Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

New and seeking some advice
Posted: 13 December 2016 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2016-12-07

Hello,

I am new to masonry and I just received my entered apprentice. due to work schedules it is hard to meet with my mentor. Is there some online study guides that I could use? The reason I am asking is because on http://freemason.org/index.htm in the youtube video’s it states that they have online study guides however I can’t seem to find it. Does any one know anything about it?

Signature 

Las Palmas Ponderosa Lodge 366
Entered Apprentice

Posted: 14 December 2016 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1442
Joined  2010-11-01

You will not find study guides online for what you need to learn.  Some states have a cipher booklet that you use but that would be all.  Masonry is not something you do online anyway….

Signature 

W:. Bro. Paul Hulseapple
St. Georges Lodge #6
Worshipful Master for the 2016-17 A.D 6016-17 A.L. year

32°AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
Scribe

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 Allied Masonic Degrees
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37

Schenectady NY

Posted: 14 December 2016 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2315
Joined  2011-01-20

The Fraternity has been building relationships between men for centuries.  Part of the purpose of learning the ritual is to build a bond between the new brother and his mentor. I teach at cipher class every Saturday evening for the group we have going through the degrees. They just became Master Masons and signed the bylaws so there is no more requirement for them to return any proficiency yet they are insisting of continuing the classes. The reason is this was the way we all bonded with each other and they realize they still have much to learn.

I started the class after their Master Mason degree with telling them they now have the responsibility to define their paths in the Fraternity.  I would be happy to see any of them begin their journey to the East. They are my friends and brothers.  They became that by working and studying together.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 14 December 2016 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2016-08-26
Garyp - 13 December 2016 06:17 PM

Hello,

I am new to masonry and I just received my entered apprentice. due to work schedules it is hard to meet with my mentor. Is there some online study guides that I could use? The reason I am asking is because on http://freemason.org/index.htm in the youtube video’s it states that they have online study guides however I can’t seem to find it. Does any one know anything about it?

I would make sure to mention this to your mentor, and your class instructor if it is a different person.

Most lodges, from what I gather, are more than willing to work something out with the new candidates, as far as scheduling time to meet for degree work.  However, it also takes some effort on the candidates part to make sure something can be scheduled.

I am currently and Entered Apprentice.  I am working on my first proficiency, as you are.  My class was supposed to be 9 people, due to schedules, that number dropped.  I only mention this as an example of how often schedules get in the way.  (If my schedule allowed it at the time, I would have started this journey 5-6 years ago)

There is a TON of information that gets passed out, questions answered etc etc.. in the degree classes.  If you have difficulty making it to class and there is little flexibility otherwise, maybe request the instructor take notes (on what can be written about) and send those to you.

Signature 

Brother Ken

St. John’s 1P, RI
EA 10/19/16
FC 1/18/17
MM 3/15/17

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Posted: 18 December 2016 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2015-10-21

Brother,

As a rule of thumb, please DO NOT check the internet or any other resource in your first degree, not even in the second.
You learned in the initiation that an E.A. will not discuss Masonically as he he just entered the Craft. Likewise, your mentor is the person who shall be consulted for the respective material and instructions.

Anyway, consult him and I’m sure he will provide you with the suitable answer.

Fraternally.

Signature 

Bro H,
Lebanon Lodge #10,
District Grand Lodge of Syria-Lebanon,
Grand Lodge of New York

Cedars Chapter #335,
Grand Chapter State of New York, Royal Archs Mason

Posted: 23 December 2016 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2014-09-02
Garyp - 13 December 2016 06:17 PM

Hello,

I would go with the word of mouth way. Every GL is different. I’ve been to three different states and they all had different opening, closings and whatnot. I wouldn’t trust that. If you can set aside an hour a week, you’ll get it down.

Signature 

J. Clint Lewey
Edmond, Oklahoma
Edmond Lodge # 37

Posted: 06 January 2017 10:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-12-07

I did find the study guide from the California Grand Lodge. It was a paid course and actually it is quite informative.

So I am in the process of learning my degree and I am going to take the short form. What I am curious now is a gray area from what I am being told and I am getting conflicting information that I am trying to clear up.

I am studying my first degree and I am a visual and a do it type of learner. I don’t do well in just repetitive work and I have to do it along with saying it to remember it. For example I have to write it down and then I learn it.

Can you write out your degree for example:

I type it out over and over to help me memorize it, however I don’t save it. I just do it for education purposes? Is that allowed or is it such a gray area that there really isn’t any answer too?

Signature 

Las Palmas Ponderosa Lodge 366
Entered Apprentice

Posted: 06 January 2017 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2315
Joined  2011-01-20
Garyp - 06 January 2017 10:08 PM

I did find the study guide from the California Grand Lodge. It was a paid course and actually it is quite informative.

So I am in the process of learning my degree and I am going to take the short form. What I am curious now is a gray area from what I am being told and I am getting conflicting information that I am trying to clear up.

I am studying my first degree and I am a visual and a do it type of learner. I don’t do well in just repetitive work and I have to do it along with saying it to remember it. For example I have to write it down and then I learn it.

Can you write out your degree for example:

I type it out over and over to help me memorize it, however I don’t save it. I just do it for education purposes? Is that allowed or is it such a gray area that there really isn’t any answer too?

You should know the answer to this by reviewing your Obligation. What did you promise never to do? Write, print….?

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 09 January 2017 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4003
Joined  2007-09-27
Garyp - 06 January 2017 10:08 PM

Official answer….are you writing it, printing it, cutting it, carving it, stamping it, staining it, marking, dotting, or engraving it?

Unofficial answer….I may or may not know on or more Masons who have found this an effective way to learn ritual! :)

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Senior Deacon, Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Aleppo Temple

Posted: 09 January 2017 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2011-11-10

It also depends exactly WHAT you put into writing - remember that the only bits that you really need to avoid are the methods of recognition/proving.

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 09 January 2017 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4003
Joined  2007-09-27
Richard George - 09 January 2017 02:34 PM

It also depends exactly WHAT you put into writing - remember that the only bits that you really need to avoid are the methods of recognition/proving.

Exactly.  People get really uptight about things that don’t matter so much.  If you’re typing “My brother, there are two kinds of Masonry: Operative and Spectulative” over and over again on Notepad files and then deleting them….you’re probably good to go.  If you’re typing out descriptions of grips, words, dugards and signs, printing them out and carrying them around with you, you’re probably pushing it! :)

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Senior Deacon, Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Aleppo Temple

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4598 seconds.