Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Scottish rite/ York rite
Posted: 31 January 2017 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2015-12-07

Is choosing to joining the Scottish or york rite encouraged, frowned upon or does it make any difference in the blue lodge?

Signature 

Initiated- 03/07/2017

Posted: 31 January 2017 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2014-06-15

Makes no difference to the “blue”/Craft lodge at all, or at least it shouldn’t. You are free to join or don’t join whatever you wish.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Deacon - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 01 February 2017 02:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  501
Joined  2012-01-30

Each individual Mason has his own thoughts on the topic.  Some are for it and some against.  Should it be pushed on you, NO.  After becoming a Master Mason a brother kept trying to get me to join the Shrine.  He enjoys the Shrine more than any other body and is always doing something for them.  His pitch finally boiled down to “you get to meet the important people who run things” at the time the sitting grand master was active in the Shrine.  I finally told him “if you are going to try and sell it to someone at least know what they will buy.  I could care less about meeting people who think they are important.”

Bottom line it is your path to walk in the fraternity.  If you want to join a body join it and if not don’t.  The Symbolic Lodge is the most important Masonic body.

Signature 

DeWayne
Kensington-Bethesda Lodge No. 198 - Senior Warden
RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF

I’m living in the DC area now.

There is no Gospel According to St. Youtube.

Posted: 01 February 2017 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2327
Joined  2011-01-20

Scottish Rite is much different than the Shrine. I’ve had men try to join my lodge and when asked why they say, “Because I want to be a Shriner.” In Scottish Rite, on the other hand, over 90% of its members remain active in their lodges with many serving as Officers. I’m one.

Scottish Rite is the part of the Fraternity where I found true brotherhood. I’ve seen the Rite come to the relief of many worthy brothers. Although the Valley always needs helpers, I have never been pressured to take on any more than I want to. I love the fact that I can come for a great dinner, see a lesson from the sidelines and enjoy the company of those seeking light from the “graduate school of Masonry”. Sometimes it’s great to just be a brother.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 01 February 2017 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2017-01-17

-

Posted: 02 February 2017 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2014-06-15
Quentin Schuetz - 01 February 2017 11:01 PM

...At one point I let slip that I had considered also joining the Shriners way in the future because of my wife and her history. The person immediately told me that he typically votes against people that want to immediately jump over to the other bodies…

There are some in my lodge who will not vote for a man if they personally hear him say, “I’m joining Freemasonry so that I can be a Shriner”. I have to think about it myself.

It has nothing to do with the Shrine per se, but if the only reason the man is joining is so that he can pay dues and never grace the doors of the lodge again, and be active or just party with the Shrine then the lodge really doesn’t need him. We need active and loyal members not the money.

There is a group in my area that is pushing for the Shrine to change their requirement of being a Freemason for membership. Of course it would mean that the Shrine would cease to be a Masonic appendant/concordant body. Some say that it would hurt the Shrine as some members are Masons first Shriners second. Others say it will hurt the lodges for the opposite reason. I see it as a win for both. Men can join the Shrine without the requirement which would mean more applicants. And those who join Freemasonry would be doing so because they really want to join.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Deacon - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 08 February 2017 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2016-08-26

Each lodge night, and degree class night for that matter, there is always at least SOME discussion about “you should join…” and whatnot.

Here is my take on these discussions… Keep in mind I am only a FellowCraft.

1) I think far too many people are far too “pushy” with the “you should join…” commentary.  While it is a great way to get folks to join the appendent bodies, it may be too much too quickly for the folks, like me, just entering the craft.

2) That being said, regardless of which body, if any, you decide to join, you must keep in good standing of your blue lodge.  In addition to this, there are annual dues for each of the appendent bodies and other lodges you decide to join (all while maintaining good standing with your own blue lodge).

Signature 

Brother Ken

St. John’s 1P, RI
EA 10/19/16
FC 1/18/17
MM 3/15/17
Signed By-Laws 5/17/17

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Posted: 08 February 2017 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2327
Joined  2011-01-20

The advice I give those who are raised in my lodge when they ask about the appendant bodies is to wait at least a year before joining any of them. This gives them a Chance to learn about each of them and get more from the Craft Lodge.  I personally waited five years and planned to join Scottish Rite when I stepped down from the East.  I joined early when I saw the Rite come to the relief of a distressed worthy brother. I knew I wanted to be part of it.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3052 seconds.