Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

1 of 2
Age Limit at 35?
Posted: 20 March 2017 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2016-05-30

I’ve heard (from a ‘mason’) that the age limit to join is 35 years of age. As in, if you are older than 35, you cannot join.

Is this true?

In the military, some may say, “There is a waiver for everything.” This means, essentially that there are no exceptions to the rule except for the exception to the rule.

It is my understanding, every lodge ‘reports’ or is accountable to the Grand Lodge of the State (in US). Still my understanding, in the US - the State’s Grand Lodge determine the guidelines which are filtered down through the branches (local lodges).

Is this 35 age limit true? Or is this a arbitrary jurisdictional limitation?

I find it hard to comprehend enlightened individuals restraining themselves to a concept of yearly age.

Also, as a non-Mason - I have found the YouTube Channel “MasonicRoundtable,” very helpful: http://www.youtube.com/MasonicRoundtable

Is the above Masonic YouTube channel reputable?

Thank you for your time.

Posted: 20 March 2017 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2010-11-01
Blue2me4you - 20 March 2017 11:10 AM

I’ve heard that the age limit to join is 35 years of age.

Is this true?

In the military, some may say, “There is a waiver for everything.” This means, essentially that there are no exceptions to the rule except for the exception to the rule.

It is my understanding, every lodge ‘reports’ or is accountable to the Grand Lodge of the State (in US). Still my understanding, in the US - the State’s Grand Lodge determine the guidelines which are filtered down through the branches (local lodges).

Is this 35 age limit true? Or is this a arbitrary jurisdictional limitation?

I find it hard to comprehend enlightened individuals restraining themselves to a concept of yearly age.

Also, as a non-Mason - I have found the YouTube Channel “MasonicRoundtable,” very helpful: http://www.youtube.com/MasonicRoundtable

Thank you for your time.

Not sure where you got age of 35 from, but I have not seen any jurisdiction with a minimum age of 35.  Most have a minimum age of 18, and some are 21.  There were, at one time and may still be, a couple that are 19.

As for the youtube channel, I have not investigated it thoroughly so I will refrain from commenting other than to say that I have heard of a group going by that name elsewhere but whether this is the same group, I do not know.

Signature 

W:. Bro. Paul Hulseapple
St. Georges Lodge #6
Worshipful Master for the 2016-17 A.D 6016-17 A.L. year

32°AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
Scribe

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S.
Schenectady NY

Posted: 20 March 2017 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-05-30

No, not “minimum” age requirement.

A limit on the age that you can join. As in, if you are older than 35 - you cannot join.

Is it true that you cannot join after age 35?

Posted: 20 March 2017 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  249
Joined  2014-06-15

No, there is no upper age limit to join. What the lodge will want to realize is that the person joining is mentally capable to make the decision to join and learn the necessary lessons. So if the man is 95 but mentally sharp then he can probably join. However, if the man is 65 and suffering from severe Alzheimer’s then probably no.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Warden - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 20 March 2017 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  249
Joined  2014-06-15

...Also, as a non-Mason - I have found the YouTube Channel “MasonicRoundtable,” very helpful: http://www.youtube.com/MasonicRoundtable

Thank you for your time.

Yes

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Warden - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 20 March 2017 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4046
Joined  2007-09-27

I’ve heard that the age limit to join is 35 years of age. As in, if you are older than 35, you cannot join.

Is this true?

Absolutely not true.  There is no upper age limit as long as a man is of sound mind.  You’ve been given bad information.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 20 March 2017 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-05-30
Dan-O - 20 March 2017 02:29 PM

I’ve heard that the age limit to join is 35 years of age. As in, if you are older than 35, you cannot join.

Is this true?

Absolutely not true.  There is no upper age limit as long as a man is of sound mind.  You’ve been given bad information.

Why would a Mason I know and trust well tell me this ‘bad information’?

Posted: 20 March 2017 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27
Blue2me4you - 20 March 2017 06:15 PM

Is this true?

It’s quite likely he’s not a Mason if he told you something like this. Or…he could be a member of a group that CALLS themselves Freemasons, but they really aren’t (yes, sadly, there are groups like that).

You’ve posted a question on a Masonic forum where Masons from all over the country (and some outside the country) have answered you that it isn’t true.

Ask your friend….what lodge is he a member of.  We can straighten this out once and for all.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 20 March 2017 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-05-30
Dan-O - 20 March 2017 06:31 PM

Is this true?

It’s quite likely he’s not a Mason if he told you something like this. Or…he could be a member of a group that CALLS themselves Freemasons, but they really aren’t (yes, sadly, there are groups like that).

You’ve posted a question on a Masonic forum where Masons from all over the country (and some outside the country) have answered you that it isn’t true.

Ask your friend….what lodge is he a member of.  We can straighten this out once and for all.

Hmmm . . . I’m confused. He told me that the reason you can not join if you are older than 35 is because people have developed their prejudices and biases beyond “repair.” He said that people are open to new concepts and ideas (statistically?) up until about 35 years old.

So, I figured - That Freemasonry is a sort of initiation into Manhood - and 35 was the limit. I also mistakenly thought there might have been some sort of reference to the number 33 + 2 years to catch up if you are not related to a Mason directly.

I’m confused because just the other day 2 people in my class (student and professor) said they are/were Masons. But the student did Prison Time, and my friend says that you CANT have a conviction to join the Masons.

I can not tell who is a real Mason and who are not!
In fact - How do I know that all of you are not really just Cats on keyboards? lol, but seriously.

Posted: 20 March 2017 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  949
Joined  2011-03-20

Snipped for brevity.

Absolutely no idea where you’re getting your intel but quite obviously not from Freemasons.

There is NO upper age limit to becoming a Freemason just a minimum age. As to the rest just leave it alone as it seems to be leading you astray and ask any questions you have here.

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 20 March 2017 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27
Blue2me4you - 20 March 2017 06:51 PM
Dan-O - 20 March 2017 06:31 PM

Is this true?

Hmmm . . . I’m confused. He told me that the reason you can not join if you are older than 35 is because people have developed their prejudices and biases beyond “repair.” He said that people are open to new concepts and ideas (statistically?) up until about 35 years old.

So, I figured - That Freemasonry is a sort of initiation into Manhood - and 35 was the limit. I also mistakenly thought there might have been some sort of reference to the number 33 + 2 years to catch up if you are not related to a Mason directly.

I’m confused because just the other day 2 people in my class (student and professor) said they are/were Masons. But the student did Prison Time, and my friend says that you CANT have a conviction to join the Masons.

I can not tell who is a real Mason and who are not!
In fact - How do I know that all of you are not really just Cats on keyboards? lol, but seriously.

Hey, I totally understand how confusing it may seem to a non-Mason.  I get it.  It’s really frustrating for us as Masons too because we can’t STOP false Masons from calling themselves that.  :(

If you really want confirmation, I suppose you could look up the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, and then look at the lodges in that jurisdiction.  Find “Columbian Lodge”.  Now do a search for our website and our facebook page, with pictures of us (me included) IN the Grand Lodge building, dressed in Masonic regalia, having dinner, laughing and enjoying time with my brothers. 

In fact, I’ll help you.  I bet with a little luck you can spot me in BOTH of these lodges:
http://www.columbianlodge.org - or https://www.facebook.com/ColumbianLodge1795/ (we were chartered by Paul Revere in 1795)
http://www.friendshiplodge.com - https://www.facebook.com/Friendship-Lodge-501269583248859/

While not all lodges have websites or facebook pages, for any of us on here who are Masons, you can go to the Grand Lodge website for that lodge’s state and look up the lodges within that Grand Lodge, and you’ll find it.

Once you’ve found that….see if your friends who “say” they are Masons can tell you the same.  Again, asking someone who claims to be a Mason what lodge they are a member of usually clears this up.  If anyone is telling you that they have an upper age limit, then they are not recognized as Masons by the regular Grand Lodge systems that has been around since at least 1717.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 20 March 2017 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2014-03-28

Mr Blue - When I was a little boy, my grandfather used to put stuff like your friends’ statements on his strawberries to make them grow big and red.

WRT prison time - there is no hard-and-fast rule, but we insist on moral behaviour. A man who made a mistake in his youth and has since turned himself around might be accepted. It would all depend on the circumstances. By and large, no, but it’s possible. Given the ‘advice’ you have been given by them, I’d question their status.

How do you know we are Masons? Fair question. Bottom line is that you don’t know and can’t be sure. We ourselves have ways of telling if a stranger belongs or not, but not at third-hand. However, Occam’s Razor still gives a good shave. This is a large, long-running site giving all kinds of Masonic info and advice, without any weird claims of Satanism or world domination, so that’s a positive sign. Everything said here corresponds to things you can find in acknowledged sources like Freemasonry for Dummies and on other Masonic sites - another positive indication. Nobody’s asked you for money yet, which is a big plus (the crackpots often ask for money to help support their ‘research’.) Nor are we abusing you or calling you ‘sheeple’ for questioning - that’s generally a pretty strong indicator of tinfoil in the chapeau.

Another positive indication? We disagree with one another. Not on the big stuff, but on many matters and to many questions, you can find differences of opinion. - not scripted responses here.

So, all in all, it’s your call. But keep asking those questions…

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 20 March 2017 11:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2016-11-06

Blue-

I can tell you that those who’ve replied to your question are telling the truth. If your friend is a real Mason, he should have no problem telling you the name of the lodge he belongs to, which you can in turn post on this thread.

Signature 

P. Cassidy

Initiated: 11/5/16
Passed: 12/28/16
Raised:  1/25/17

St George Lodge #33

Posted: 21 March 2017 02:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1248
Joined  2011-11-10

No upper age limit, and the lower limit is, strictly speaking, “of mature age” - which is generally regarded as 21 or, as indicated, 18 in certain instances. The full requirements are “of mature age, sound judgement and strict morals”. That means of course, that you can be 60+ and be eligible (or ineligible if the latter 2 are not true!)

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 21 March 2017 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  278
Joined  2013-04-04

Last week our lodge conferred an Entered Apprentice Mason degree on a gentlemen who is 70 years old. I was 52 when I joined the fraternity.  Never to old to join as long as the candidate is of sound mind.

Signature 

Bro.Ed Pickett Jr.
Worshipful Master 2017
La Belle Vallee Lodge No 232 F&AM;
Jersey Shore, Pa.
Initiated 1-14-13, Passed 2-11-13, Raised 3-11-13

Master of First Veil 2017
Lafayette RAC No. 163
Lock Haven, Pa.
Mark Master 1-16-14,Most Excellent Master 2-20-14, Royal Arch Mason 3-20-14

Posted: 21 March 2017 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2016-08-26

I am going to step out on a VERY THIN limb here..  (I apologize in advance)

I just looked at your profile..

It is possible, your friend is claiming this age restriction as a cover for a race/religion issue?
As a Combat Vet, are you disabled? (PTSD etc)

(again, I do apologize if you find these questions offensive, just trying to help)

If you think these are not an issue, that’s fine, but a bit more info on your “friend” would be needed to help provide you more answers.

There are certainly those lodges out there where people (yes - we are all still human) are still hanging on to those prejudices of old.

Signature 

Brother Ken

St. John’s 1P, RI
EA 10/19/16
FC 1/18/17
MM 3/15/17
Signed By-Laws 5/17/17

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing ~ Theodore Roosevelt

1 of 2

‹‹ حسين      BOGUS MASONRY!!!!!!! ››

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.6781 seconds.