Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Esoteric Freemasonry- The Great Arcanum, Initiantion in the Mysteries and Divine Wisdom
Posted: 29 November 2016 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2016-11-29

Hello and greetings to you all.

My name is Hwey and I would like to talk about esoteric subjects pertaining to the aspects of God.

What I have found is that certain mystery schools and fraternities seem to all have a common knowledge concerning the Word and Wisdom.

When I became aware of ‘how to read’, I looked at symbols used by Freemasons in certain diagrams such as a Right Hand, (Left) Hand, Ear, Foot, Plumb line, bees, compass etc and was pleasantly surprised.

When I flicked through the Gnostic books of the Pistis Sophia and the Gospel of Truth I thought it odd that there were ‘cheat codes’.

When I looked at Merkabah Mysticism and ancient Kabbalah I could understand it.

I fully believe that the disciplines that I have named above can lead to Righteousness and I am very pleased to see that the Knowledge is intact and taught, although I have been warned that only a few Masons will try the esoteric path, and that I might not be able to discuss such matters openly in a Lodge, depending on the Lodge.

It has been my own experience that much study and self purification is needed to obtain this enlightenment.

My question is this:

How is it that Aleister Crowley, who was not a member of any official Masonic Organisation, nor was he a righteous man, was able to write this?:

The Pentagram

[Dedicated to George Raffalovich]

In the Years of the Primal Course, in the dawn of terrestrial
birth,
Man mastered the mammoth and horse, and Man was the
Lord of the Earth.

He made him an hollow skin from the heart of an holy tree,
He compassed the earth therien, and Man was the Lord of
the Sea.

He controlled the vigour of steam, he harnessed the light-
ning for hire;
He drove the celestial team, and man was the Lord of the
Fire.

Deep-mouthed from their thrones deep-seated, the choirs
of the æeons declare
The last of the demons defeated, for Man is the Lord of
the Air.

Arise, O Man, in thy strength! the kingdom is thine to
inherit,
Till the high gods witness at length that Man is the Lord
of his spirit.

It baffles me that this is possible and makes me feel very uneasy as I thought that this was reserved for good men…

Peace and Love

Posted: 29 November 2016 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4039
Joined  2007-09-27

Because no fraternal organization has ownership of any of they symbolism and philosophies of man.  Information is information, available to those who search it out.  Some is easier to find than other.

This kind of discussion would probably be better suited for a lodge of research as opposed to a forum intended to help non-Masons understand Freemasonry and join the craft.  None of what you’ve mentioned is taught to Freemasons in a lodge.  Any connection is something that is merely assumed by some students of the ancient arts.  These things are up to interpretation, and not all Masons are interpret connections to those areas of study, any more than they would officially hold a connection to any specific faith or ideology.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 29 November 2016 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-11-29

Thank you for your reply Dan.

I did not mean to imply that any of the things I talked about are taught within a Lodge.

I can merely see a connection between divine truths symbolized in the Abrahamic scriptures and the symbols used in Freemasonry itself.

Once again, as you have said, it is up to interpretation, yet I found there is a common interpretation among those who sing about it or compound dark sentences.

This knowledge is not exclusive to Abrahamic scriptures as the ‘mechanics’ are reflected in every major religion that I have ever looked at, whether it be Hinduism, Buddhism, Daoism, Ancient Egyptian,Miao Tribe, Zoroastrian, Hermeticism etc…

There is a universality in the Mechainsm of the Divine which is breathtaking.

Peace

Posted: 29 November 2016 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  431
Joined  2014-03-28

First off, I agree with everything Bro. Dan has said.

Many societies share points of knowledge and philosophies, both esoteric and exoteric. The vesica piscis, for instance, was seen as remarkable in numerous cultures around the world. The equilateral triangle and the golden ratio are universal. It’s almost Jungian the way that quite separate cultures perceive in parallel ways. That doesn’t necessarily mean that such knowledge originated in one place and spread (although that obviously did happen). Some things just seem to be universal.

For instance, you mentioned hands. Given that all elements of humanity share those in much the same way, is it strange that someone seeking an analogy or symbol to teach about or represent strength would eventually seize on the right hand?

As well, a symbol means whatever the teacher or viewer wants it to mean, no more and no less. The same symbol can mean very different things to different people or even the same people under differing circumstances.

As to Crowley, although by most accounts he was a most evil man, that has never been a bar to perception, intelligence or learning.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Zetland Lodge No. 83
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 29 November 2016 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2010-11-01
Kim - 29 November 2016 10:04 AM

Hello and greetings to you all.

My name is Hwey and I would like to talk about esoteric subjects pertaining to the aspects of God.

What I have found is that certain mystery schools and fraternities seem to all have a common knowledge concerning the Word and Wisdom.

I have to ask, and I am sure others may be curious as well, are you a member of a lodge?

Signature 

W:. Bro. Paul Hulseapple
St. Georges Lodge #6
Worshipful Master for the 2016-17 A.D 6016-17 A.L. year

32°AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
Scribe

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S.
Schenectady NY

Posted: 29 November 2016 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  947
Joined  2011-03-20
Kim - 29 November 2016 10:34 AM

I can merely see a connection between divine truths symbolized in the Abrahamic scriptures and the symbols used in Freemasonry itself.

Once again, as you have said, it is up to interpretation, yet I found there is a common interpretation among those who sing about it or compound dark sentences.

This knowledge is not exclusive to Abrahamic scriptures as the ‘mechanics’ are reflected in every major religion that I have ever looked at, whether it be Hinduism, Buddhism, Daoism, Ancient Egyptian,Miao Tribe, Zoroastrian, Hermeticism etc…

There is a universality in the Mechainsm of the Divine which is breathtaking.

Hi there I am afraid that you are making the common mistake (amongst non-Masons anyway) of assuming that the symbols employed within different systems and organisations have the same esoteric definition. The whole point of esotericism is that the symbols of your system do not have the same meaning so that an adherent of a different system does not understand your system.

In effect what you are doing is comparing apples to oranges, which I am afraid has landed you with a lemon.

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 29 November 2016 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-11-29

Thank you Lark for your reply.

You are correct to say that any institution could agree upon the meaning of a symbol, such as ‘eye’ or ‘providence’ and it could mean a different thing to what I think it means…... But on the whole, of those who have been of the older institutions, seem to link it to Spirit.

As you have said ‘Strength’ could easily be taught with the linking of a ‘Right Hand’ and this would not be wrong as long as we don’t have use other expressions such as ‘Power’....

In cases where we have to start symbolically linking the 2 similar, yet different terms of ‘Power’ and ‘Strength’ I find that there is a general universality that One of these terms falls to the Right and One of these terms fall to the Left.

But without the context of the ‘whole image’ I suppose, when one is teaching the term ‘Strength’ alone it could easily be linked to right hand.

As you have said, the context of the discussion is VERY important and I think (one man’s opinion) that the same context is used by a large number of the organizations I had mentioned before.

Peace

Posted: 29 November 2016 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-11-29

Thank you PDH825 for your reply.

I am not a Mason, but I hold them in high regard as they chase Righteousness and Truth.

Anyone who does this I view as an ally, as they are ‘not my enemy’, and worthy of serving the Divine.

Peace and Love

Posted: 29 November 2016 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-11-29

Thank you Mike Martin for your reply.

If this is the case then thank you for taking the time to speak with me and indulge my fantasy.

Peace

Posted: 29 November 2016 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2329
Joined  2011-01-20
Kim - 29 November 2016 04:46 PM

Thank you PDH825 for your reply.

I am not a Mason, but I hold them in high regard as they chase Righteousness and Truth.

Anyone who does this I view as an ally, as they are ‘not my enemy’, and worthy of serving the Divine.

Peace and Love

As you seem to have do quite a bit of research into our gentle Craft, you probably understand that we promise never to reveal the secrets of our order to those outside of it. Since you have told us you are not a mason and this forum is available to the general public, we will necessarily have to avoid speaking about the details of our rituals. Since the core of our code and the lessons of morality we impart are in the ritual,  it will be a very difficult task to continue with any more detail.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 29 November 2016 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-11-29

Thank you for your reply John.

Could you point me towards a fraternity where I could discuss such things with like minded people?

Peace

Posted: 29 November 2016 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2329
Joined  2011-01-20
Kim - 29 November 2016 08:56 PM

Thank you for your reply John.

Could you point me towards a fraternity where I could discuss such things with like minded people?

Peace

Join us then join the lodge of research.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 29 November 2016 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-11-29

Thank you for your kind reply John.

Peace

Posted: 30 November 2016 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2016-08-25

I nearly recognized myself in your words, Kim. What else may be expected in the world of post-industrialism, other than the fact, that there will be terabytes of raw information available to anyone. But I would agree with one thing mentioned above, Aleister Crowley was an evil, no doubt ;)

Posted: 30 November 2016 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2016-11-29

Thank you for your kind reply Gleb.

I think you are absolutely right.

Peace

‹‹ Masonic Prejudice      Interested Atheist ››

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.8510 seconds.