Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Wanting to see my grandfather’s record
Posted: 23 February 2017 05:48 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2012-03-02

Is there a way in which I can find the information on my grandfather’s membership?

Signature 

I would rather be hated for who I am then loved for who I’m not
-Curt Cobain

Posted: 23 February 2017 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2015-09-25

Hey,

I am not sure if it is the same everywhere, but in the UK (where I am) I applied for a genealogical enquiry through the Grand Lodge Library to find out about my grandfather.

Posted: 23 February 2017 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-03-02

Thank you for the quick reply. I will contact the Grand Lodge for further information.

Signature 

-Curt Cobain

Posted: 23 February 2017 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2014-03-28

Alternatively, if you know which lodge he belonged to, go to them directly. If you aren’t sure but know the town, it’s easy enough to dig up a list of the lodges there. Send them all an email or letter. I went that way trying to track down my uncle’s mother lodge when I ran into some delays at the grand lodge in another province. Worked just fine and they were really thrilled to hear from me; I plan to visit the next time my travels take me out that way.

Be aware in any case the amount of data you can get, while perhaps interesting, is going to be fairly limited - address and trade at the time of initiation, maybe a list of positions he held within the lodge and so forth. Probably no great surprises, although when I was digitizing my lodge’s records, I did find some with photos, newspaper clippings amd such. That kind of thing is unlikely that to be found at grand lodge, I suspect.

Good luck.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 23 February 2017 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-03-02

Thank you for the info Bob. I’m very excited to be petitioning my local lodge (I’ve been wanting to join since I was 12 and I’m 22 now) I just wanted to ask if there was a way to find out because I know ol Gramps was an MM and my curiosity has always been strong.

Signature 

-Curt Cobain

Posted: 02 March 2017 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2016-11-06

I finally found my great great grandfather’s membership card on Ancestry.com a few days ago which was very exciting. I knew he lived in Boston but didn’t know he was a Mason until I found his obituary which mentioned Euclid Lodge providing him with a Masonic funeral in 1917. To my knowledge, Ancestry only has Masonic membership cards from Massachusetts. My great great grandfather has quite a story—immigrated to the states from Messina at 16, played violin for the Boston Symphony, and joined the craft later in his life. Apparently Euclid Lodge at that time was one of a few “daylight” lodges for brothers who didn’t have time in the evenings to attend lodge (my Massachusetts brothers can correct me if I’m wrong).

Signature 

P. Cassidy

Initiated: 11/5/16
Passed: 12/28/16
Raised:  1/25/17

St George Lodge #33

Posted: 03 March 2017 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2016-08-26

Congrats on finding more about your own family history!!

Some time ago, I started looking into join freemasonry for reasons not important on this thread.  I kept it away from my family because I know they are a presumptive bunch. (I am the youngest of 4)

Long story short, when my mother found out I was joining, she made an off-handed comment about my grandfather being a Mason. (my grandfather died when my mother was 16, so I have very little access to any information on him)

I started trying to find out all I could about him, including making requests to several local lodges and the grand lodge for more information.  Ironically enough, it turns out, when his lodge closed, they merged into the lodge I joined!

This past Christmas, as part of a gift I gave to my mother, a photo album booklet of me, my family and my brothers and their families, I also included a picture of his dues card at the very end.  Needless to say, my mother was overwhelmed at acquiring another memory of her father which she lost so long ago. (she didn’t even know he was a truck driver!)

Now, why do I share this story??  Because I learned that family can be a source of valuable information and support or it can be a burden on your ability to interact with them.  (something for everyone to think about)

Signature 

Brother Ken

St. John’s 1P, RI
EA 10/19/16
FC 1/18/17
MM 3/15/17

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing ~ Theodore Roosevelt

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.2697 seconds.