Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Seeking input from Christian Masons
Posted: 11 January 2017 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2017-01-10

Hello, all.  I’m interested to know if any of you of struggled with joining due to your Christianity or church life.  I am entirely interested in joining Freemasonry and have done much research on the fraternity, but do not have many personal connections with masons other than one friend and a few acquaintances.  Depending on what you read, so many anti-masonic sites will say that the fraternity is against Christianity, referencing oaths and dark rituals.  Pro sites debunk these things with decent arguments.  My friend that I mentioned always sheds a wonderful light on the fraternity and speaks of brotherhood, morals, and charity.  I have visited the lodge and met what seem to be wonderful men.  My tour of the lodge only intensified my interest in joining. 

I guess I struggle with it because I have no family history in the fraternity and all my family speaks of Freemasonry as some type of taboo or something “dark”.  I don’t believe those things at all.  I attend church on a regular basis with my wife and children and do not know any masons in the church either.  We are Orthodox and very “old school” if you will.  Have any of you struggled with this and if so how did your membership change your perception?  Good and bad.  I truly am more than interested and want to join.  Looking to see if anyone else felt this way.  Thank you

Posted: 11 January 2017 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  403
Joined  2014-03-28

I can’t say as I’ve ever had to struggle with it. As both a Christian and a Mason, I can see nothing whatever in Freemasonry which conflicts in any way with the teachings of Jesus.

Rumors of dark rituals and Satanism are simply false. There is no truth to them. In 40 years as a Mason, I’ve never seen a hint of it.

Much of the supposed ‘conflict’ comes from ignorance, credulity and fear of the unknown. Let me give you one instance. There is a great clamor over the elected head of a lodge being called the ‘worshipful master’. “No man can serve two masters!” we are told. Yet, if we look at the gospel of Matthew, it is absolutely clear that Jesus was speaking of greed, of the desire for money. The verse in question (and I wonder how many using this argument have actually read it) specifically mentions money. And, curiously, the same people making that argument have no problems with their wives singing in a church choral group led by a choirmaster, their daughters going to band camp under the direction of a bandmaster or their sons being taught to tie knots by a scoutmaster.

The claim fails on so many levels, as do just about all of such claims. I treasure my Bibles, but in such a magnificent, complex work, one can find rationales for and against almost anything if one is selective in interpretation. Such claims are proof that the authors went to the Bible seeking not guidance but rather confirmation of an existing bias. That’s not how one should use the Good Book.

“But the term ‘worshipful’ means that Masonry is a religion!” we are assured by its enemies.  Yet keep in mind that ours is a very old group and much of the language we use in our meetings is centuries old.  Look in any good dictionary and you will be told that ‘worshipful’ is simply an archaic term for ‘honorable’. Indeed, the mayor of my city is addressed in council meetings as, ‘Your Worship’. Not a religion, not a religious term.

“But Masons keep things secret and swear oaths!” Yes, we do. (Actually, the oath I swore bound me, among other things, to be a loyal subject of the land and to obey the lawful authority. That part is generally missed by critics.) As to secrets, every group has its secrets - cops, lawyers, doctors, priests all have secrets. Members of a board of directors for a corporation often have to sign nondisclosure agreements. See how far you would get on a sports team if you leaked the team playbook. Fathers and mothers keep things private from their children. The claim is overblown. We have some things we keep private, that’s all.

In short, I cannot convince the hard-line critics, for their minds are closed. I would however invite you to consider the issue with an open mind. For myself, I have if anything had my Christian faith strengthened by the goodness I have seen in lodge.

God bless.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 11 January 2017 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  231
Joined  2014-06-15

I can say this…

I was raised by a Southern Baptist father and a United Methodist mother. I lived next door to my United Methodist grandparents (grandfather was a 55 year mason at his death). I attended a non-denominational Christian school from K5 - 9th grade. I am Christian. I have even been very active in my local church as lay minister and mentoring teenage boys for close to a decade.

I have had absolutely no issues, conflicts or contradictions between my faith and Freemasonry.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Deacon - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 12 January 2017 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  493
Joined  2012-01-30

In my opinion those who have an issue with the Masonic lodge and Christianity don’t have even a basic understanding of one or both.  There is no conflict.

Signature 

DeWayne
Kensington-Bethesda Lodge No. 198 - Senior Warden
RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF

I’m living in the DC area now.

There is no Gospel According to St. Youtube.

Posted: 12 January 2017 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2313
Joined  2011-01-20

After 300 years, you would think the truth about us would be plain to see and everyone would know who and what we really are. Let me assure you of one simple fact: if you join and decide, for any reason, that the Fraternity is not for you all it takes is to sign a simple form called a demit and you can leave at any time. I’m sure you will find that being a part of our order will enhance, not detract from your faith.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 12 January 2017 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-01-10

Thank you gentleman for your replies.  I sincerely enjoy reading them and look forward to the different responses.  I’m sure you may have had to answer questions like these in the past so I hope it’s not an annoying topic, but regardless, I truly appreciate the input. 

I guess for many and for me to a certain degree, the fear or lack of total knowledge of the unknown is underlying.  However, like I said in my original post the men I have met have been wonderful.  I remember attending a pancake fundraiser and meeting many masons.  When I returned home my wife asked me how it went?  I said to her it was great!  Everyone I met was more then welcoming and extremely friendly.  So friendly to the point I kinda questioned it.  So I decided to go to another fundraiser and again it was a great experience.  One night my friend who I have known since high school invited me to dinner at the lodge.  I went and got a chance to sit in the lounge and just speak to the guys about everything and anything and it was super.  All of this plus all of the positive research I have done make it almost a “no brainer” to petition.

My only hesitation was the lack of family or closer connections to ask some of these questions as far as faith is concerned.  So I thank all of you for these responses and I look forward to the personal stories and it is reassuring that Freemasonry has advanced your faith.  Has anyone entered Masonry without family history?  Also, has anyone had any issues with family regarding your membership?  Thank you

Posted: 12 January 2017 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2079
Joined  2008-01-21

I am delighted to hear that your experiences have been positive and beneficial. I am certain that should you choose to associate yourself with our Gentle Craft, that your future experiences will be similarly positive and beneficial.

Many men petition our Craft, without having any Masons in their immediate families. Owing to the internet, and some excellent documentaries on History channel, and Discovery, we will certainly see more.

Myself, I have many family members who were Masons. My father, both my grandfathers, and my great-uncle(33d).

No one in my family ever objected to my Masonic membership.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 12 January 2017 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2313
Joined  2011-01-20
Friend - 12 January 2017 10:09 AM

Thank you gentleman for your replies.  [snip]

My only hesitation was the lack of family or closer connections to ask some of these questions as far as faith is concerned.  So I thank all of you for these responses and I look forward to the personal stories and it is reassuring that Freemasonry has advanced your faith.  Has anyone entered Masonry without family history?  Also, has anyone had any issues with family regarding your membership?  Thank you

I’m the first Mason in my family. I had no issues with my immediate family, in fact when I asked my wife what she thought about me joining she said, “It’s about time.” Her father was a very active Mason.

One brother in my lodge had some serious issues. He joined and was active for about six months then stopped showing up for lodge. I tried to get in touch with him but my calls and messages went unanswered. I found out recently that his mother had seen him reading “The Trowel” (The Grand Lodge of Massachusetts quarterly magazine) and hit the roof. She told him that he could not live in her house while being part of that “evil organization of devil worshipers”. He did the right thing and stopped coming.

About a year later, the mother was attending her church and met her new minister on the way out. She couldn’t help but notice his Masonic ring. After questioning him about the ring, he took her into his office and explained the reality of the Fraternity to her. She shortly afterward apologized to her son and told him he could rejoin if he liked.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 14 January 2017 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-01-10

Thank you again everyone, I sincerely appreciate the responses.

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3585 seconds.