Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Advice on becoming an Entered Apprentice.
Posted: 11 January 2017 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2015-12-07

Greetings Gentlemen,

I met the men at my local lodge and turned in my petition and birth certificate. These men were just awesome and treated me like family I am so happy about what’s to come. But something one of them said caught my attention….. “Its a lot of work, a lot to remember!” Nothing is written down—now I am nervous,excited and scared at the same time. Scared of failure that is, if I am found favourable I will be 6th generation andi don’t want to screw up my entered apprenticeship.Any advice ????

Posted: 11 January 2017 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3965
Joined  2007-09-27

Just remember….we’ve all done it, and most of us are NOT rocket scientists!

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Senior Deacon, Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Aleppo Temple

Posted: 11 January 2017 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1437
Joined  2010-11-01

Simply relax and enjoy the experience.  Yes, there is work, but it is not impossible.

Signature 

W:. Bro. Paul Hulseapple
St. Georges Lodge #6
Worshipful Master for the 2016-17 A.D 6016-17 A.L. year

32°AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
Scribe

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 Allied Masonic Degrees
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37

Schenectady NY

Posted: 11 January 2017 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  372
Joined  2014-03-28

Sincere congratulations.

There is indeed a lot of memory work, but that comes later. There is little if any for you during the ceremony itself. The ceremony won’t make much sense to you until you see the it from the sidelines later, so just go with the flow. Millions of good men have been where you are now.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 11 January 2017 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  78
Joined  2015-11-25

I am coming up on my second degree, probably next month. So it wasn’t that long ago I did my EA as you are getting ready to do.

One of the pieces of advice given to me was “You learned the pledge of allegiance you will learn this”. While that is a great UNDERSTATEMENT, it is true. You say the pledge over and over and know it perfectly by heart. Now imagine the same thing, but lots more lines. Like picking a thread of discussion somewhere on this forum, and memorizing every post in the topic. One line at a time.

But that will not come until after your first ceremony. During the ceremony you will be asked a few questions, and all you have to do is answer honestly. There really is no pressure in any way. All of the WORK is on the lodge Brothers and they will take care of you through the whole thing.

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed—02-20-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

Posted: 11 January 2017 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  268
Joined  2013-04-04

I would like to echo the other brothers comments.  There is memory work to be done during your journey. It does require time and effort on your part and at first it may seem impossible but trust me it is not impossible.  I found it very enlightening and felt a great sense of accomplishment upon completion.  You will too.  Enjoy the experience.

Signature 

Bro.Ed Pickett Jr.
Worshipful Master 2017
La Belle Vallee Lodge No 232 F&AM;
Jersey Shore, Pa.
Initiated 1-14-13, Passed 2-11-13, Raised 3-11-13

Master of First Veil 2017
Lafayette RAC No. 163
Lock Haven, Pa.
Mark Master 1-16-14,Most Excellent Master 2-20-14, Royal Arch Mason 3-20-14

Posted: 11 January 2017 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2014-06-15

Yes, there is some work involved; some memorization, and depending on which jurisdiction you are in there may not be anything written down for you to memorize from (ours is mouth to ear only). But as others have said, we have all done it, and we all come from different walks of life and different education levels. You will have plenty of time to learn what you have to learn. So relax and enjoy the experience.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Deacon - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 12 January 2017 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2015-12-07

Thank you all so much for all the advice and encouragement.
I can’t wait to have earned the right to call you brother!

Posted: 12 January 2017 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2301
Joined  2011-01-20

When I teach cipher classes and people find the amount of memorization daunting I ask them how many songs they can sing along with on the radio. That, too is mouth to ear. Relax. Have fun with it. Remember, we have been doing this for over three hundred years.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 20 January 2017 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2016-09-18

The entered apprentice degree requires no memory work. The fellow craft does require some memory work,  but it is far from impossible to learn. I will be getting my FC degree on the first Thursday of next month. It has taken me about a month of studying 2 nights a week to become well versed. You will do great! Good luck, and enjoy it!

Signature 

Collin Hill
Bowie Lodge #439, Sumrall, Mississippi;EA

Posted: 23 January 2017 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2079
Joined  2008-01-21

The amount of memory work, varies from state to state. In KY, there is some mandatory memorization after the EA, and after the FC. But after the MM degree, the memorization is voluntary. If you wish to serve as an officer, you must complete the memorization after the MM.

Please do not be concerned. Your lodge will assign a coach to assist you, you will be fine.

It sounds like you are already a Mason “at heart”!

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 23 January 2017 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2016-08-26

I am going to repost something I wrote not long ago as I think it fits here perfectly.

First… Welcome to the Craft.

Second, as a new Mason (Still an EA FC), I will give you a couple of tips..

1) Just let it flow.  When you go through your ceremony, LISTEN to what is said, THINK about what is said and (I think) PAY ATTENTION to what you do during the ceremony.  (all of these will come in handy. When you start your learning, it would be easier if your able to envision what happened during your ceremony)

2) Relax and Enjoy the adventure.  Many folks will not give you much insight, as letting you experience it first hand will go a long way.  Please do not be discouraged by it, it truly is for your benefit.

3) Do not research anything on the internet right now.  While there are some GREAT sites with perfectly accurate information (depending on jurisdiction), there are MANY MORE sites that have it partially or (worse) totally wrong.

4) Get to know all your brothers in the lodge.  Learn to lean on your instructors when you have questions, that is what they are there for.  While they may be unable to answer all of your questions, due to you being new to the craft, they may be able to answer some things.

5) ALWAYS KEEP IN MIND.. You are new to the craft, you are EXPECTED to not know everything.  While being a quick study helps, do not let the fear of doing something wrong, keep you from trying new things.

Cheers!

Signature 

Brother Ken

St. John’s 1P, RI
EA 10/19/16
FC 1/18/17

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing ~ Theodore Roosevelt

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3201 seconds.