2 of 2
Age Limit at 35?
Posted: 21 March 2017 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2016-05-30
Brother Ken - 21 March 2017 07:25 AM

I am going to step out on a VERY THIN limb here.. .
It is possible, your friend is claiming this age restriction as a cover for a race/religion issue?
As a Combat Vet, are you disabled? (PTSD etc) . . .
If you think these are not an issue, that’s fine, but a bit more info on your “friend” would be needed to help provide you more answers . . . There are certainly those lodges out there where people (yes - we are all still human) are still hanging on to those prejudices of old.

It is very possible that you are correct about my Mason(?)-Friend, he often brings up race in conversation.

Which seems contradictory to what he claims the Masons are about. I am Brazilian myself, adopted and raised by White parents. He often tells me that although I was raised with the ‘white perspective,’ strangers will treat me as a “n***er” or other-than-white.

This is also confusing because he himself is Cuban. I find it a little exacerbating that the older generations perpetuate these racial issues. It is like your racist grandfather who won’t let old biases and prejudice die - telling the Grand-kids stories of division.

Yes, I’m disabled - I have a right below the knee amputation from Afghanistan, Traumatic Brain Injury, and PTSD rating + Purple Heart. I am approximately 34 (why I posted this thread in the first place) and my friend/mentor is in his 70’s. He often talks about race, but is often sealed lips about religion.

He claims to be Honorary 33rd Degree/Shriner with his wife as Eastern Star. In person, he sticks out - no one like him, but on paper he is elusive - going by the name “Smith.” I’ve never seen his driver’s license or any type of identification or verification - - - - - The only thing I would feel comfortable sharing is the licence plate number, because that already has public exposure.

I don’t want anything to do with any organization based on race. He says that what matters is your “bloodline.”

Posted: 21 March 2017 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  570
Joined  2012-09-18

Even if he actually is as claimed a “legit” Freemason, he is certainly not a Masterful Mason.
Any man in the California Jurisdiction who espoused the things that you attribute to him would have been removed from a Lodge in short order.

It is only in clandestine lodges is “bloodline” important.

Signature 

Past Master, Dryden Lodge #472
Secretary, Caroline Lodge #618
Hudson,Fulton,Dryden Chapter #250 OES
32* A&ASR; Coudersport Pa.
RAM Fidelity #77

Posted: 21 March 2017 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4050
Joined  2007-09-27
Blue2me4you - 21 March 2017 11:47 AM
Brother Ken - 21 March 2017 07:25 AM

I am going to step out on a VERY THIN limb here.. .
It is possible, your friend is claiming this age restriction as a cover for a race/religion issue?
As a Combat Vet, are you disabled? (PTSD etc) . . .
If you think these are not an issue, that’s fine, but a bit more info on your “friend” would be needed to help provide you more answers . . . There are certainly those lodges out there where people (yes - we are all still human) are still hanging on to those prejudices of old.

It is very possible that you are correct about my Mason(?)-Friend, he often brings up race in conversation.

Which seems contradictory to what he claims the Masons are about. I am Brazilian myself, adopted and raised by White parents. He often tells me that although I was raised with the ‘white perspective,’ strangers will treat me as a “n***er” or other-than-white.

This is also confusing because he himself is Cuban. I find it a little exacerbating that the older generations perpetuate these racial issues. It is like your racist grandfather who won’t let old biases and prejudice die - telling the Grand-kids stories of division.

Yes, I’m disabled - I have a right below the knee amputation from Afghanistan, Traumatic Brain Injury, and PTSD rating + Purple Heart. I am approximately 34 (why I posted this thread in the first place) and my friend/mentor is in his 70’s. He often talks about race, but is often sealed lips about religion.

He claims to be Honorary 33rd Degree/Shriner with his wife as Eastern Star. In person, he sticks out - no one like him, but on paper he is elusive - going by the name “Smith.” I’ve never seen his driver’s license or any type of identification or verification - - - - - The only thing I would feel comfortable sharing is the licence plate number, because that already has public exposure.

I don’t want anything to do with any organization based on race. He says that what matters is your “bloodline.”

It all sounds really fishy to me.  Doesn’t sound like he’s a legitimate Freemason.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 21 March 2017 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1249
Joined  2011-11-10

Nor me.

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 21 March 2017 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-05-30
Richard George - 21 March 2017 02:01 PM

Nor me.

Should I confront him? Report him?

I’ve known him for over 5 years - Will this would jeopardize our friendship.

What is the right thing to do?

I’m personally interested in the Masons, but Trust seems to be an issue every-time I inquire.

Posted: 21 March 2017 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  249
Joined  2014-06-15
Blue2me4you - 20 March 2017 06:51 PM
Dan-O - 20 March 2017 06:31 PM

I can not tell who is a real Mason and who are not!
In fact - How do I know that all of you are not really just Cats on keyboards? lol, but seriously.

Most of us here who have answered you have included our names and where we are members. It would be an easy thing to check out. You have not told us what lodge and jurisdiction your “masonic friend” is a member of where we can check him.

As others have stated, your friend may claim to be a mason and may indeed be part of an organization that claims to be masonic, but that doesn’t mean he is part of our organization which is the main freemasonic organization recognized and respected all over the world.

So you will have to decide: 1) do you accept the information that we give you, 2) or you accept the information your “friend” gives you and throwout ours. The choice is yours.

If you could give us information about your friend’s membership (you don’t have to give us his name) then we can at least determine his jurisdiction’s authenticity.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Warden - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 21 March 2017 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2014-03-28
Blue2me4you - 21 March 2017 02:24 PM
Richard George - 21 March 2017 02:01 PM

Nor me.

Should I confront him? Report him?

I’ve known him for over 5 years - Will this would jeopardize our friendship.

What is the right thing to do?

I’m personally interested in the Masons, but Trust seems to be an issue every-time I inquire.

First off, thank you for your service.

As to your friend, I’m not sure what you would report him for. At worst, bombastic impersonation isn’t a crime. WRT confronting him, that’s your call. It is indeed a matter of trust.

I will say one thing however. No regular Mason I am aware of these days would hesitate to tell you which lodge he belongs to. I’d be tempted to just ask him, “So, what Masonic lodge do you belong to?” If there is waffling on that, well, that too might be indicative.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 21 March 2017 10:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2331
Joined  2011-01-20

Let me put this to you simply, your friend is not a Mason. There is no honorary 33rd degree. There is no upper age limit. Any person claiming these things is not to be believed.

If you want the real thing, we can help.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 22 March 2017 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-05-30
Brother John - 21 March 2017 10:37 PM

If you want the real thing, we can help.

Is there a contact in San Diego? Someone I can just talk/ask simple questions and get straight answers.

I’m not really as interested in the rules and mythology, but more interested in why whomever joined, what did they expect, what do they enjoy the most, what type of charity work do they enjoy in relation to their membership, how they feel about the stigmas and mis-information regarding Masons . . . etc.

I would really appreciate to understand a Masons passions and thoughts - all the ritual stuff can be found and downloaded online - I did download, but I stopped reading when it basically stated: “Reading beyond this point may ruin your Masonic experience.”

I am not sure if I feel like exposing my ignorance online with Forum Posts.

A PM (Private Message) is fine.

I can, alternatively, make a Forum Post with a list of questions/rumors (in the appropriate section of course).

Posted: 22 March 2017 12:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  503
Joined  2012-01-30

The Masonic Roundtable is a fantastic source of quality Masonic information!

As to the age issue I’ve never heard of a set number.  But I have heard the rule is basically if you can take care of yourself or with slight assistance you qualify.  I have an uncle who joined when he was close to 70.  He’s been a widower for decades and his kids all grew up.  He’s probably going to be able to care for himself until he dies.  So if his heath keeps up he would have been eligible for membership close to 100.

I’ve seen grand lodge officers show up for degrees so they could preform it with variations for health conditions.  They wanted to do it so no one could question the changes in the ritual if the grand master was present.  The only physical thing I’ve seen personally is in Alabama a blind Mason cannot be the tyler.  Being that he is a type of security that makes sense.  But the brother can serve as any other officer.

I hope my ramblings helped.

Signature 

DeWayne
Kensington-Bethesda Lodge No. 198 - Senior Warden
RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF, Athelstan

I’m living in the DC area now.

There is no Gospel According to St. Youtube.

Posted: 22 March 2017 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  956
Joined  2011-03-20
Blue2me4you - 22 March 2017 12:54 AM

Is there a contact in San Diego? Someone I can just talk/ask simple questions and get straight answers.

I would suggest that your best bet would be to start at the beginning.

Living in San Diego you would initially need to approach a Lodge under either the Grand Lodge of California or the Prince Hall GL of California for membership so why not start off with those GL’s websites where you can get some straight info from the horse’s mouth so to speak: https://www.freemason.org/index.htm or http://www.mwphglcal.org/

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 22 March 2017 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2014-03-28
Blue2me4you - 22 March 2017 12:54 AM

I am not sure if I feel like exposing my ignorance online with Forum Posts.

Keep one thing in mind. Every Mason - every last single one of us - started off completely ignorant about the Craft. All of us had to ask our own set of what we worried might be foolish questions. Nobody is going to laugh, I promise.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 22 March 2017 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2014-08-22

I was 58 years old when I joined! Although I’m not sure about the sound mind in my case, lol.

Signature 

St. Matthews Lodge 906, Louisville,Kentucky.
Suburban Lodge 740, Louisville,Kentucky
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
Knights of St. Andrew, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter # 5, Royal Arch Masons
Louisville Council # 4, Royal and Select Masters
Louisville-DeMolay Commandery #12, Knights Templar

Posted: 22 March 2017 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2331
Joined  2011-01-20
Warrior1256 - 22 March 2017 06:23 PM

I was 58 years old when I joined! Although I’m not sure about the sound mind in my case, lol.

I was 51. Now I’m about to start my third year as Master.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 02 May 2017 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2015-11-09

Well, I joined when I was 45 so….
I have never heard of an upper age limit. There arent any jurisdictions in the US that have an upper age limit. A lower one, yes, but no upper one.
Speaking only of my blue lodge, many current masons joined later in life. This was due to a solid financial base, children being older, the approach of retirement-there are dozens of reasons men join later in life. Just like there are dozens of reasons men join earlier.

As to The Masonic Roundtable: I listen to their podcasts fairly regularly. They are well involved in Freemasonry, and are a good resource for both masons, and those enquiring into it.

Signature 

Petitioned September 2015
Ballotted November 2015
Initiated January 11, 2016
Passed February 8, 2016
Raised May 9, 2016

Caleb Butler Lodge.

2 of 2

‹‹ حسين      BOGUS MASONRY!!!!!!! ››

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.5422 seconds.