Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

21 Questions
Posted: 22 March 2017 02:09 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2016-05-30

(List Order Randomized Before Post, No Particular Order)

1) How do you find a ‘lodge’ that fits you, if you not know until you join?

2) How do you make room in your head to learn Masonic history, rules, etc?

3) Are homosexuals allowed in the Masons?

4) Are the Eastern Stars basically a female version of the Masons?

5) What is the MOST deplorable Masonic violation?

6) Are the Masons the religion of the New World Order?

7) Why do Masons refer to DMT - N-Dimethyltryptamine, so much?

8) What exactly is this “ritual” you speak of? Some sort choreography?

9) Who exactly disciplines the Masons?

10) Do you lose your Mason membership if you are convicted of a misdemeanor or felony?

11) Are there Masonic wedding ceremonies, like there are for funerals?

12) Is it an insult or compliment to be associated-rumored with “the Illuminati” (mysterious world power)?

13) Can someone just say they are a Mason? Who is really going to stop them?

14) What is an OBVIOUS sight that someone is not a Mason?

15) What are Masons supposed to do when they encounter a false-Mason?

16) Are there active Masons in prison?

17) Is there a “Degree” or “Level” you attain, of which, you start your own Lodge?

18) Do you have to be born into the Masons? If your father or grandfather isn’t a Masons – does that hurt your chances of joining?

19) If you could recommend ONE Masonic book, which would it be?

20) Has anyone LOST their belief in God while in the Masons?

21) Are Masons supposed to “announce” their membership, like in a room with regular people who don’t know anything about the Masons? I thought it was a thing you kept private, unless asked.

Posted: 22 March 2017 04:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2016-10-06

I don’t know everything but I give some questions a try. The answers represent my personal opinion. In no particular order:

7) I heard about the DMT during my chemical engineering studies. Never heard about it in any masonic lodges. As a Mason, you must respect the law, have strict morals and sound judgement. This goes against using drugs (legal or illegal).

14) can’t discuss that

15) He still can be a friend or a colleague but we are not going to have any masonic contact with him. We won’t invite him to our Lodges or talk about masonic affairs with him.

21) Each Freemason is different. Some would keep it private and never talk about it publicly. Other would display their masonic affiliations in their Facebook and talk openly about it. Masons are free to talk about their membership if they want to. The only limitation is not to use it to gain an advantage.

13) Question is unclear

16) Masons are not above the law. While the criminality is extremely low in our assemblies, it’s possible to find a Mason in prison. I don’t know if he can be considered as “active”. The question goes beyond my knowledge.

1) Usually you join because you know a Mason. Typically, if you join, you will go to his lodge. Later you can join more lodges if you like.

2) As any other knowledge :)

3) I don’t know. But what I can tell you is even a heterosexual won’t be welcome in a lodge if he wants to discuss his sexuality there.

10) You don’t lose your membership for a parking fine. Freemasonry accepts only honorable people with good standing in society. I don’t see a bonafide Mason going suddenly into a crimespree. But the theoretical question has its merits. I don’t know the answer.

18) I am a Mason. My father and grand-father weren’t Masons. You join for your own merits.

12) It makes me smile. We are used to hear all sort of things. We don’t feel insulted by these statements. When possible and when people are open to dialogue we try to educate them about what Freemasonry is and what it’s not.

9) Question is not clear

4) We don’t have any masonic contacts with female masons.

5) Can’t tell

6) It’s definitely not a religion. It existed well before this theory/project and will exist well after. Even if I wanted to follow your line of reasoning, if this system has a religion it wouldn’t be the Freemasonry. Can’t elaborate further.

17) Can’t elaborate on this

8) You can see it like this

11) I don’t believe so.

19) Morals and Dogma, Gen. A. Pike.

20) Possibly. Faith goes up and down.

Signature 

FM, United Kingdom
Currently: MM, Steward - Lodge: 8362

Posted: 22 March 2017 05:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  414
Joined  2014-03-28

1) How do you find a ‘lodge’ that fits you, if you not know until you join? By meeting members of the various lodges before you join and seeing how well you get on.

2) How do you make room in your head to learn Masonic history, rules, etc? Like anything else, be it learning a guitar or skiing - practice. The human brain is capable of amazing things.

3) Are homosexuals allowed in the Masons? Difficult to answer as each member in each lodge has a veto on each applicant. There are indeed homosexuals in the Craft, just as in outside society.

4) Are the Eastern Stars basically a female version of the Masons? Not really. That question should really be asked on a Star forum.

5) What is the MOST Masonic violation? Unsure what you mean.

6) Are the Masons the religion of the New World Order? Freemasonry is not a religion and the NWO is a modern boogieman used by the paranoid and the greedy to extract respect and money fron the foolish and the fearful. So no.

7) Why do Masons refer to DMT - N-Dimethyltryptamine, so much? Never heard it mentioned by a Mason in almost 40 years In the Craft. Perhaps you could provide references or links?

8) What exactly is this “ritual” you speak of? Some sort choreography? Essentially, yes. A formalized way of doing something. Look at the opening of a legislature - very stylized. The opening and closing of a Boy Scout meeting follow a ritual.

9) Who exactly disciplines the Masons? On matters Masonic, we discipline ourselves internally. On matters civic (crime and civil lawsuitts), cops and courts, just like anyone else.

10) Do you lose your Mason membership if you are convicted of a misdemeanor or felony? Probably suspended or expelled if it is serious enough.

11) Are there Masonic wedding ceremonies, like there are for funerals? Never heard of such.

12) Is it an insult or compliment to be associated-rumored with “the Illuminati” (mysterious world power)? It is mildly amusing, in a tiresome sort of way.

13) Can someone just say they are a Mason? Who is really going to stop them? In most places, unless fraud is involved, ‘yes’ and ‘nobody’. No Mason will spend any time with them of course.

14) What is an OBVIOUS sight that someone is not a Mason? A bikini.

15) What are Masons supposed to do when they encounter a false-Mason? Generally just ignore them with the contempt they deserve.

16) Are there active Masons in prison? Not that I know of.

17) Is there a “Degree” or “Level” you attain, of which, you start your own Lodge? A rather complicated thing. New lodges can be started, but it takes more than one Mason, it takes a bunch or them. If you are thinking of one guy simply being able to wander around starting lodges, it ain’t happening.

18) Do you have to be born into the Masons? If your father or grandfather isn’t a Masons – does that hurt your chances of joining? Each applicant is judged on his own merits.

19) If you could recommend ONE Masonic book, which would it be? For a non-Mason interested in learning, perhaps Freemasonry for Dummies. Personally, I would strongly advise against Morals and Dogma, which is essentially PhD level.

20) Has anyone LOST their belief in God while in the Masons? Has anybody ever lost their faith while in a bowling league, while working as a lawyer or while cutting his lawn? The answer is, yes, probably, but it would be hard to attribute that loss to any of those things. I myself find the Craft sustaining my faith.

21) Are Masons supposed to “announce” their membership, like in a room with regular people who don’t know anything about the Masons? I thought it was a thing you kept private, unless asked. Never seen a rule saying you have to and I cannot imagine a case where I would want to announce it to a room full of strangers.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 22 March 2017 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  563
Joined  2012-09-18

Are the Eastern Stars basically a female version of the Masons?
Short answer, NO!

For a chapter of OES to even open, a Master Mason must be present.
OES is an organization that was started by a Methodist Minister as a way for the wives/sisters/daughters to have something to do while the men were at Lodge.
It is based on five characters/heroines from the Bible and is one of the overt Christian orders. (meaning that you have to attest to the fact that you believe in the Christ.)

On a personal note, it is something my wife and I are active in and enjoy very much for the fellowship and good works.

Signature 

Past Master, Dryden Lodge #472
Secretary, Caroline Lodge #618
Hudson,Fulton,Dryden Chapter #250 OES
32* A&ASR; Coudersport Pa.
RAM Fidelity #77

Posted: 22 March 2017 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1233
Joined  2011-11-10

Re the ‘ritual’ question. A ritual is just a tried and tested way of doing or learning something. Although you don’t realise it, it’s highly likely you follow a number every day. For example; you get up, and have a shower, and eat breakfast, clean your teeth, get in the car and leave for work. That’s a ritual. It’s something you’ve worked out over time that works for you.. change the order and it no longer works. The things you do to drive a car is a ritual; get it wrong and things about you go wrong.

Our ritual is no different ; it’s a trusted method of conveying information to each new candidate, nothing more.

And number 7. Er what?

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 22 March 2017 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2016-11-06

1) Lodges usually have one meet up a month where you can come and get to know the members. This will help you to get to know the members (and for them to become better acquainted with you too). You won’t know all the ins and outs before you join, you’ll have to move forward despite that uncomfortable realization.

2) As has been wisely noted by a brother previously, we all start off ignorant (to some extent) of Masonic things. Part of the beauty of Masonry is the opportunity to continually learn new things about the Craft. I “make room” for that by acknowledging that I don’t know everything, and am willing to listen to the counsel of my brothers. Also, you do get out of it what you’re willing to put into it. Most candidates enter the Craft knowing something of it’s history, but that’s not a prerequisite. You’ll gain all you need to know about lodge rules, etiquette, etc. after joining.

3) Difficult to say

4) No, the OES is not the female version of Masonry.

5) As far as “deplorable Masonic violations”  -this is subjective and each of us would probably answer differently, however, for me personally, I would think that one of the worst things a Mason could do is to compromise his integrity by violating his obligations.

6) No, we are not the New World Order, but I do get a kick out of conspiracy buffs linking Freemasons to every absurd delusion they come up with.

7) I don’t know what DMT is, it is not part of Masonry.

8) I wouldn’t necessarily call Masonic ritual “choreography” per se, but it is an enduring aspect of the Craft that both enlightens and binds the brotherhood together.

9) Masonic discipline is dealt with internally as within the lodge (generally speaking). We are subject to the laws of the countries we reside in and do not see ourselves as exempt from or above the law.

10) It all depends on the charges and circumstances, as well as the jurisdiction.

Signature 

P. Cassidy

Initiated: 11/5/16
Passed: 12/28/16
Raised:  1/25/17

St George Lodge #33

Posted: 22 March 2017 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-05-30
Lark - 22 March 2017 05:05 AM

19) For a non-Mason interested in learning, perhaps Freemasonry for Dummies. Personally, I would strongly advise against Morals and Dogma, which is essentially PhD level.

Just ordered Morals and Dogma, I think I can handle it. I’ve tried one of those Dummies books before: Self-Esteem for Dummies. Let’s just say, I did not get past the title. Just kidding, it holds my computer monitor up.

Posted: 22 March 2017 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-03-28
Blue2me4you - 22 March 2017 01:14 PM

Just ordered Morals and Dogma, I think I can handle it. I’ve tried one of those Dummies books before: Self-Esteem for Dummies. Let’s just say, I did not get past the title. Just kidding, it holds my computer monitor up.

It is your call, of course, but Morals and Dogma is a seriously ponderous tome, to the level of some German philosophers, and much of it is of bearing to limited audiences only. It has been referred to as the Masonic work which more Masons have not finished than any other ever printed. Keep in mind when you read it that it is just one man’s opinion and reflections; it is not really official or binding on anyone.  As to Freemasonry for Dummies and it’s cousin Complete Idiot’s Guide, they are pretty good introductory reads, giving clear overviews on what Freemasonry is and is not. While not classical references for Masonic scholars, I do think they are excellent for someone seeking some basic info. Again, it’s your call. None of the three will give you any Masonic secrets, if that matters.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 22 March 2017 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-05-30
Lark - 22 March 2017 02:16 PM
Blue2me4you - 22 March 2017 01:14 PM

Just ordered Morals and Dogma, I think I can handle it.

Again, it’s your call. None of the three will give you any Masonic secrets, if that matters.

I’m not interested in secrets maybe because I once heard, “Secrets Secrets are no fun, secrets secrets hurt someone.”

Me personally, I find that Sacred Geometry stuff pretty fascinating.

Posted: 22 March 2017 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-03-28

Like I said, it’s your call. Tell me what you think once you have looked at the book.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 22 March 2017 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2014-06-15

1) You do your due diligence and research before joining. And if you find after joining that the lodge is not a fit then you research others and transfer if need be.

2) Considering that humans only use about 10% of our mental memory capacity I don’t think you will have a problem. But you would do it like you do for anything else new that you want to learn.

3) The easy answer to this would be yes. However, like most things masonic it depends on the jurisdiction.

4) No. They have ties to Freemasonry in that the women who join must have a close family tie to a Freemason.

5) That would depend on the individual’s interpretation. In my opinion, it would be anything openly against a brother.

6) No, the masons are not a religion of any sort.

7) I don’t know what you have been reading or what you have been told, but DMT nor any other sort of drug is ever referred to in freemasonry.

8) Yes, sort of. It is a choreographed and sometimes dramatic representation that is used to instill certain educational and moralistic values.

9) Each masonic lodge disciplines it’s members, and each masonic lodge is subordinate to the Grand Lodge of that jurisdiction

10) Again, this would be jurisdictional. A misdemeanor would be up for discussion, but in most you would probably be expelled for a felony

11) I have heard of such, but not in our jurisdiction

12) To be considered affiliated with a fictitious organization that hasn’t been in existence for several centuries? It is laughable at most.

13) Yep, just like someone can say they are superman. But unless you can prove it then you are just a liar.

14) There is nothing obvious. But there are ways to “test” and we can’t get into that outside of lodge.

15) Say hi, be cordial, and move on.

16) Probably not, but I guess it would depend on why they are in prison.

17) Yes, Master Mason. But you still have to have a certain number of master masons along with you and meet certain criteria as set by the presiding Grand Lodge of that jurisdiction.

18) Nope to all parts of this question.

19) For a non-mason, Freemasonry for Dummies.

20) You asked this question in your other set of questions too. And the answer is maybe. But Freemasonry probably had very little to do with it. Usually, the person wasn’t strong in whatever their faith was before joining Freemasonry. But if they lose it completely and become atheistic then they will have to leave freemasonry or be expelled.

21) They can do whatever they like as to revealing themselves as a freemason. A lot of masons wear rings, hats, etc. Some like to keep it secret in their professional lives.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Deacon - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 23 March 2017 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2014-08-22
Lark - 22 March 2017 03:21 PM

Like I said, it’s your call. Tell me what you think once you have looked at the book.

After being an MM for approx. 2 years I slogged my way through Morals and Dogma. It took a long time as I was trying to digest and understand it the best that I could. I probably understood maybe 25% of it, lol.

Signature 

St. Matthews Lodge 906, Louisville,Kentucky.
Suburban Lodge 740, Louisville,Kentucky
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
Knights of St. Andrew, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter # 5, Royal Arch Masons
Louisville Council # 4, Royal and Select Masters
Louisville-DeMolay Commandery #12, Knights Templar

Posted: 24 March 2017 12:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2016-11-06

12) I don’t think it would be so much of an insult, much more like a bad joke.

13) People can and do make all sorts of claims. I can’t stop them from debasing themselves.

14) They will be eating Lays potato chips instead of Doritos.

15) I would call them out and hopefully dissuade them from being foolish in the future. Oh yes, there would also be lots of laughing.

16) Yes, his name is Prison Mike. (You’ve probably seen him on The Office)

Signature 

P. Cassidy

Initiated: 11/5/16
Passed: 12/28/16
Raised:  1/25/17

St George Lodge #33

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.5122 seconds.