Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Question about how to fill out the petition.
Posted: 23 February 2017 04:24 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2012-03-02

Alright hopefully I explain this properly please bare with me. First allow me to introduce myself. My name is Joshua though my friends often call me by a part of my pen name Solomon Grimm. I am 22 years old and have been interested in the brotherhood since the age of 12 when I went to a Shriners hospital for surgery.

I am currently filling out the petition for my local lodge and have a question regarding how I should fill out the places I’ve resided area of the form. I have lived in Texas almost my entire life with the exception of one year when I was in middle school where I lived in the state of Mississippi.While living in Mississippi my father informed me that Texas was still technically our permanent residence at this time.

Now with this said when the petition asks how long I have been in Texas should I state 22 years. 21 years for the 1 year I was in Mississippi, or does it start over from the time I came back to Texas until now which would be somewhere in the ballpark of 11 years?

Furthermore if I do put the full 22 years when I have to list the addresses in which I have resided for the last 15 years wouldn’t this be confusing to the lodge to say I have resided in Texas my entire life yet have an address in Mississippi listed?

Thank you for your time.

Signature 

I would rather be hated for who I am then loved for who I’m not
-Curt Cobain

Posted: 23 February 2017 04:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1241
Joined  2011-11-10

Personally I’d say 22 years, but if I were you I’d speak to the secretary of the lodge to which you are applying and ask him. If there’s then any confusion, he is in a position to clarify it to the members of the lodge. It’s similar to working away from home for a period; your permanent place of residence is where the government papers go to, not to the digs you may be temporarily occupying.

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 23 February 2017 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  246
Joined  2014-06-15

I think you’d be fine either way. If your legal residence was in Texas the whole time then that is a truth. But if you also had a living address in Mississippi then that is also the truth. If you are applying for a lodge in Texas then I don’t think it will matter either way. Usually, the lodge wants to know that you have been in their GL jurisdiction for a minimum period of time, usually 6 months to a year depending on the jurisdiction.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Deacon - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 24 February 2017 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2016-08-26

I am thinking to myself that at the ages of 10 to 11, it really has little effect on your history. 

For the most part, the application is a way to get to know you and find out any adverse criminal history (if at all).

As a youthful minor, there is not much anyone would be able to legally find out anyway,

Signature 

Brother Ken

St. John’s 1P, RI
EA 10/19/16
FC 1/18/17
MM 3/15/17
Signed By-Laws 5/17/17

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Posted: 01 March 2017 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2014-08-22

From what you have said either answer would be truthful.

Signature 

St. Matthews Lodge 906, Louisville,Kentucky.
Suburban Lodge 740, Louisville,Kentucky
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
Knights of St. Andrew, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter # 5, Royal Arch Masons
Louisville Council # 4, Royal and Select Masters
Louisville-DeMolay Commandery #12, Knights Templar

Posted: 02 March 2017 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  366
Joined  2012-03-05
Brother Ken - 24 February 2017 07:50 AM

I am thinking to myself that at the ages of 10 to 11, it really has little effect on your history. 

For the most part, the application is a way to get to know you and find out any adverse criminal history (if at all).

As a youthful minor, there is not much anyone would be able to legally find out anyway,

I agree with Ken. Don’t worry about it, they’re not going to care where you were legally a resident when you were 12 or 13. Either way you fill it out would probably be “close enough” that nobody’s going to accuse you of lying on your application.

We’re a fraternity. You’re not applying to be an undercover agent at the CIA where the slightest hint of a discrepancy would disqualify you. :)

Good luck!

Signature 

Dave

Senior Warden, Garden City Lodge A.F. & A.M., Newtonville, MA—Entered: 4/12/01; Passed: 5/10/01; Raised: 6/14/01
Treasurer, Boston University Lodge A.F. & A.M, Boston, MA
Mount Lebanon Lodge A.F. & A.M., Boston, MA
Boston-Lafayette Lodge of Perfection, Scottish Rite Valley of Boston
Aleppo Shrine, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Wilmington, MA

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.2726 seconds.