Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

2 of 2
King Solomon and His Followers- CO edition?
Posted: 07 December 2016 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2015-11-25

Lol that is funny and awesome. The question box is a great solution but does go a long ways to state just how inquisitive you’ve been.

Thanks for the term clarifications. I am sure all the lodge brothers know what and who these people are, but they are not terms that are used in reference when speaking to me at all.

As stated before I know who the 2 men are that signed my petition. Neither has had any teaching or interaction with me on an educational or steward lever at all since signing the petition itself….  no one has, except these coaches I work with on Thursdays for about an hour.

I didn’t know any masons. So when I approached the lodge I had to “hang around” for 6 months before I could petition. Pre lodge dinners, and open public events like Officer Installation. When the time came to ask for signatures, these two men didn’t REALLY REALLY know me, no one REALLY did. And still don’t. They got to know me enough that they were willing to give me a chance. The brothers are all getting to know me still, but I think they are satisfied that they made the right decision.

It seems I am the only one initiated in a long time that has worked out. While I was studying for the past 5 months, I was told that there are about 7 or so EAs that have been initiated before me. But none of them come to practice and I have seen NONE at lodge. I am the only apron with the flap “turned up”. None have been initiated SINCE I joined either.

There was ONE EA proficiency about a month ago. He is a current member’s son and has been EA for almost a year. He was up against the deadline to do the proficiency or start over. There is one initiation next month, again another member’s son.

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed—02-20-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

Posted: 07 December 2016 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2016-08-26

This is an excellent example of the differences between lodges.  Some lodges (South Africa?) take 3 years until you can be a Master Mason.  Some Lodges, depending on the “program” can make you a Master Mason in a day, 3 months, 6 months or longer, it all depends on the lodge and the jurisdiction.

Some lodges have enough candidates to run all 3 proficiencies during the same timeframe, others (like mine) run candidates through 1 class per year.  Others, may not have a class in years.  It is relative to the number of candidates available.

As for the Brothers children, even they need to go through all the degrees as you are.  They may get a little more instruction by virtue of them having their father right there when needed.

As for my questions, it is kind of a running joke with several officers about how many questions I come up with per week.  ( I get the feeling they run a weekly pool, lol )

Signature 

Brother Ken

St. John’s 1P, RI
EA 10/19/16
FC 1/18/17
MM 3/15/17
Signed By-Laws 5/17/17

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Posted: 07 December 2016 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-01-20

The reason I suggested that you ask your sponsor the questions you have is that he is the person who is putting his reputation on the line for you. He vouched for you first and without that signature you would not be where you are today. As a result, I usually suggest a new brother always talk to their sponsor first. That way nobody is embarrassed and your questions, at least, get asked if not answered right away.

Remember, this is for life. Slow down and enjoy the ride. Get to know your brothers and let them get to know you. Also, realize that not every Mason will have the depth of knowledge required to answer all your questions. This is not a school where we put the answers up on a whiteboard for you to copy down. We set you on the path, how you choose to follow it is up to you. The number one thing, the most important thing you will ever learn in Masonry is the tenants of your profession: Brotherly Love, Truth and Relief. Explore those basics, people have spent lifetimes doing that.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 08 December 2016 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-11-25
Brother Ken - 07 December 2016 11:48 AM

This is an excellent example of the differences between lodges.  Some lodges (South Africa?) take 3 years until you can be a Master Mason.  Some Lodges, depending on the “program” can make you a Master Mason in a day, 3 months, 6 months or longer, it all depends on the lodge and the jurisdiction.

Some lodges have enough candidates to run all 3 proficiencies during the same timeframe, others (like mine) run candidates through 1 class per year.  Others, may not have a class in years.  It is relative to the number of candidates available.

As for the Brothers children, even they need to go through all the degrees as you are.  They may get a little more instruction by virtue of them having their father right there when needed.

As for my questions, it is kind of a running joke with several officers about how many questions I come up with per week.  ( I get the feeling they run a weekly pool, lol )

Yeah longer periods are much more traditional. In the old days you may spend several years as an EA paying 1 month’s salary every year before becoming FC. And so on and so on to MM before you really even get to be a Mason and sit in lodge. In today’s pace, for masonry to survive it would HAVE to be faster than that. And most lodges do business on the EA degree so every man can feel like a mason and sit in lodge.

Our lodge is an old lodge. The building is old, the charter is older than that moving around the city several times. The Lodge brothers are getting up in age. We never have ALL the officer seats filled for meetings. And usually about 8 or maybe 10 in the audience. Making degree work difficult to schedule, especially multiple degrees.

Installation is this month so I assume ALL officer seats will be filled for that and many more inactive members in the audience as well as visitors and guests. Last year the south audience was nearly full and a lot of the north also. Most of those people I have not seen again since then. This year I will attend installation as a Mason and brining my wife as my own guest.

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed—02-20-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

Posted: 08 December 2016 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2016-08-26

I guess I am fortunate in that when I was researching the lodge I joined, I asked a member of the Grand Council about the activities of the different lodges.  (I am not one to join something and then do nothing for long periods of time, I like activity)  He directed me to look at several lodges and I continued my researched from there, based on my schedule and such.

I was able to attend a Semi-Public Installation of Officers this past weekend (and the banquet afterwards). Wow, it was quite the treat to see.  If my timing accurate, I will be a Master Mason when my own lodge next does their Installations.

Signature 

Brother Ken

St. John’s 1P, RI
EA 10/19/16
FC 1/18/17
MM 3/15/17
Signed By-Laws 5/17/17

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Posted: 08 December 2016 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-11-25
Brother John - 07 December 2016 10:27 PM

The reason I suggested that you ask your sponsor the questions you have is that he is the person who is putting his reputation on the line for you…
Remember, this is for life. Slow down and enjoy the ride. Get to know your brothers and let them get to know you…
We set you on the path, how you choose to follow it is up to you…

There are far too often assumptions here that everyone is in a hurry. My degree stud is stalled for at least 2 months now. I’ve stated more than once that this interest is aside from my degrees. I stated I do not want to get the cart before the horse. I have some things I can concentrate on in the mean time like karate and I have been trying to self teach the Irish Whistle. I have other things to do. The reason I came here was because I already asked the people I know to ask. And this section is dedicated to “New Masons’.

Seemed appropriate. :-/

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed—02-20-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

Posted: 08 December 2016 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-11-25
Brother Ken - 08 December 2016 10:18 AM

I guess I am fortunate in that when I was researching the lodge I joined, I asked a member of the Grand Council about the activities of the different lodges…

When I first became interested and decided to make the step, I used the State Grand Lodge Website to submit my information. Nothing, I was never contacted. I called the local lodge multiple times and left messages. Weeks passed by, nothing. To this day, still no one has followed up on those messages I left. Finally I checked their calendar and showed up before a scheduled meeting. Funny thing is I sat out there for almost an hour on the steps waiting for someone to show up. Rang the doorbell. (I think it doesn’t work) I didnt know everyone at this lodge uses the back door. Finally an old man (80+) and his son in law (60+ shuffle up to the front door and I made my first contact with a mason. If this duo hadn’t came to the front door, I may not have made any contact at all.

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed—02-20-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

Posted: 08 December 2016 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2016-08-26

Now THAT is some dedication. LOL

Signature 

Brother Ken

St. John’s 1P, RI
EA 10/19/16
FC 1/18/17
MM 3/15/17
Signed By-Laws 5/17/17

Posted: 08 December 2016 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1448
Joined  2010-11-01
Brother Joseph - 08 December 2016 10:18 AM

There are far too often assumptions here that everyone is in a hurry. My degree stud is stalled for at least 2 months now. I’ve stated more than once that this interest is aside from my degrees.

I will throw this out there, the study of our degrees is never over. What do you think is the purpose of the three degrees?  What do you do when you are gathered and “working” on your degree?  I will explain why I asked the question once I get to read your reply.

Signature 

W:. Bro. Paul Hulseapple
St. Georges Lodge #6
Worshipful Master for the 2016-17 A.D 6016-17 A.L. year

32┬░AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
Scribe

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S.
Schenectady NY

Posted: 08 December 2016 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-11-25

I think the purpose of the degrees is to give me tools, to prepare me to BEGIN (at MM) learning and practicing to be a mason every day for the rest of my life. Simple answer is MM will be the beginning, not the end. Those tools and secrets will be shared as I am ready and prepared one bite at a time. I know I am already chewing on a mouthful at EA. I could probably spend years tediously studying researching and becoming TRUELY proficient with all the symbols, words and allegories presented in my Degree ritual of obligation, lecture and charge. (for this reason I personally have little respect for the act of making MM in one day or on sight)

The proficiency exam was just the lodge Brother’s way of gaging if I actually comprehend my obligation and the various portions of my ritual degree and if I can be trusted with the secrets of a few things.

I know for certain my ashlar needs a lot of shaping up and that my life priorities do not yet align very neatly with the twenty-four inch gage. No one explained that to me. I was paying attention. I can look at my own ashlar. I can measure myself against the twenty-four inch gage and I see for myself that I am off. That is why it’s a tool.

As a Christian the Holy Bible is important to for me in Masonry. I can spend the rest of my life just working on myself with that one tool without ever making the progression to other tools or details of the obligation, lecture and charge. Let alone the large Masonic world yet to be shown to me in the next 2 degrees.

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed—02-20-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

Posted: 08 December 2016 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1448
Joined  2010-11-01

Excellent answer my Brother.  What would you say however, if I told you that there is more to it than that?  You have barely scratched the surface with your terrific answer.  Think about the degree itself.  Think about more than the words or the items presented to you that are tangible.  Yes they are important but there is more, MUCH more.  Some will say there isn’t and that is fine too.  I am confident that you too shall find it.  That being said, I feel even more strongly now that after you become a MM, definitely look into Enlightenment Lodge 198.  Not being from CO myself, I am not sure if Denver is within a reasonable distance for you or not but they do, or did, offer non active membership that entitled you to receive their publication.  I will also have other suggestions for you down the road pertaining to other Masonic organizations that may interest you.

Signature 

W:. Bro. Paul Hulseapple
St. Georges Lodge #6
Worshipful Master for the 2016-17 A.D 6016-17 A.L. year

32┬░AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
Scribe

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S.
Schenectady NY

Posted: 08 December 2016 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2015-11-25

Thanks, Golden is a suburb of Denver. Not far at all.

There are a few reasons I am interested in becoming MM. But none of them are related to rushing my work. (also none of them are related to holding any office chairs or stroking my ego)As I’ve stated there isn’t a LOT of involvement for me in my local lodge, especially so as an EA. I know there are more State level gatherings and activities to feel more included as a mason after reaching MM. (not state level leadership or anything like that)
I am interested in York Rite. Again I don’t want to get the cart before the horse. But I cant even peer in until MM.

My job and shift change a lot sometimes. I’ve been stable with this schedule for over a year. I’m relieved, it let’s me do things like attend lodge, practices, karate, family activities. I am concerned that if I don’t stick to this path to the end, if something happens to disrupt my learning before I am MM, I may get off course and may never be able to steer it back on again.

Signature 

Entered-06-20-16
Passed—02-20-17
Golden City Lodge #1
Golden, CO

2 of 2

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4987 seconds.