to be a Master Mason. If you really feel obligated to remember your father by wearing the ring then I would consider wearing as a pendant around your neck instead of on your finger.

3. You can donate the items back to your father’s lodge. They may have a historical display for items from past members. And sometimes, if permission is granted, they can pass some of the items along to another member who may not be as financially fortunate.

These are just a few suggestions. I am sure there may be more. But ultimately you do whatever you feel is the best way for you to honor and remember your father.

My condolences,

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Warden - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 29 March 2017 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2016-10-06

I am sorry for your loss. My condolences.

Posted: 29 March 2017 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2014-08-22

First, I am very sorry for your loss.

Second, I can most certainly assure you that there is nothing satanic about Masonry.

Third, if you are considering joining Masonry check into it by contacting a lodge(s) of your choice, getting information this way, and then follow your heart.

Signature 

St. Matthews Lodge 906, Louisville,Kentucky.
Suburban Lodge 740, Louisville,Kentucky
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
Knights of St. Andrew, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter # 5, Royal Arch Masons
Louisville Council # 4, Royal and Select Masters
Louisville-DeMolay Commandery #12, Knights Templar

Posted: 29 March 2017 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2351
Joined  2011-01-20

Sorry for your loss.

Some regalia like your father’s apron is his property. Other items, for example a past master’s jewel, remain the property of the lodge and should be returned to them on his passing. Contact the lodge and they will help you sort through what you have.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 29 March 2017 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-06-15
Brother John - 29 March 2017 04:09 PM

...Other items, for example a past master’s jewel, remain the property of the lodge…

Not arguing with you, exactly. But I would think that depended on whether the lodge gave him the jewel or the man bought it himself. If they gifted it to him then maybe (and even then questionable, in my opinion, on being returned to the lodge), but otherwise I don’t agree.

We don’t give Past Master’s jewels but we do give a PM’s apron.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard

Posted: 29 March 2017 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2016-11-06

My condolences to you and your family. As for the ring, I would keep it if I were you, even if you choose not to join. It was something special to him and would be an heirloom for the coming generations. As you know, wearing the ring would lead others to believe you are a Mason, so I would advise against that.

Signature 

P. Cassidy

Initiated: 11/5/16
Passed: 12/28/16
Raised:  1/25/17

St George Lodge #33

Posted: 29 March 2017 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2016-06-22

Hello - Just extending my condolences to your and your Mother during this time.

Sincerely,

Bro. Hoyo

Signature 

Bro. Manuel Hoyo

Entered: 12/21/2016
Passed: 1/18/2017
Raised: 3/15/2017

Celestial Lodge A.F. & A.M. - Westwood MA
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 29 March 2017 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2012-03-19

sorry for your lost
The day’s labours done
My journey’s end has come.
A new guide, now lead us on.
The path may be the same,
But the style, is his own:
A new post, will soon pass,
Another mark, will be reached.
Let us all pray, he will lead us, 
To an even brighter day.

Signature 

Grant us brotherhood, not only for this day but for all the years a brother not of words but of acts and deeds. -Stephen Vincent Benet

E.A :10-19-12
F.C : 11-24-12
M.M :01/05/13  
JW Plant City Lodge 206 Grand Lodge MWUGL of Florida P
David L Wright Consistory#387 Valley of Plant City Orient of Florida *32
Murat Temple#180 Oasis of Wauchula Desert of Florida

Posted: 29 March 2017 09:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2017-03-28

Thank you all for the condolences and advice, I have learned a lot. I have some things to think about and to consider. Also another question, what does it mean to be a master mason?

Posted: 29 March 2017 10:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-06-15

It means that you have progressed through the three degrees of Freemasonry. When you join you are initiated as an Entered Apprentice (1st Degree), then after some time of study you are passed to Fellow Craft (2nd Degree), and again after a period of study you are “raised” to Master Mason (3rd Degree).

There are only three degrees in Freemasonry. Then after you have reached Master Mason, if you wish, you can join some extra masonic organizations such as the Scottish Rite, York Rite, Shriners, and more. Each one of these organizations have their own system of degrees. They are related to Freemasonry as a continuation of learning, but are not mandatory and do not affect your level/standing in the Craft or regular masonic lodge.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard

Posted: 29 March 2017 10:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2351
Joined  2011-01-20
Bro DHoward - 29 March 2017 04:16 PM
Brother John - 29 March 2017 04:09 PM

...Other items, for example a past master’s jewel, remain the property of the lodge…

Not arguing with you, exactly. But I would think that depended on whether the lodge gave him the jewel or the man bought it himself. If they gifted it to him then maybe (and even then questionable, in my opinion, on being returned to the lodge), but otherwise I don’t agree.

We don’t give Past Master’s jewels but we do give a PM’s apron.

My Past Master’s Jewel is loaned to me by the lodge for the rest of my life. My family knows to return it to the lodge when I affiliate with the Celestial Lodge Above.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 29 March 2017 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2016-11-06

You ask an important question, one that I suspect we’d all answer differently. In many ways it can’t be described, it has to be experienced. Being raised to the sublime degree is an honor that brings both privileges and great responsibility. All I can say is that becoming a MM was one of the greatest moments in my life. It’s meaning, my friend, is personal. In many ways receiving this degree is the beginning of an exciting and enlightening journey. Look to the East!

Signature 

P. Cassidy

Initiated: 11/5/16
Passed: 12/28/16
Raised:  1/25/17

St George Lodge #33

Posted: 14 April 2017 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2015-10-21

Dear Jerry,

Let me start by expressing my deepest condolences; I hope you and the family are doing ok.

As #squarred mentioned above, you might have a different answer for what is a Master Mason.
But to give you an answer which I consider “in line” with what your late dad used to tell you (based on your introduction), being a Master Mason is the “good” he mentioned to you. It is self discipline, sense of responsibility, and a huge wonderful great place for fraternity. You will meet people that will literally stand by you as your Brethren, and together you will all work together on how to become even better.

There is a wonderful song that I like to hear on youtube from time to time (I did not find the album elsewhere to buy it).
Every time I listen to it, I have tears in my eyes reminding me of my late dad, and more and more responsibility on the “Good” attitude that is expected from us as your late dad told you:

Song: The Masonic Ring
by: Howie Damron.

I am posting the link below if it’s acceptable by the rules of this beautiful forum:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oFeKJKoaKc

Regards,
Bro H.

Signature 

Bro H,
Lebanon Lodge #10,
District Grand Lodge of Syria-Lebanon,
Grand Lodge of the State of New York

Cedars Chapter #335,
Grand Chapter State of New York, Royal Arch Mason
—-
“Don’t be just a Tourist, be a Traveler!”

Posted: 17 April 2017 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2016-08-26
JerryD - 29 March 2017 09:35 AM

First, I want to thank everyone for having me here . I have a few questions that I hope can get answered. My father was a FreeMason who passed away this weekend - 82 years old.  His association with the masons was something that was never discussed with our family. When I was little boy I would admire his ring and would ask what the G stood for. He would tell me that it stood for “good” and that I always needed to be good.. I’m sure he was just telling me that to satisfy me but it has always stuck with me and the only thing I ever heard him say concerning the Masons

Like many people all over, me included, we all have those family members who have nothing better to do than to stick their nose in everyone else’s business.  It may be that this is one of the reasons that a lot of family members do not discuss many things about being a Mason (aside from those things we cannot talk about to non-masons)

Anyhow , when the funeral director was asking the family was my father part of any organization to be included in the obit , my mother said yes - the Masons and that he had things that are suppose to be buried with him.  Another family member spoke up and said absolutely not, that they wouldn’t stand for that because the Masons are satanic ... my mother looked at me and I wanted it noted in the obit and to give my father what I know he would have wanted but at that difficult time me and my mother didn’t want to argue the fact . 

This is never an easy situation when it comes to family members who have been given or brought up with incorrect information.  Being who I am, I would have told them to stuff it and buried my father the way my mother and I thought he would have wanted to be buried.

So, now I have all of his Mason stuff and I’m not sure what if anything to do with it. I would love to wear his ring but that just doesn’t seem proper to me. I also found his Mason Bible where he has kept cards showing where he has kept current with paying his dues.  So I know he still supported the organization .

I would like to stop for a moment here, and forgive me if this offends anyone else… 

To me, the wanting of a son or daughter to freely and openly honor and cherish their father.. there is no better telling of a father done right by his kids and family, even if it is done by wearing a piece of jewelry.

Your help would be greatly appreciated and whatever needs to be done with his Masonic stuff I will comply because I have a deep respect for the organization . 

Thank you,

Jerry D

Truly, your loss is saddening.  Not just for the loss of a brother to our fraternity, but more importantly, for the loss of a father to a son and family.

Signature 

Brother Ken

St. John’s 1P, RI
EA 10/19/16
FC 1/18/17
MM 3/15/17
Signed By-Laws 5/17/17

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing ~ Theodore Roosevelt

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.7038 seconds.