Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

The Torah and Universal Law
Posted: 08 January 2017 01:52 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2016-11-29

I was listening to a lecture given by Manly P Hall where he was discussing universal law.

He was discussing all forms of physical law and their absoluteness to achieve physical harmony and proceeded to say that there is a universal spiritual law that must be obeyed to achieve an equivalent spiritual harmony.

I don’t think that there are many spiritual men who would disagree with that statement.

He then went on to stress the importance of the Torah in his lecture.

I know that Manly Hall was expressing his personal opinions and research at the time and not all of his thoughts or writings will be that of a Mason, but I would like to ask if this is the consensus among Judeo-Christian Masons?

Is the Torah viewed as Universal Law in a Masonic sense at least amongst the York Rite?

Thank you

Posted: 08 January 2017 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2341
Joined  2011-01-20

The Torah is the Masonic Volume of Sacred Law for a Jew. It should be the rule and guide of his life.

Other faiths have other books.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 08 January 2017 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  444
Joined  2014-03-28

The holy books and teachings of all religions have a great deal in common - respect the Creator, treat your neighbour fairly, be a good person and so forth.

It is those commonalities which Masons agree on, leaving the other details to rest between the individual and his God.  So to that extent, the Torah has a significant effect on the Craft. On the other hand, the Torah as a whole belongs to the Jews, just as the Bible does to Christians and the Koran to Muslims.

Does that make sense to you?

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 09 January 2017 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4055
Joined  2007-09-27

Also keep in mind that Hall became a Freemason when he was 53, and most of his writing about the craft was done BEFORE he was even made a Mason.  Not sure when the lecture you are referencing was given, but if it was given before 1954 (and even then, he’s not likely to be an expert in his first year), I wouldn’t put much stock in it.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 09 January 2017 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-11-29

Thank you for your replies.

I think that the lecture he gave was when he was rather advanced in years, shortly before his death but I couldn’t tell you which of his lectures it was. I was listening to several back to back at the time.

As I am given to understand Hall was a Christian and he was quoting from the Sermon on the Mount earlier in the same lecture.

Also, I do not believe he was speaking to an exclusively Jewish audience at the time.

I think his point was that if we are believers in the Creator and whether a man is Jewish, Christian or Muslim the Natural, Universal Law must have a point of commonality.

I don’t think that only the Torah being applied is being talked about here but as The Bible consists of The Tanakh,the Gospels and the writings of the disciples.

I think the point tat he was making was that the Torah must be applied in conjunction with the Gospel, if one is Christian.

Personally, I am muslim myself and have decided that the path I will follow is the application of Torah, Gospel and Quran together, while rejecting the Sunnah and Hadith.

I find this the most natural path as it is following the Light and Word that I perceive was sent.

However, I do recognize the ‘backbone’ of the Torah as it is confirmed by the Gospel and Quran.

If I had not perceived truth in the Quran, I would be a Christian who follows the Torah and Gospel without taking any of the Rabbinic Literature into account.

I understand that such things are personal beliefs, but I found it heartwarming to hear a christian preach the Torah and its application and a knowledgeable masonic Christian at that.

Thank you for your comments

Peace

Posted: 11 January 2017 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-11-29

I had no idea about his upbringing. Thank you for enlightening me. It does make a lot of sense.

Posted: 11 January 2017 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  251
Joined  2014-06-15

Also keep in mind that while some of what Hall wrote and said might pertain to Freemasonry most of his books and lectures were prior to him becoming a Freemason. He was brought up in a non-masonic Rosicrucian family. So a lot of his spiritual enlightenment pertains to that upbringing.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Warden - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4231 seconds.