Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

2 of 2
21 Questions (Part 2)
Posted: 24 March 2017 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  431
Joined  2014-03-28
Dan-O - 24 March 2017 09:36 AM

I saw a question above about “Travelling Man”.  The original answer didn’t know that phrase, which I find surprising, so it must not be used as widely as I though.  It is a common phrase in my experience, where one Mason may refer to another.  It is a reference to a Masons endeavors in our ritual in Massachusetts.  Although no ritual contains the phrase “travelling man”, a knowledge of the ritual would make the meaning clear in my opinion.

I think that was me. Sorry, but it’s just not a term which I’ve heard used in that context. And, being modestly familiar with the ritual in my jurisdiction, I can see your meaning now, but it’s not in common usage here. But that’s one of the joys of the Craft, don’t you think? It’s like cuisine - lots of different ways to serve the same key ingredients.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 24 March 2017 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4039
Joined  2007-09-27
Lark - 24 March 2017 09:57 AM

I saw a question above about “Travelling Man”.  The original answer didn’t know that phrase, which I find surprising, so it must not be used as widely as I though.  It is a common phrase in my experience, where one Mason may refer to another.  It is a reference to a Masons endeavors in our ritual in Massachusetts.  Although no ritual contains the phrase “travelling man”, a knowledge of the ritual would make the meaning clear in my opinion.

I think that was me. Sorry, but it’s just not a term which I’ve heard used in that context. And, being modestly familiar with the ritual in my jurisdiction, I can see your meaning now, but it’s not in common usage here in that context. But that’s one of the joys of the Craft, don’t you think? It’s like cuisine - lots of different ways to serve the same key ingredients.

Absolutely!

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 24 March 2017 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2016-05-30
Dan-O - 24 March 2017 09:38 AM

I also agree with what some have said here.  I think it is time that you speak to a Mason in person.  Masonry isn’t something you really understand by reading a website.  It is a series of personal relationships.

I just contacted the nearest Lodge. I will continue to follow up on that.

As far for intentions or “trolling”: I’ve been a member of this forum for almost a year - that is a long time to troll, which I’m not. Also, my intentions are sincere and my post was a response from knowing a ‘false-Mason’ for over 5 years and Tip-Toe-ing around the curiosity.

The tipping-point for my inquiry came from the fact that he has been saying the upper age limit to join is 35 years old. And for those who followed that thread: I did confront him on that. He did not say his Lodge and told me he is not going to tell me anything anymore.

What I still find perplexing is the fact this ‘false-Mason’ is a shining example of great character, notwithstanding all the false Mason information he has given me.

His usual answer to questions like, “Why did you join the Masons?” - would be, “Now you are asking too many questions.” So . . . I hope you can see the frustration over the years. And as you may know, the internet is probably more dis-information than information.

Posted: 24 March 2017 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4039
Joined  2007-09-27
Blue2me4you - 24 March 2017 11:58 AM
Dan-O - 24 March 2017 09:38 AM

I also agree with what some have said here.  I think it is time that you speak to a Mason in person.  Masonry isn’t something you really understand by reading a website.  It is a series of personal relationships.

I just contacted the nearest Lodge. I will continue to follow up on that.

As far for intentions or “trolling”: I’ve been a member of this forum for almost a year - that is a long time to troll, which I’m not. Also, my intentions are sincere and my post was a response from knowing a ‘false-Mason’ for over 5 years and Tip-Toe-ing around the curiosity.

The tipping-point for my inquiry came from the fact that he has been saying the upper age limit to join is 35 years old. And for those who followed that thread: I did confront him on that. He did not say his Lodge and told me he is not going to tell me anything anymore.

What I still find perplexing is the fact this ‘false-Mason’ is a shining example of great character, notwithstanding all the false Mason information he has given me.

Some people are more eager to toss around the “troll” label than I am.  :)

His behavior sounds very odd indeed.  It’s one thing to hide that you are a Mason, but quite different to say you are and then not tell what lodge.  That’s just fishy as all heck and I bet my opinion on that is not unique.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 24 March 2017 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  431
Joined  2014-03-28

Interesting.

He may be of stirling character, sir, but in this area, his behaviour and info are not what I would expect of a real Mason.

So you have done the smart thing, talk to real Masons. That’s a good start. What you decide about your friend is up to you.

Cheers.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 24 March 2017 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1246
Joined  2011-11-10

FWIW, it’s not a phrase in common usage over here.

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 24 March 2017 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  232
Joined  2012-10-25

Lodge-vs-Temple

In South Carolina, most lodges are called lodges. From what I understand, the name Temple has fallen out of use because of the misunderstanding that it means we are worshiping some Masonic god. We use the word Lodge so people will understand that we are not a religion. We are a group of men who come together to support each other and our communities.

My lodge does not have Wi-Fi or a telephone connection, for that matter. It is an unnecessary expense that yields very few benefits. Especially since everyone has a cell phone these days.

The term Traveling Man comes from the idea that many of us travel to other lodges to visit. That is one of the benefits of being a Master Mason.

Tattoos are not forbidden to brothers. In fact, I have a large Square and Compass on my right forearm. If anything, it guides me to consider carefully what ink I get on my body. I do not want to get ink that will embarrass my family, God or my brothers.

Signature 

Forte est vinum fortior est rex fortiores sunt mulieres super omnia vincit veritas
(Wine is Strong, the King is Stronger, Women are Strongest: but Truth Conquers All)

Barry Goen
Boyleston Lodge 123 AFM
Balentine SC

Columbia Chapter No. 5
Royal Arch Masons
Columbia, SC

Union Council No. 5
Royal and Select Masters
Columbia, SC

Columbia Commandry No. 2
Knights Templars
Columbia, SC

Posted: 24 March 2017 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2016-05-30
bdgoen - 24 March 2017 03:01 PM

Tattoos are not forbidden to brothers. In fact, I have a large Square and Compass on my right forearm. If anything, it guides me to consider carefully what ink I get on my body.

Oh, this is great to know. For some reason I thought you were not allowed to “brand yourself.”

I once spoke to someone (not my friend) who claimed to be a Mason. He had the Pyramid tattoo on his arm and a large scar running through it. He claimed that he was not supposed to “brand himself,” and ‘they’ grabbed him and threatened to cut his arm off. Very unlikely story.

So, that’s part of where that particular question comes from.

Posted: 02 May 2017 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2015-11-09

I feel like playing along with this:

1) Many times online in the USA, people pretend to a military sniper-shooter, Navy SEAL member, or a 16-year-old girl. Is a “Clandestine Mason” something that people pretend to be more often than not?-When people pretend to be something they are not, they are lacking something in themselves, and tend to glorify that which they dont understand. This has being going on forever. I have yet to meet a “clandestine mason” myself, but have met hundreds of Brothers. So, I would say “not”

2) If you lose your faith in God in the Masons, do you get kicked out or is there a saving-grace period of which your Brothers will help try to bring you back? Losing one’s faith would bring into question a lot of personal decisions in a man’s life, I would think. That is for the individual to decide.

3) I’ve heard Masons go by the name of Travelling Men. How has the internet impacted this concept of travel/migration? Well, for me, it actually makes it easier if I am visiting another jurisdiction. I can check on lodges, meetings, etc, get an email address and/or phone number, and ask my secretary to make the arrangements. I like the convenience of that.

4) What is a Masonic principle regarding Greed? What happens if a member becomes too greedy? Are there levels of greed? Who decides those? What if my interpretation of greed is different than yours? What if I determine that you having 3 cups of coffee each day is being too greedy? Am I right? Are you?

5) Are there any TransGender Masons?I am not qualified to answer this. I have not met any.

6) Are there any Hermaphroditic Masons? I am not qualified to answer this. I have not met any.

7) Is there nothing to fear but fear itself? There is quite a bit to fear. But, in the end, we all die. So, fear, in the grand scheme of things, is largely insignificant.

8) What do you hope or believe happens to you when you die? And has that changed since you joined the Masons? Each man likely believes a little differently. I will not discuss MY personal beliefs here, but I will say that, since joining Freemasonry, my belief have changed, and have influenced me as a man.

9) Do you believe there are things that people would not accept even if they were to be able to comprehend them? Are there some Truths that people are just not able to ‘handle’? Well, we have people who still believe the Earth is flat. So….

10) Has your involvement in the Masons shown you a side of yourself that you did not know before? Yes. Every day.

11) Are tattoos frowned upon? Are there limitations on tattoos (in the USA)? I have them. Many brothers I know have them. So, I would say no. Not in my jurisdiction at least. I cannot speak to any others though.

12) I heard that you are supposed to remove all metal before you do some Masonic stuff, is it an issue if you . . . let’s say, have shrapnel in your body? Is this a serious question? If a surgeon cannot remove schrapnel from the body, do you think a freemason can?

13) Someone replied to my “21 Questions,” that any drug legal or illegal is prohibited. But what if you have your Medical Marijuana Card or live in a state where it is recreational? Also, caffeine is a drug, so where do you draw the line? Marijuana is still a controlled substance. As masons, we stand by the laws of our state, and our country. Prescription meds are of course acceptable. Otherwise, as one ages and inevitably goes on meds, one would be demitted for drug use. Right?

14) I heard somewhere (on the internet of course, ha) that a Mason can be “made on sight.” Is this true? Has it ever really happened? I do recall hearing this happen to a couple of famous people. But, as I recall, they never attended lodge (I may be wrong on that part). Being made a mason on sight takes away all of the teachings. I would think it is akin to an honorary degree. You dont put the work in, so its really not worth anything except to the person it is awarded to.

15) Do you think is it possible or likely that in the future, the globe will have one religion and one language? Or are people destined to be divided? No. Never. We are diverse. For good reason.

16) When celebrities, politicos, or well-known people join the Masons – Is there an etiquette outside of Lodge as far as making contact? They are treated like a Brother. Same as all other Brothers. They arent afforded any special treatment. Several famous people have been brothers-to include presidents-and have asked to be treated just as any other brethren. We meet on the level-for good reason.

17) How are the Masons reacting to the decline in membership because of the Baby-Boomers aging status? To each their own. Membership may be in decline, but, looking at the way the world is now, we need it more than ever. As everything else, there is ebb and flow.

18) What exactly is a “degree”? This was answered already.

19) Is there or why not create an all online Mason experience with physical meetings on the less regular? Why not do Skype Lodge meetings in your underwear? This was attempted several times. Although, personally, for me, lodge meetings are special. I get to break bread with brothers I dont see often, shake hands, tell life stories, etc. That is lost in an online forum atmosphere.

20) Does your lodge have Wi-Fi? Yes

21) If there is one phrase, motto, or advice you have kept through your life, what would it be? Contrary to popular belief, there ARE stupid questions.

Signature 

Petitioned September 2015
Ballotted November 2015
Initiated January 11, 2016
Passed February 8, 2016
Raised May 9, 2016

Caleb Butler Lodge.

2 of 2

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3765 seconds.