Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Accidental candidate - need advice from Masons, Lodge officers
Posted: 14 February 2017 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2016-05-12

I had planned on visiting a few lodges in my area, and went to dinner at the first one last night. I had spoken with the lodge secretary on the phone last week, and I told him I just wanted to visit because I wasn’t sure which lodge I wanted to petition. For whatever reason, I took my petition with me, even though it wasn’t completed (I hadn’t finished filling out the references section). At dinner, the lodge secretary asked to see my petition, and I told him I wasn’t ready yet. He told me he just wanted to look at what I had so far. Then he asked me if I brought the petition fee and background check results. I told him that I hadn’t, because I wasn’t planning on petitioning that night.

So while I’m talking to another Mason, I look up and the lodge secretary is signing my petition with another lodge officer. He came back to me and said they were going to present my petition at that night’s meeting. Keep in mind, I have never met any of these men before in my life.

I hadn’t decided to petition that lodge yet, and had at least one other that I wanted to check out. Is there anything I can do? Am I stuck in this lodge? Isn’t there supposed to be an Investigation Committee? How can it be a close group of brothers if they let anyone with dues money in?

Posted: 14 February 2017 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2301
Joined  2011-01-20

Send the Secretary a letter in writing asking to withdraw your petition. It is important that it be a written letter. You might say in the letter that you are simply undecided and would reserve the privilege of petitioning the lodge in the future.

While I’m not sure exactly what the procedure in Kansas is but in Massachusetts the steps are:

1) Prospective member fills out the petition and submits it with his initiation fee. This is, of course after finding a sponsor.
2) The petition is read in open lodge.
3) The Master and two other brother meet with the candidate and fill out an application. The candidate is given the background check form and instructed in its use.
4) Copies are made of the application and petition and given to the members of the Investigation Committee.
5) The IC contacts and meets with the candidate. They report their findings at the next lodge meeting and the Master calls for a vote.
6) If the vote is unanimous, the candidate is informed of when he will be receiving his first degree.

Some lodges are desperate for members and will take in any warm bodies with the initiation fees. That would be a red flag for me.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 14 February 2017 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2016-08-26

It occurs to me that there is a “misunderstanding” between you and the Secretary.  In all honesty, being new to the craft myself, I would call he Secretary and speak to him directly.

Explain to him that you believe there to be a misunderstanding and you feel it is best to get it corrected quickly.  Explain that there is still another lodge in the area you wish to visit prior to your official application submission to whichever lodge you choose.

Now, here is where you need to take a breath.. If this lodge is high on your consideration of joining, then you can either request a hold or withdraw the application, to allow you more time to decide.  If this lodge is not high on your consideration list, then you can request to withdraw the application.  Either case, a withdrawal should warrant a refund if you paid anything (less the cost of dinner).

I would certainly follow up with an email detailing your conversation, or voicemail, and your specific request. (for documentation purposes)

While it should not happen at all, if you need to contact the Grand Lodge of your home state to correct this misunderstanding, you will at least have your correspondence in writing to help back up your request.

All this being said, the sooner you contact the lodge about this, the easier it is to correct.

I am sure more knowledgeable brothers may have a more detailed direction to point you towards if I missed anything.

Thank you for your interest and I hope this has not soured your interest.

Signature 

Brother Ken

St. John’s 1P, RI
EA 10/19/16
FC 1/18/17

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Posted: 14 February 2017 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-05-12

Thank you both for your replies. I just feel a bit silly for the misunderstanding. I’m going to request a withdrawal with the ability to petition in the future. Thanks again, gentlemen.

Posted: 14 February 2017 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2014-06-15
Brother John - 14 February 2017 12:07 PM

Send the Secretary a letter in writing asking to withdraw your petition.

There could be an issue though.

In our jurisdiction, once the petition is read out in open lodge and a committee is assigned we must (according to GL Constitution) follow through with the investigative and voting process. So in ours the candidate can withdraw his petition BEFORE it is read in open lodge but not after. And then even if the candidate refuses the invitation to be initiated he would have to wait a minimum of 6 months before petitioning another lodge in the jurisdiction.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Deacon - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 14 February 2017 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  372
Joined  2014-03-28

Not sure about your jurisdiction, but in my jurisdiction, the petition has to be signed by the individual. if you have not signed it, to my mind, it’s nothing more than a piece of paper with your name on it. Contact the Secretary directly, followed up with a letter.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 15 February 2017 04:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2013-12-02

I agree with Bro Bob. If it is not signed by the applicant, its just a piece of paper.

Signature 

Nour Al Ayyash

Lodge Trinity #1846 / Founding Member / J.W
Lodge King Hiram #1351/ Treasurer
(Under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge Of Scotland)

District Grand Director Of Music

Tripoly Chapter # 773 for the Holy Royal Arch

32┬░ AASR S.J .Valley Of Washington

March on. Do not tarry. To go forward is to move toward perfection.
“Khalil Gibran”

Posted: 15 February 2017 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-05-12

Well that might be an issue.

Posted: 15 February 2017 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-03-28
Odysseus - 15 February 2017 03:51 PM

Well that might be an issue.

Sorry, but that’s rather cryptic. What do you mean?

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 16 February 2017 02:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1211
Joined  2011-11-10

My guess is he signed it…

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 16 February 2017 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  78
Joined  2015-11-25

Are we certain it is a Regular Blue Lodge?

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed—02-20-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

Posted: 16 February 2017 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-05-12
Richard George - 16 February 2017 02:52 AM

My guess is he signed it…

Yes, I had signed it.

Posted: 16 February 2017 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-05-12
Brother Joseph - 16 February 2017 11:13 AM

Are we certain it is a Regular Blue Lodge?

It’s definitely a regular Blue Lodge recognized by the GL of KS.

Posted: 16 February 2017 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-03-28

OK, so you did, kindasorta, apply. The situation becomes clearer.

It shouldn’t be a biggie; these things happen. I would suggest that you contact the Secretary ASAP and say you are still considering it and not to process your application at present.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 16 February 2017 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1437
Joined  2010-11-01

Sounds like a case of a Secretary overstepping his bounds.  I would speak to the Worshipful Master of the lodge explaining your situation.  It is up to him, technically, what goes on at meetings…..

Signature 

W:. Bro. Paul Hulseapple
St. Georges Lodge #6
Worshipful Master for the 2016-17 A.D 6016-17 A.L. year

32┬░AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
Scribe

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 Allied Masonic Degrees
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37

Schenectady NY

Posted: 24 February 2017 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2015-09-11

Yes I think I might speak with the WM of the lodge, since that secretary seems to not listen so well. It would also really drop that lodge in the standings as to which lodge to join. Nobody likes to be railroaded into anything.

Signature 

Ken Byrd

Petitioned 10/15/2013
Initiated 4/15/2014
Passed 3/17/2015
Raised 9/15/2015

Socrates Lodge #373
Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3775 seconds.