Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Joining a second lodge
Posted: 27 February 2017 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2015-09-25

Hey all,

I was initiated last Wednesday as an entered apprentice. Among the information provided to me to read through afterwards was information on a club in London for Masons under 35 years old and it recommended joining to meet more new masons. I had already come across this club in my research prior to initiation and was intending to join anyway. It’s called The Connaught Club.

On the site though, it mentions that club members are invited to join the club lodge. Now, I have only just joined my mother lodge, so is there any value from joining another lodge this early on? Or would it distract from my duties to my mother lodge?

I am pretty sure that I can join the club without joining the lodge, but need to confirm.

Thanks,
Michael

Posted: 27 February 2017 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1249
Joined  2011-11-10

Don’t worry about it at the moment as you cannot become a joining member of another lodge until you become a MM. Why? Because the secretary of whichever lodge you join is required to inspect your Grand Lodge Certificate - and you don’t get that until you become a Master Mason.

I don’t think the club is restricted to MMs (Mike Martin will know as I believe he is a member and will likely reply) and you are not required to join the lodge with which it is affiliated.

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 27 February 2017 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2015-09-25

Hey Richard,

Thank you for your response. I didn’t know about the MM requirement to join another lodge. I have contacted the club through their website and they’ve responded, confirming there is no requirement to join the lodge to join the club.

Thanks,
Michael

Posted: 28 February 2017 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

To be fair though, there are ways for EA or FCs to become joining members, but they are the exception rather than the rule and not something you need to worry about. The methods are normally only used when moving Constitutions (for example) or when a lodge is closing and the remaining members are transferring to another lodge.

Signature 

Richard
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 01 March 2017 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  249
Joined  2014-06-15

My personal opinion is that why would you want dual or plural membership UNLESS you had interest in holding office in those lodges. If you join other lodges then you must also pay the additional dues. But if you are not interested in holding office then as a Master Mason you are usually allowed to visit any lodge you wish without being a member. And while you have no guarantee you can visit it is usually allowed.

Plus keep in mind that in most jurisdiction if you are a member in more than once place then your membership status affects your membership in all lodges. What do I mean? Well, let’s say one year your finances get to a point where you can only afford one lodge, and you go suspended for non-payment of dues. Well, you are now not in good standing in Lodge B, and by default you are now not in good standing in Lodge A either, and you would have to make good with both lodges to clear up your accounts.

So decide for yourself why you would consider joining a second lodge. If it is for fellowship and camaraderie only then I wouldn’t “join” but rather participate as a visitor. But if you are interested in participating as an officer then you would be required to join as a member.

Just my personal opinion.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Warden - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 01 March 2017 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10
Bro DHoward - 01 March 2017 09:35 AM

Plus keep in mind that in most jurisdiction if you are a member in more than once place then your membership status affects your membership in all lodges. What do I mean? Well, let’s say one year your finances get to a point where you can only afford one lodge, and you go suspended for non-payment of dues. Well, you are now not in good standing in Lodge B, and by default you are now not in good standing in Lodge A either, and you would have to make good with both lodges to clear up your accounts.

Not so under the English Constitution. Over here, you are only in deficit to Lodge B. Clearing those arrears is only required if you then join lodge C - and even then, strictly speaking, it’s not the individual who covers the arrears, it’s lodge C - who, by accepting him as a member, inherit the arrears. In practice of course, lodge C won’t accept the application without a clearance certificate from lodge B (and A). He can carry on as a fully subscribed member of A as long as he wishes, even though he owes arrears to B.

It’s also worth noting that he is NEVER in arrears to Grand Lodge because it’s the lodge that’s liable for dues per member; not the individual. The lodge has to pay regardless of whether or not they’ve been paid by the individual.

Signature 

Richard
UGLE.

Posted: 02 March 2017 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  372
Joined  2012-03-05
Bro DHoward - 01 March 2017 09:35 AM

Plus keep in mind that in most jurisdiction if you are a member in more than once place then your membership status affects your membership in all lodges. What do I mean? Well, let’s say one year your finances get to a point where you can only afford one lodge, and you go suspended for non-payment of dues. Well, you are now not in good standing in Lodge B, and by default you are now not in good standing in Lodge A either, and you would have to make good with both

Or he could just demit from that second lodge and avoid getting himself suspended.

Signature 

Dave

Master-Elect, Garden City Lodge A.F. & A.M., Newtonville, MA—Entered: 4/12/01; Passed: 5/10/01; Raised: 6/14/01
Treasurer, Boston University Lodge A.F. & A.M, Boston, MA
Mount Lebanon Lodge A.F. & A.M., Boston, MA
Boston-Lafayette Lodge of Perfection, Scottish Rite Valley of Boston
Aleppo Shrine, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Wilmington, MA

Posted: 02 March 2017 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  372
Joined  2012-03-05

Honestly, I think it’s really up to you.

Do you want to join that second lodge? Do you have the time to attend the meetings? You’re concerned about it distracting you from your current Masonic duties, but you know better than anyone what your duties are and how much time you need for them.

Every Mason has a different experience and approaches their involvement in the craft differently. I know guys who have been Masons for 50 years and never even visited a lodge other than their own. They get all they need out of Masonry from that one lodge, and that’s fine. I know guys who belong to a dozen lodges and attend every single meeting and are actively involved at all of them. I know guys who are only a member of one lodge and frequently visit other lodges but choose not to affiliate with those other lodges. Whatever you’re most comfortable with.

I’ll tell you how I ended up joining a second lodge: I was taking night classes for my MBA and for two years I couldn’t attend meetings at my mother lodge because I had class that night. I started visiting another lodge that met on a different night, and developed some really close friendships in that second lodge. Even though I knew I would eventually be able to go back to my mother lodge (and today I’m Senior Warden of my mother lodge), I’ve had so much fun at the other lodge that I knew I was going to keep attending meetings there, too. Since I knew I’d be coming every month, I decided I wanted to affiliate and become a member of that lodge. For one thing it’s the only way to get included in that lodge’s private events (the Christmas party, the summer clambake, etc), but even if that wasn’t the case to me it just felt like the right thing to do because if I’m attending meetings every month as if I’m a member I thought I should support the lodge with annual dues just like all members do. Every lodge has expenses, and the revenue to cover those expenses has to come from the members.

It was a personal decision, I could have continued attending as a visitor but personally I didn’t want to. Make whatever decision you feel is right for you.

Signature 

Dave

Master-Elect, Garden City Lodge A.F. & A.M., Newtonville, MA—Entered: 4/12/01; Passed: 5/10/01; Raised: 6/14/01
Treasurer, Boston University Lodge A.F. & A.M, Boston, MA
Mount Lebanon Lodge A.F. & A.M., Boston, MA
Boston-Lafayette Lodge of Perfection, Scottish Rite Valley of Boston
Aleppo Shrine, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Wilmington, MA

Posted: 03 March 2017 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2016-08-26

Good day to all of you Brothers out there!!

I know I am a few days late to the party.. so forgive my late response.

As you originally posted, you have only just been initiated into Freemasonry.  Although it has already been stated, only you can judge the time, effort and commitment you need to put into your Entered Apprentice work.

That being said, take a step back and ask yourself why you are in such a rush to join a club when you have only just joined Freemasonry.  Generally speaking, the EA degree is usually the most challenging due to the unfamiliarity of the way things are done.  It will take some effort on your part, and it will only get much more enlightening if you allow yourself to focus on the task at hand.

As an EA, you have made a commitment to your mother lodge and your brothers.  I would recommend you focus on your degrees before looking into anything else, however, only you can judge your time, effort and commitment.

Welcome and good luck!

Signature 

Brother Ken

St. John’s 1P, RI
EA 10/19/16
FC 1/18/17
MM 3/15/17
Signed By-Laws 5/17/17

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Posted: 03 March 2017 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

Ken, just so you know, the club Michael is talking about is specifically for light blue masons - ie, in EC terms, those who have just joined or have yet to be awarded Provincial/Metropolitan rank (dark blue). The club (and others like it in the Provinces) are intended to foster the fellowship between the members of the various lodges that meet in the location. The idea is to encourage visiting and the making of friends outside of your own lodge. Those who have reached dark blue have (generally speaking) already made those connections.

Signature 

Richard
UGLE.

Posted: 03 March 2017 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2016-08-26
Richard George - 03 March 2017 01:37 PM

Ken, just so you know, the club Michael is talking about is specifically for light blue masons - ie, in EC terms, those who have just joined or have yet to be awarded Provincial/Metropolitan rank (dark blue). The club (and others like it in the Provinces) are intended to foster the fellowship between the members of the various lodges that meet in the location. The idea is to encourage visiting and the making of friends outside of your own lodge. Those who have reached dark blue have (generally speaking) already made those connections.

Ah, that does explain things a bit more.  Thank you for the enlightenment!

I am not aware of any such groups in my area.

Signature 

Brother Ken

St. John’s 1P, RI
EA 10/19/16
FC 1/18/17
MM 3/15/17
Signed By-Laws 5/17/17

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Posted: 13 March 2017 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2016-10-06

Hi

Let me congratulate you on being initiated ;) I hope you will enjoy your Freemasonry as I do.

From this stage onwards, you have a lot of people to meet, many things to learn and slowly grow within your lodge.

Try to visit other lodges in your jurisdiction. Maybe to assist to an initiation as it will give you a different perspective.

However, I don’t recommend joining a second lodge at this early stage. You can spend a full year as Mason to see what is the typical involvement in terms of time, meetings, LOIs, rehearsals… etc. Then you can see if you would like to double this by getting involved into a second lodge.

Signature 

FM, United Kingdom
Currently: MM, Steward - Lodge: 8362

Posted: 17 March 2017 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2014-08-22

I joined a second lodge about six months after I was raised.

Signature 

St. Matthews Lodge 906, Louisville,Kentucky.
Suburban Lodge 740, Louisville,Kentucky
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
Knights of St. Andrew, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter # 5, Royal Arch Masons
Louisville Council # 4, Royal and Select Masters
Louisville-DeMolay Commandery #12, Knights Templar

‹‹ Hello Brothers      Initiated last night! ››

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3989 seconds.