Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Entered apprentice with pin questions
Posted: 04 December 2016 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2016-09-18

Last week I took my initiation, and it was the most amazing thing ever. I can’t wait to actually watch it preformed on someone else now. I have my exam booklet, and I meet with an instructor this Wednesday. I can’t describe the feeling I have about this. I have so many questions to ask about tradition. I look online and read so much, and one thing has caught my eye. Lapel puns. I see the compass with the G, adopted in 1717. But I also see one with a skull and crossbones. What is the difference here? Is it just archaic and no longer used? Is t only used in certain rituals?

Posted: 04 December 2016 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2313
Joined  2011-01-20

The Scull and Crossed Bones is a symbol used by the Knights Templar in York Rite.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 04 December 2016 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  928
Joined  2011-03-20

http://www.masonforum.com/viewthread/11371/#33953

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 05 December 2016 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2014-06-15

Here’s my best advice to you at this particular time in your journey:

I admire your zeal for the craft, but stop reading/researching on the internet. Yes, you will find some useful information, but there is just as much misinformation out there. Part of the experience is finding out what you need to know from your brothers and mentors. Don’t hurry the process.

As you move through your degrees you will learn information and meanings about different symbols. If you hear or see a symbol, story, or idea from your current degree that has not been explained then ask your assigned mentor about it. They should be able to tell you something about it, and if they don’t know then they need to find out or find someone who does.

But don’t try to jump ahead and outside of the degree you should be concentrating on, in your case the Entered Apprentice degree and it’s symbology (paraphernalia you wore during the degree, working tools, jewels worn by the officers, Great Lights, Lesser Lights, etc.)

As for pins, rings and such, forget about them for the time being. In most jurisdiction you can’t wear them anyway until you finish the 3rd degree, and there is a reason for that also.

Enjoy the experience.

Signature 

Bro. David Howard
Jr Grand Deacon - GL of Alabama F & AM
Sr. Deacon - Howard E. Palmes Lodge #917, Mobile, Alabama

Posted: 05 December 2016 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4003
Joined  2007-09-27
Brother John - 04 December 2016 11:00 AM

The Scull and Crossed Bones is a symbol used by the Knights Templar in York Rite.

It is also used as a symbol in craft Masonry, but less so here in MA.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Senior Deacon, Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Aleppo Temple

Posted: 05 December 2016 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2016-09-18

Thank you all for your answers. I really appreciate it. I know I need to be patient and learn as I go, I guess I’m just very excited to start this new journey and remember to be patient.

Posted: 06 December 2016 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2015-09-11
Bro DHoward - 05 December 2016 09:03 AM

Here’s my best advice to you at this particular time in your journey:

I admire your zeal for the craft, but stop reading/researching on the internet.  Don’t hurry the process.

As for pins, rings and such, forget about them for the time being.

Enjoy the experience.

I echo all of Bro DHoward’s post but especially the portion I quoted above. Relax and enjoy the journey for now. As you progress most of your questions will be answered. It is a very exciting progression and I would hate for it to be spoiled by things you MAY find on the internet.

Signature 

Ken Byrd

Petitioned 10/15/2013
Initiated 4/15/2014
Passed 3/17/2015
Raised 9/15/2015

Socrates Lodge #373
Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.2928 seconds.