Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Joining the Shrine, York Rite, Both, or focus on Blue lodge for a while.
Posted: 09 February 2017 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2016-11-08

I’m only a year into being a Mason, I love being part of my lodge.  I’m considering joining the shrine, york rite, or maybe both.  As green as I am to freemasonry, what would you guys recommend?  should I focus solely on my lodge, or do you advise me to move ahead into other branches, while still learning blue lodge things?

Posted: 09 February 2017 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4058
Joined  2007-09-27

This all depends on how much free time you have and how involved you plan to be in each body.

For blue lodge, whether or not you are in line and working to maybe be Master someday will mean more nights out and more ritual work.

For Scottish Rite and york rite, there are similar responsibilities as an officer.  Scottish Rite for example, just JOINING Scottish Rite requires very little time.  You go to a reunion over a few weekends and witness some of the degrees.  If you want to start actively participating in lodge of perfection, princes of Jerusalem, Rose Croix, or Consistory…those would add additional nights, and if you had degree work as a cast member or other similar position, some memorization as well.

For the Shrine, again, joining the Shrine really requires just going to the Shrine for one day.  It all depends after that on if you join a unit.  Some unites meet weekly, some monthly, it varies.

As you can see, not an easy question to answer, but in general my advice is this….don’t join ANYTHING if it means that you will have to sacrifice your blue lodge activity.  Make sense?

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 09 February 2017 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-11-08

true, I’ll try and find out how often our local shrine meets, and what requirements, until then I’m aiming to take a chair, and have started to learn 1st, then probably 3rd Ruff. as the guys in those spots are wanting replaced.

Posted: 09 February 2017 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4058
Joined  2007-09-27

I’m guessing your nearest Shrine Center is Aladdin Shrine, in Columbus. 
http://www.aladdinshrine.com/
The way the Shrine works is that you join the Shrine with the intention of then checking out some of the units and joining one.  The purpose of most of the units is to participate in parades or to carry out some function for the Shrine center.  You might also find a Shrine club that is affiliated with a particular shrine that is closer to Lowell, OH, that you could join.  There are about 16 units in Aladdin Shrine, and I’m betting each unit has their own different meeting schedule.

Remember though, that the Shrine is meant to be fun and philanthropic.  There isn’t much in the way of ritual and symbolism, but there are still plenty of opportunities to keep polishing that ashlar.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 10 February 2017 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2016-08-26

Personally, when I am ready, I am likely going to join the Shriners.. simply to drive the mini-cars :P

Signature 

Brother Ken

St. John’s 1P, RI
EA 10/19/16
FC 1/18/17
MM 3/15/17
Signed By-Laws 5/17/17

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Posted: 10 February 2017 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-11-08

Marietta is about 10 minutes from me, there is a shrine there.  I like the philanthropy side.

Posted: 11 February 2017 02:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  512
Joined  2012-01-30

I waited between six months and a year after becoming a Master Mason to join the York Rite.  For me it was the best thing I could have done.  My wife and I have been married for a while, do not have children, and Freemasonry is the only thing I do outside of work and marriage.  I love being busy with it.

However, if you have wife, kids, other hobbies, hectic work, and/or any other responsibility it might not be a good move.  I really all depends on you.

I also enjoy the York Rite more than the Blue Lodge.  So feel no pressure to become an officer in the lodge.  The lodge needs good solid members in the seats.  If you want to be more “active” in another body then go for it!  But as another brother said the Blue Lodge should not be neglected.

Signature 

DeWayne
MM, RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF, Athelstan

I’m living in the DC area now.

There is no Gospel According to St. Youtube.

Posted: 11 February 2017 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  281
Joined  2013-04-04

As you can see from my signature line I waited about a year and then joined the York Rite Chapter(Royal Arch).  I was fairly active at first but then started moving up in the chairs at Blue Lodge and became a little less active.  At this point I am busy as Master of my lodge. IMO you should focus on the Blue Lodge for a while.  Believe me their is plenty to learn if you want to dedicate yourself to it. Best to you no matter what you decide.

Signature 

Bro.Ed Pickett Jr.
Worshipful Master 2017
La Belle Vallee Lodge No 232 F&AM;
Jersey Shore, Pa.
Initiated 1-14-13, Passed 2-11-13, Raised 3-11-13

Master of First Veil 2017
Lafayette RAC No. 163
Lock Haven, Pa.
Mark Master 1-16-14,Most Excellent Master 2-20-14, Royal Arch Mason 3-20-14

Posted: 13 February 2017 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2016-08-26

Another thing to think about is if you want to step into line at your blue lodge, some members may not be looking to step in line, but if there are a lot who would like to, there could be a significant wait, depending on the member-size of your lodge.

Signature 

Brother Ken

St. John’s 1P, RI
EA 10/19/16
FC 1/18/17
MM 3/15/17
Signed By-Laws 5/17/17

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Posted: 13 February 2017 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2015-11-25

I am about a week from my 2nd degree.

York Rite has been an interesting appeal to me from the beginning of deciding to pursue Freemasonry. At this time I am not very interested in Scottish Rite or Shrine.

I am asked sometimes, after completing MM will I get into the line? I simply respond that I know the lodge needs help in the line and I leave it at that. Currently I honestly have no ego motivations for those chairs. However, I feel a little guilty because I know my lodge needs more people to step into those positions. My relief comes in knowing there are a couple new candidates behind me that may work out. There are also 3 De Molay (already EAs) coming up behind me with fathers serving as officers in the lodge. I am pretty confident these 3 will aspire to hold chairs in the line.

Currently my idea of how I will serve the Blue lodge is much like it is now. Regular attendance, listening, learning and eventually voting on lodge business and voicing my views. I also know the temple board is in need of new board members to help look after the needs of the lodge. That may suit me and the lodge better than overwhelming myself with ritual memorization for Blue lodge and York Rite at the same time.

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed-02-20-17
Raised-06-10-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3461 seconds.