Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Mason Ring
Posted: 09 January 2017 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2017-01-07

Hello my name is David and I have a question about my fathers Mason ring.  My father died in 1984 and was
a Mason.  I have his ring and Bible.  I want to know if it is proper for me to ware his ring?  The ring also has my mothers wedding engagement diamond in the ring.  Thank you for your time.

PS My fathers name was Raymond Harley Pope
Englewood CO. Chapter

Thank you again

David

Posted: 09 January 2017 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2319
Joined  2011-01-20
dp51chevy - 09 January 2017 10:56 PM

Hello my name is David and I have a question about my fathers Mason ring.  My father died in 1984 and was
a Mason.  I have his ring and Bible.  I want to know if it is proper for me to ware his ring?  The ring also has my mothers wedding engagement diamond in the ring.  Thank you for your time.

Englewood CO. Chapter

Thank you again

David

Depending on the state you are in, it may be technically illegal to wear it if you are not a mason but those laws are not enforced. If you wear it in honor of your father, the worst thing that may happen is people might ask you some strange questions.  If they do, just tell them it was your father’s ring and you are wearing it to honor his memory. Who knows, you might make some new friends.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 10 January 2017 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2017-01-07

Thank you for information Brother John.

David

Posted: 10 January 2017 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4014
Joined  2007-09-27

Generally non-Masons don’t wear Masonic rings, but nobody is going to force you to take it off, and as John said…it might lead to some strange conversations and new friends.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Senior Deacon, Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Aleppo Temple

Posted: 10 January 2017 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  361
Joined  2012-03-05

It’s a free country, you can wear whatever you want. But wearing a Masonic ring implies you’re a Mason, and why would you want people to think you’re something you’re not? It’s like wearing a class ring for a school you never attended.

Signature 

Dave

Senior Warden, Garden City Lodge A.F. & A.M., Newtonville, MA—Entered: 4/12/01; Passed: 5/10/01; Raised: 6/14/01
Treasurer, Boston University Lodge A.F. & A.M, Boston, MA
Mount Lebanon Lodge A.F. & A.M., Boston, MA
Boston-Lafayette Lodge of Perfection, Scottish Rite Valley of Boston
Aleppo Shrine, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Wilmington, MA

Posted: 10 January 2017 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  361
Joined  2012-03-05
Brother John - 09 January 2017 11:14 PM

Depending on the state you are in, it may be technically illegal to wear it if you are not a mason but those laws are not enforced. If you wear it in honor of your father, the worst thing that may happen is people might ask you some strange questions.  If they do, just tell them it was your father’s ring and you are wearing it to honor his memory. Who knows, you might make some new friends.

I’ve never heard of such a law and I don’t see how it would even be Constitutional, since choice of clothing and jewelry are forms of expression protected by the 1st Amendment.

Signature 

Dave

Senior Warden, Garden City Lodge A.F. & A.M., Newtonville, MA—Entered: 4/12/01; Passed: 5/10/01; Raised: 6/14/01
Treasurer, Boston University Lodge A.F. & A.M, Boston, MA
Mount Lebanon Lodge A.F. & A.M., Boston, MA
Boston-Lafayette Lodge of Perfection, Scottish Rite Valley of Boston
Aleppo Shrine, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Wilmington, MA

Posted: 11 January 2017 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2014-06-15

It depends on what you mean by wearing it. If you mean wearing on your finger as a ring, then no because it would falsely identify you as a Master Mason which it sounds like you are not. However, I see know reason why you couldn’t wear it around your neck on a chain.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Deacon - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 12 January 2017 04:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  563
Joined  2012-09-18

NY State has such a law on the books.

Signature 

Past Master, Dryden Lodge #472
Secretary, Caroline Lodge #618
Hudson,Fulton,Dryden Chapter #250 OES
32* A&ASR; Coudersport Pa.
RAM Fidelity #77

Posted: 13 January 2017 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  275
Joined  2013-04-04
dp51chevy - 09 January 2017 10:56 PM

Englewood CO. Chapter

Thank you again

David

David,  I think you would really honor your father’s memory by becoming a Freemason yourself. I am sure he would be proud of you for doing so.  Then wearing his ring would really have meaning to you.  I have and wear my fathers gold Masonic ring.  He gave it to me when I became a Freemason.

Signature 

Bro.Ed Pickett Jr.
Worshipful Master 2017
La Belle Vallee Lodge No 232 F&AM;
Jersey Shore, Pa.
Initiated 1-14-13, Passed 2-11-13, Raised 3-11-13

Master of First Veil 2017
Lafayette RAC No. 163
Lock Haven, Pa.
Mark Master 1-16-14,Most Excellent Master 2-20-14, Royal Arch Mason 3-20-14

Posted: 13 January 2017 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2016-08-26

While I am by no means an expert on many of these subjects, I find myself agreeing with Brother John on this one. 

Is it not the ultimate achievement of a father, for his son to want to show his admiration and honor toward his father?

If people ask, or the conversation goes awry, it is easy enough to explain to people why you wear a ring (or necklace, or tie clip) that belonged to your beloved relative.

As someone very new to the craft, it does present a (likely long time) visible rifts of opinion on both sides.

It strikes me, as I am about to continue into my FC degree..

Where was I first a Mason?  Does this not support the idea?

Signature 

Brother Ken

St. John’s 1P, RI
EA 10/19/16
FC 1/18/17
MM 3/15/17

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing ~ Theodore Roosevelt

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3325 seconds.