Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Requested to join.
Posted: 13 March 2017 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2017-03-12

Hello after various attempts at trying to meet someone at the local lodge and failing miserably haha I decided to reach out to the secretary via Email. Although he did not mention anything further about joining he responded by offering me a tour of the lodge! Now this does not deter me because I think this may be a first step. I have been reading in esoteric subjects by the likes of manly p hall, huxley, dr john dee for years and have felt the pull to join. I sure hope it goes well if indeed this is step one.

Posted: 13 March 2017 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  403
Joined  2014-03-28

No reason to be deterred. It sounds pretty normal. To be clear, nobody is ever requested to join - ever. We will talk about the Craft to anyone interested but that last step - asking - must be taken by the individual.

As to the esoteric side of it, first off, don’t take anything Hall said about Freemasonry seriously as he didn’t join until a generation after writing about us. Secondly, there is relatively little of it actually in lodge; some Masons choose to delve into that on an individual basis, just as some become enchanted with the ritual or Masonic history or whatever.

Good luck. Let us hear how you make out.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 13 March 2017 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2016-11-06

You’re probably already aware of this, but we don’t ask anyone to join—the individual needs to make that choice of their own free will. The secretary with whom you’re corresponding will answer your questions but you’ll never receive an invitation to join. He can also direct you should you decide that you’d like to join.

Signature 

P. Cassidy

Initiated: 11/5/16
Passed: 12/28/16
Raised:  1/25/17

St George Lodge #33

Posted: 13 March 2017 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-03-12

Yes thank you. My subject title wasn’t clear I meant to say I requested to join! Thank you very much for the advice on Halls work! I will consider what you’ve said thanks for the clarity.

Tomorrow at 1PM is my tour. Ill keep you all posted thank you.

Posted: 14 March 2017 03:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2016-10-06

Enjoy your tour :) Ask many questions and if you are still interested, tell him you want to join and he will probably get someone to contact you later.

Signature 

FM, United Kingdom
Currently: FC, Steward - Lodge: 8362

Posted: 16 March 2017 05:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-03-12

Hello guys. The tour was absolutely brilliant. The secretary was well informed to any questions I had and was willing to discuss all sorts of things both factual and not so factual about the craft. Turns out the man knew my grandfather who was friends with his dad so there was a little family discussion as well. That all being said I have filled out my Application For Initiation which he emailed me. Here is to hoping!

Posted: 16 March 2017 05:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2016-10-06

Visiting, asking questions, talking family and filling the application is the first step into the Craft :)

They may take some time before they contact you. If I remember well, it took more than 6 months between me filling that form and my initiation. It can be longer or shorter depending on the on going activities in your area.

Well, I wish you all the best for next steps!

Signature 

FM, United Kingdom
Currently: FC, Steward - Lodge: 8362

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3237 seconds.