Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Moral turpitude question.
Posted: 06 January 2017 05:35 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2015-12-07

Greetings gentlemen, my name is Joseph and I have a question concerning moral turpitude on the petition. What constitutes as moral turpitude? My concern,the only thing on my record is something I did when I was 19 years old in 2002. And here it is 2017 I am 35 years old and about to petition my local lodge and be the fifth generation to do so. When I was 19 I lie to a police officer and to set an example to my friends he arrested me and charged me with false report to a peace officer. It was classified as a Class B misdemeanor it was the first ,last and only time I ever got in any trouble. Would you consider this action to make me favorable or unfavorable? Any comments or advice would be most welcome and appreciated.

Posted: 06 January 2017 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2288
Joined  2011-01-20

It sounds like you have outgrown your youthful indiscretions and made yourself a better person. Just be honest and show the lodge the man you have become.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 06 January 2017 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3954
Joined  2007-09-27

That doesn’t sound like it would be an issue now, I agree with John.  Of course I can only speak for myself, but I would imagine others reviewing your petition would feel the same.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Senior Deacon, Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Aleppo Temple

Posted: 06 January 2017 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  360
Joined  2014-03-28

Agreed with above.  Moral turpitude, to my mind, would be aimed at addicts and serious alcoholics, wife-beaters, pedophiles, major criminals, etc. There are few of us who would wish to have our entire lives viewed. There is no algorithm to determine who is acceptable; it is on a case-by-case basis. It will be up to you to make the case that you have learned and changed.

This is, to my mind, very much part of what Masonry is. Our purpose is ‘to make good men better’.  We don’t expect perfection, which leads directly to the unstated acceptance that we are all flawed, that there is room for improvement in all of us, that every man is in competition for betterment with the man he was last week, last year, 10 years ago.

Good luck.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 06 January 2017 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2012-01-30

All these later I would think you’re not that person anymore.  However, if I discovered it and you didn’t disclose it that would be an issue.  Not the act all those years ago but the fact that you didn’t inform the lodge.  Just be upfront and honest.

Signature 

DeWayne
Kensington-Bethesda Lodge No. 198 - Senior Warden
RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF

I’m living in the DC area now.

There is no Gospel According to St. Youtube.

Posted: 10 January 2017 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  351
Joined  2012-03-05
Lark - 06 January 2017 12:36 PM

Agreed with above.  Moral turpitude, to my mind, would be aimed at addicts and serious alcoholics, wife-beaters, pedophiles, major criminals, etc. There are few of us who would wish to have our entire lives viewed. There is no algorithm to determine who is acceptable; it is on a case-by-case basis. It will be up to you to make the case that you have learned and changed.

This is, to my mind, very much part of what Masonry is. Our purpose is ‘to make good men better’.  We don’t expect perfection, which leads directly to the unstated acceptance that we are all flawed, that there is room for improvement in all of us, that every man is in competition for betterment with the man he was last week, last year, 10 years ago.

Good luck.

Addiction has nothing whatsoever to do with morality. It’s an illness, not a moral failing.

Signature 

Dave

Senior Warden, Garden City Lodge A.F. & A.M., Newtonville, MA—Entered: 4/12/01; Passed: 5/10/01; Raised: 6/14/01
Treasurer, Boston University Lodge A.F. & A.M, Boston, MA
Mount Lebanon Lodge A.F. & A.M., Boston, MA
Boston-Lafayette Lodge of Perfection, Scottish Rite Valley of Boston
Aleppo Shrine, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Wilmington, MA

Posted: 11 January 2017 11:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  200
Joined  2014-06-15

Most lodges are only interested in any wrong doings as a legal adult (21 years of age or older) unless they have a younger age for membership (some states allow membership at 18 or 19). Moral turpitude may be spelled out in the jurisdiction’s Grand Lodge Constitution. For example, this is how ours defines Moral Turpitude:

“25.1. Any conduct of a Mason involving “moral turpitude” whether committed before or after initiation, is a Masonic offense.

25.2. MORAL TURPITUDE—The term “Moral Turpitude” means more than “Immorality”; there must be involved in the offense charged not only immorality but also an element of inherent baseness, vileness or depravity.

25.3. Any conduct unbecoming a gentleman and which tends to bring discredit upon the brother and embarrassment or disrepute upon the Fraternity is a Masonic offense.”

And then so-called immorality is usually based on the community moral standards in which you live.

Also, in our jurisdiction, you do not have to disclose ALL history. We only ask about any history involving a felony charge. And even if you do have a felony it does not automatically disqualify you from membership. We would take into account when it occurred and whether or not you have taken strides to turn your life around afterwards.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Deacon - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4536 seconds.