Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

1 of 2
21 Questions (Part 2)
Posted: 22 March 2017 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2016-05-30

Part 2 of original post “21 Questions”: http://www.masonforum.com/viewthread/11843/

1) Many times online in the USA, people pretend to a military sniper-shooter, Navy SEAL member, or a 16-year-old girl. Is a “Clandestine Mason” something that people pretend to be more often than not?

2) If you lose your faith in God in the Masons, do you get kicked out or is there a saving-grace period of which your Brothers will help try to bring you back?

3) I’ve heard Masons go by the name of Travelling Men. How has the internet impacted this concept of travel/migration?

4) What is a Masonic principle regarding Greed? What happens if a member becomes too greedy?

5) Are there any TransGender Masons?

6) Are there any Hermaphroditic Masons?

7) Is there nothing to fear but fear itself?

8) What do you hope or believe happens to you when you die? And has that changed since you joined the Masons?

9) Do you believe there are things that people would not accept even if they were to be able to comprehend them? Are there some Truths that people are just not able to ‘handle’?

10) Has your involvement in the Masons shown you a side of yourself that you did not know before?

11) Are tattoos frowned upon? Are there limitations on tattoos (in the USA)?

12) I heard that you are supposed to remove all metal before you do some Masonic stuff, is it an issue if you . . . let’s say, have shrapnel in your body?

13) Someone replied to my “21 Questions,” that any drug legal or illegal is prohibited. But what if you have your Medical Marijuana Card or live in a state where it is recreational? Also, caffeine is a drug, so where do you draw the line?

14) I heard somewhere (on the internet of course, ha) that a Mason can be “made on sight.” Is this true? Has it ever really happened?

15) Do you think is it possible or likely that in the future, the globe will have one religion and one language? Or are people destined to be divided?

16) When celebrities, politicos, or well-known people join the Masons – Is there an etiquette outside of Lodge as far as making contact?

17) How are the Masons reacting to the decline in membership because of the Baby-Boomers aging status?

18) What exactly is a “degree”?

19) Is there or why not create an all online Mason experience with physical meetings on the less regular? Why not do Skype Lodge meetings in your underwear?

20) Does your lodge have Wi-Fi?

21) If there is one phrase, motto, or advice you have kept through your life, what would it be?

Posted: 22 March 2017 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  424
Joined  2014-03-28
Blue2me4you - 22 March 2017 12:51 PM

1) Many times online in the USA, people pretend to a military sniper-shooter, Navy SEAL member, or a 16-year-old girl. Is a “Clandestine Mason” something that people pretend to be more often than not?  I suspect that there are a fair number of people claiming to be Masons to impress others. The term ‘clandestine’ carries a special connotation to us, that of groups pretending to be Masons, holding meetings and such, but with no proper authority. BTW, this links to your previous set of questions - how can a Mason tell? Well, as a vet, how long does it take for you to recognize a hot air artist claiming to be a former Ranger?

2) If you lose your faith in God in the Masons, do you get kicked out or is there a saving-grace period of which your Brothers will help try to bring you back? Once a man has been accepted, religion is never discussed in lodge - even raising the issue is forbidden. It would thus be impossible for anyone else to know unless you yourself mention it. Now, if you do mention it, in my jurisdiction ‘promotion of or adherence to atheism’ is a Masonic offense and could quite possibly get you expelled. No brother will ever ‘try to bring you back’, for that would be a discussion of religion in and of itself.

3) I’ve heard Masons go by the name of Travelling Men. How has the internet impacted this concept of travel/migration?  I myself am unfamiliar with the term.

4) What is a Masonic principle regarding Greed? What happens if a member becomes too greedy? We are expected to treat others fairly and with compassion. Beyond that, I wouldn’t want to speculate on hypotheticals.

5) Are there any TransGender Masons? That question is going to come up and may already have, but not so far as I know in a jurisdiction I am familiar with. We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it, I guess.

6) Are there any Hermaphroditic Masons?  As above

7) Is there nothing to fear but fear itself?  That depends on one’s personal philosophy, I guess.

8) What do you hope or believe happens to you when you die? And has that changed since you joined the Masons?  I myself am a Christian, with the beliefs that religion brings. That is a personal belief and Masonry as a whole has absolutely no position on such questions.

9) Do you believe there are things that people would not accept even if they were to be able to comprehend them? Are there some Truths that people are just not able to ‘handle’?  Interesting question over a pint or three, but not so far as I can see one related to Freemasonry.

10) Has your involvement in the Masons shown you a side of yourself that you did not know before? Yes, absolutely. The effects are subtle and take a long time to take effect. Paradoxically, they are also almost impossible to describe properly, so I will not try.

11) Are tattoos frowned upon? Are there limitations on tattoos (in the USA)? Not so far as I know, but I am not in the USA.

12) I heard that you are supposed to remove all metal before you do some Masonic stuff, is it an issue if you . . . let’s say, have shrapnel in your body?  Shouldn’t be an issue.

13) Someone replied to my “21 Questions,” that any drug legal or illegal is prohibited. But what if you have your Medical Marijuana Card or live in a state where it is recreational? Also, caffeine is a drug, so where do you draw the line? The line comes straight from legality. Caffeine is, last I checked, legal everywhere. What is the legal status of your stash? If it’s legal, then marijuana is not an issue. Again, we don’t spy on fellow Masons, but somebody who got arrested for possession of crack, let’s say, might have some explaining to do in lodge.

14) I heard somewhere (on the internet of course, ha) that a Mason can be “made on sight.” Is this true? Has it ever really happened? Yes, it has happened, but it is very rare and not all places grant that privilege to their grand masters. In essence, the individual goes through all the normal initiation ceremonies, but the grand master waives the normal screening process with interviews, etc.

15) Do you think is it possible or likely that in the future, the globe will have one religion and one language? Or are people destined to be divided? Now that you have asked, I have a personal opinion, but this is something which forms no part of Freemasonry nor would Masonry as a whole have any comment on it.

16) When celebrities, politicos, or well-known people join the Masons – Is there an etiquette outside of Lodge as far as making contact?  No.

17) How are the Masons reacting to the decline in membership because of the Baby-Boomers aging status? Well, my lodge is growing, so it’s hard for me to comment, sorry.

18) What exactly is a “degree”?  Much like a ‘grade’ in school. Every Mason takes the three first degrees - Entered Apprentice, Fellowcraft and Master Mason. Many never go farther. There are some concordant bodies which Master Masons can join, like the Scottish Rite, which have numbered degrees running up to 33, but these are not quite the same thing. A 32nd Degree member of the Scottish Rite has no more authority, privilege or power than a 3rd Degree Master Mason.

19) Is there or why not create an all online Mason experience with physical meetings on the less regular? Why not do Skype Lodge meetings in your underwear?  My jurisdiction does have an internet lodge of research. As to Skype meetings, there are a number of reasons why that wouldn’t be possible.

20) Does your lodge have Wi-Fi?  The building my lodge meets in does, yes. Not all do.

21) If there is one phrase, motto, or advice you have kept through your life, what would it be? ‘Lead, follow or get out of my way.’ I could live with that, I guess.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 22 March 2017 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1448
Joined  2010-11-01

I have to throw this out there because I have seen non-masons act in this way before and it has more often than not, been for not so honorable purposes.  I am not in any way, shape or form implying, inferring or suggesting that you are doing the same.  It is just that your 21+ questions seem to be looking for some particular answer to fit an agenda.  The question about wifi for example, what reason do you have for asking that?  It has nothing at all to do with joining the fraternity.  If it is just out of pure curiosity, that is fine, but I get a feeling there is something more.

Signature 

W:. Bro. Paul Hulseapple
St. Georges Lodge #6
Worshipful Master for the 2016-17 A.D 6016-17 A.L. year

32°AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
Scribe

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S.
Schenectady NY

Posted: 22 March 2017 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-05-30
PDH825 - 22 March 2017 03:33 PM

If it is just out of pure curiosity, that is fine, but I get a feeling there is something more.

Just Curiosity, No Agenda, Because if you read my “Age Limit at 35?” post - I’ve apparently known a false-Mason for a long time and have not gotten one straight answer.

The Wi-Fi was just a fun silly question because the other questions were very thought provoking. It is my understanding that a “Lodge” is not an actual building but a gathering - so, that makes the Wi-Fi question silly, right?

The internet questions are because I often wonder how the internet impact our lives (such as this forum) and how antiquity of Freemasonry adapts with the times. It is fascinating to see something ‘stand against the sands of time.’ I find it curious because I wonder/figure that there are somethings YOU HAVE TO experience in person - so I wonder, if that element will always remain, or will holograms potentially take common place.

I’ve been getting some great feedback and I appreciate the straight forward answers.

Finally friend, I posted the 21 Questions in the “Controversy, Rumor, and Secrecy” section - Which I thought would place the post(s) in the proper forum.

Posted: 22 March 2017 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-03-28

Temple vs Lodge vs Hall. This is a mistake a lot of Masons make, so don’t feel foolish. (Remember what was said about everybody starting off by knowing nothing?)

A Masonic hall or temple (the terms are essentially synonymous) is the building or facility. Strictly speaking (and on this I am a true, card-carrying grammar-Nazi) is the body of Masons. Lodges, in other words, meet in halls or temples.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 22 March 2017 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  246
Joined  2014-06-15
Lark - 22 March 2017 04:40 PM

Temple vs Lodge vs Hall. This is a mistake a lot of Masons make, so don’t feel foolish. (Remember what was said about everybody starting off by knowing nothing?)

A Masonic hall or temple (the terms are essentially synonymous) is the building or facility. Strictly speaking (and on this I am a true, card-carrying grammar-Nazi) is the body of Masons. Lodges, in other words, meet in halls or temples.

And I can say that this question can also be jurisdictional. So I’ll answer as I would for ours…

A lodge is simply a group of men that bond and meet together as masons.
A Masonic Hall is the building in which the group above holds its meetings.
A Masonic Temple is a building where two or more Lodges meet separately, sharing the facilities.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Deacon - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 22 March 2017 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-03-28

Bro Howard, I shall not argue. This is a distinction I have not heard of before. Thank you.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 22 March 2017 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-06-15

1)I have no clue what you are asking. But if you are asking do some men pretend to be masons then I think you already know the answer to that one.

2)I think you need to explain this one a little bit. By “lose your faith” you mean that a man all of a sudden decides that there is no Supreme Being at all, essentially becoming an atheist then yes, if found out he will be expelled. If you mean that the man has a change of heart and decides to follow a different faith/religion then probably no he will not be kicked out as he still believes in a Supreme Being

3)The phrase “traveling man” has a couple of meanings but usually refers to Masons being able to travel among lodges visiting, observing and helping.

4)As long as his greed does not cause him to do anything against the local laws of the land or against the rules of his masonic Jurisdiction then it would be a personal matter of conscious and not subject to masonic discipline.

5)That will probably have to be answered jurisdictionally, but I can tell you that in this jurisdiction that answer would be no.

6)Again, this one would have to be answered per jurisdiction, but usually when someone is born with this condition the family elects one gender of the other and the appropriate surgery and therapies are done. In this case if the person was raised as a man and has male genitalia then yes. But otherwise, in this jurisdiction the answer would be no.

7)Really?

8)That is a faith question and not part of masonic teaching. Afterlife and/or salvation is dependent of personal faith. And no my personal faith has not changed as a result of my journey in Freemasonry.

9)Yes, no, and maybe. That is a question that would have to be asked of every individual

10)It has helped me grow in many ways. My experience as a mentor/instructor and also as a brother listening to other life experiences has helped me in many ways.

11)I guess this would be a local lodge question. In general the answer would be no tattoos are not frowned upon. But you could run across a lodge made up mostly of very conservative members who may look differently at tattoos, especially those of questionable content.

12)If you can remove it easily without injury to yourself then remove it. Otherwise, forget it.

13)No lodge or jurisdiction can make an issue about the use of LEGAL drugs if used in the manner they were prescribed to be used. However, the lodge can stipulate that you cannot attend lodge or a masonic event while under their influence. As for recreational use that would probably fall under the same rules as alcohol.

14)Again, this is jurisdictional. In ours it is not possible. But yes, it is available in some jurisdictions and it has been done. But it is usually reserved for very specific and unusual circumstances.

15)I think this question would depend on your interpretation of your personal faith. My personal opinion would be no. Humans can never truly decide to uniform in anything much less a religion. As for language, again I do not believe there will ever be just one language spoken. However, there may come a day with there is a common language shared between nations.

16)It is the same etiquette as it would be for anyone else. We respect their individual wishes as to their public image. If a man wants his membership to remain secret then so be it.

17)There’s a decline in membership?

18)It’s step in the masonic journey

19)Because we value our privacy and our membership. There would be no way to adequately insure that the person attending was a mason in good standing

20)What kind of question is this? It has nothing to do with Freemasonry. But no.

21)Not a masonic motto or phrase but one related to my faith.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard

Posted: 23 March 2017 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  82
Joined  2014-08-22

Number 5 really intrigues me. It will be very interesting to see what happens when / if this comes up.

Signature 

St. Matthews Lodge 906, Louisville,Kentucky.
Suburban Lodge 740, Louisville,Kentucky
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
Knights of St. Andrew, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter # 5, Royal Arch Masons
Louisville Council # 4, Royal and Select Masters
Louisville-DeMolay Commandery #12, Knights Templar

Posted: 23 March 2017 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2016-11-06

1) I don’t necessarily think people pretend to be clandestine masons “more often than not” but I think there are plenty of imposters who claim to be Masons. Sometimes a person gets involved with a clandestine lodge unbeknownst to them, as in the case of a gentleman recently who posted the thread BOGUS MASONRY.

2) This would depend on the lodge and other various circumstances. To me, this would be serious, but as brothers we’re not looking to expel a brother Mason at the first hint of problems.

3) “Traveling Man” is a phrase we sometimes use to identify if another person is a Mason. It has nothing to do with a literal migration, cyberspace, or the internet.

4) Charity is a principal of Masonry. In my opinion, you will find Masons to be generous and not greedy.

5) Maybe somewhere, I personally do not know any.

6) Same answer to question 5.

7) This is very general, so perhaps I’ll answer it more ambiguously by saying don’t let fear stop you from pursuing a worthy cause.

8) I have my own personal thoughts on this one—you’ll have to seek out the answer for yourself. No, my beliefs have not changed since I became a Mason, in fact, I feel that Masonry has enhanced and strengthened my beliefs. Masons (generally speaking) believe in the immortality of the soul, so I suppose in this context I would also say that death is not the end, however, I don’t speak for my brothers on this one as they may believe differently.

9) I do believe truth can hurt and be uncomfortable, maybe because we can’t comprehend it or because we aren’t willing to accept it. I would rather be conscious of the truth and have to deal with the implications rather than unconscious of the truth and persist in ignorance.

10) Yes, the Craft has taught me more about myself, but more importantly it has helped me to be less selfish and to look to the needs of others.

Signature 

P. Cassidy

Initiated: 11/5/16
Passed: 12/28/16
Raised:  1/25/17

St George Lodge #33

Posted: 23 March 2017 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-05-30

Excellent responses from Lark, PDH825, Bro DHoward, Warrior1256, and Squared so far!

Thank you all for enduring my curiosity and ignorance.

I shall contemplate these responses and do some research/homework.

I hope to return in the not-too-distant future with some more articulate and focused questions.

Posted: 23 March 2017 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-05-30
Squared - 23 March 2017 11:09 AM

Sometimes a person gets involved with a clandestine lodge unbeknownst to them, as in the case of a gentleman recently who posted the thread BOGUS MASONRY.

Yes, I read BOGUS MASONRY post and thread. I am a little embarrassed at my question now. But that’s okay.

Posted: 23 March 2017 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  367
Joined  2012-03-05

I’m sorry but when I see questions like “Is there nothing to fear but fear itself?” I get the distinct impression that we are being trolled by someone who thinks it’s amusing to get a bunch of strangers to waste their time for him.

Signature 

Dave

Senior Warden, Garden City Lodge A.F. & A.M., Newtonville, MA—Entered: 4/12/01; Passed: 5/10/01; Raised: 6/14/01
Treasurer, Boston University Lodge A.F. & A.M, Boston, MA
Mount Lebanon Lodge A.F. & A.M., Boston, MA
Boston-Lafayette Lodge of Perfection, Scottish Rite Valley of Boston
Aleppo Shrine, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Wilmington, MA

Posted: 23 March 2017 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-06-15
Blue2me4you - 23 March 2017 12:32 PM

Excellent responses from Lark, PDH825, Bro DHoward, Warrior1256, and Squared so far!

Thank you all for enduring my curiosity and ignorance.

I shall contemplate these responses and do some research/homework.

I hope to return in the not-too-distant future with some more articulate and focused questions.

I think that if you are that interested in Freemasonry then it is time for you to find a lodge near you and sit down with the guys there then ask your questions. You’ve already asked quite a few questions here and some of those questionable in intent.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard

Posted: 24 March 2017 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4033
Joined  2007-09-27

I saw a question above about “Travelling Man”.  The original answer didn’t know that phrase, which I find surprising, so it must not be used as widely as I though.  It is a common phrase in my experience, where one Mason may refer to another.  It is a reference to a Masons endeavors in our ritual in Massachusetts.  Although no ritual contains the phrase “travelling man”, a knowledge of the ritual would make the meaning clear in my opinion.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Senior Deacon, Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 24 March 2017 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4033
Joined  2007-09-27

I also agree with what some have said here.  I think it is time that you speak to a Mason in person.  Masonry isn’t something you really understand by reading a website.  It is a series of personal relationships.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Senior Deacon, Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

1 of 2

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4419 seconds.