Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Atheist
Posted: 21 February 2017 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2017-02-17

Due to a friend of the family having a domestic violence dispute, I started to look into her husband, after some digging I came upon his Facebook account and noticed he was a fellow brother “unconfirmed”. I mean he has a banner with a square and compass on it hinting at his travels. Well long story short i clicked on his bio and he proclaims to be a Freemason but also claims under his religion to be an Atheist! My question is can a fellow Brother be an Atheist and also be active in the Order? Please shed some LIGHT on this matter! S.M.I.B

Posted: 21 February 2017 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2313
Joined  2011-01-20
Bro_Cancel - 21 February 2017 03:56 PM

Due to a friend of the family having a domestic violence dispute, I started to look into her husband, after some digging I came upon his Facebook account and noticed he was a fellow brother “unconfirmed”. I mean he has a banner with a square and compass on it hinting at his travels. Well long story short i clicked on his bio and he proclaims to be a Freemason but also claims under his religion to be an Atheist! My question is can a fellow Brother be an Atheist and also be active in the Order? Please shed some LIGHT on this matter! S.M.I.B

There are lots of people who claim our symbols but are not part of our order. No, he cannot be a member of regular masonry and be an atheist. He could be a member of a clandestine organization, though.

On the other hand, a buddy of mine lists his occupation on facebook as “Elephant Trainer”.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 21 February 2017 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-02-17

i understand he cannot be active in the order, is there a way to check and see if he is an actual member?

Posted: 21 February 2017 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  403
Joined  2014-03-28

In my jurisdiction, promotion of or adherence to atheism can be grounds for a Masonic charge, potentially leading to expulsion.

To check membership, you could probably go through your grand lodge,

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 22 February 2017 12:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  231
Joined  2014-06-15

He could be a member of an organization which calls itself Co-Masonry or Le Droit Humain. This groups claims to be masonic but is not under the “regular mainstream” freemasonry that is practiced throughout the world, and the members of this organization are not recognized as masonic brothers. This particular organization allows atheists (at the discretion of the individual lodge) and also women.

The only way he could have joined regular mainstream freemasonry is if he lied to gain admission or if he changed his religions affiliation after joining.

Of course the other thing, as alluded to before, could be that he is just claiming to be masonic when in fact he is not.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Deacon - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 22 February 2017 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1440
Joined  2010-11-01
Bro_Cancel - 21 February 2017 03:56 PM

Are you a member of the craft yourself?

Signature 

W:. Bro. Paul Hulseapple
St. Georges Lodge #6
Worshipful Master for the 2016-17 A.D 6016-17 A.L. year

32┬░AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
Scribe

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 Allied Masonic Degrees
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37

Schenectady NY

Posted: 22 February 2017 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-02-17

Respetable Logia Adelphia #1, Mayaguez PR under the Gran Logia Soberana de Puerto Rico.

Posted: 23 February 2017 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1440
Joined  2010-11-01
Bro_Cancel - 22 February 2017 06:25 PM

Respetable Logia Adelphia #1, Mayaguez PR under the Gran Logia Soberana de Puerto Rico.

What does your GL say about the situation you are asking about?

Signature 

W:. Bro. Paul Hulseapple
St. Georges Lodge #6
Worshipful Master for the 2016-17 A.D 6016-17 A.L. year

32┬░AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
Scribe

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 Allied Masonic Degrees
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37

Schenectady NY

Posted: 24 February 2017 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2015-09-11

Just wondering how calling him out helps your friend? Are you an investigator by trade? Seems like you may find yourself in the middle of someones spat, which is never fun. Be cautious.

Signature 

Ken Byrd

Petitioned 10/15/2013
Initiated 4/15/2014
Passed 3/17/2015
Raised 9/15/2015

Socrates Lodge #373
Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire

Posted: 26 February 2017 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2016-11-06

The person in question seems to be either clandestine or a cowan. I agree with Ken—how does calling him out help the situation? He doesn’t seem like the real deal to me, and you finding out that he really isn’t a Mason won’t improve things.

Signature 

P. Cassidy

Initiated: 11/5/16
Passed: 12/28/16
Raised:  1/25/17

St George Lodge #33

Posted: 26 February 2017 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-02-17

it was more of a curiosity of how he had the symbolism on his facebook and all that but claim openly to be atheist. its all good, i was told not to even worry since masonic jewelry or anything that the ignorant consider to be illuminati seems to be in style now.

Posted: 01 March 2017 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2014-08-22

In order to be a member of a regular lodge the petitioner has to express a belief in a supreme being.

Signature 

St. Matthews Lodge 906, Louisville,Kentucky.
Suburban Lodge 740, Louisville,Kentucky
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
Knights of St. Andrew, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter # 5, Royal Arch Masons
Louisville Council # 4, Royal and Select Masters
Louisville-DeMolay Commandery #12, Knights Templar

Posted: 02 March 2017 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  358
Joined  2012-03-05

There are irregular lodges that don’t require a belief in God as a condition of membership. It’s possible he may be a Mason, but an irregular Mason and therefore not a part of our fraternity.

Or maybe he lied about believing in God and joined a regular lodge. But don’t worry about it. If you’re considering “outing” him as an atheist to your Grand Lodge, I would urge you not to. It’s not your concern. I’ve never really been too worried about atheists “sneaking” in to the craft by lying about believing in God, because I’ve always felt that if you don’t believe in God you’re probably not going to really enjoy going to lodge anyway. We invoke God’s name multiple times at every single meeting and a candidate is required to declare his belief in God to become a Mason, and I think an atheist would be uncomfortable with it and eventually just stop coming. It’s a problem that usually takes care of itself.

So I say just mind your own business and focus on being the best Freemason you can possibly be and don’t worry about him.

Signature 

Dave

Senior Warden, Garden City Lodge A.F. & A.M., Newtonville, MA—Entered: 4/12/01; Passed: 5/10/01; Raised: 6/14/01
Treasurer, Boston University Lodge A.F. & A.M, Boston, MA
Mount Lebanon Lodge A.F. & A.M., Boston, MA
Boston-Lafayette Lodge of Perfection, Scottish Rite Valley of Boston
Aleppo Shrine, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Wilmington, MA

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3875 seconds.